Page 19 of 434 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

There's a difference because Monet isn't a real person, no comic book woman is. They don't actually have autonomy, they aren't making these choices about how they dress.

In real life it's usually male writers, artists and editors who are putting them in these skimpy outfits with the express purpose of titilating the audience. It's exploitative, not empowering

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    There's a difference because Monet isn't a real person, no comic book woman is. They don't actually have autonomy, they aren't making these choices about how they dress.

In real life it's usually male writers, artists and editors who are putting them in these skimpy outfits with the express purpose of titilating the audience. It's exploitative, not empowering
    it's a representation of reality (....of the human nature), plenty of women wear revealing outfits by choice, it stands to reason that the same would happen in the marvel universe, or should every character now be covered head to toe in buggy non-form revealing clothes?
    Last edited by Daedra; 04-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So it's the creators are creeps part?
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

jeeze the purity police really don't like women here, Monet was created to be a brown Wonder Woman, empowered, and her clothes shouldn't be conservative, especially because she has such an international influence

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    it's a representation of reality, plenty of women wear revealing outfits by choice, it stands to reason that the same would happen in the marvel universe, or should every character now be covered head to toe in buggy non-form revealing clothes?
    not when they are working. police officers, firefighters, soldiers.
    doesnt make sense go all revealing if you arent invulnerable

How is comparing fictional superheroes to police officers, firefighters and soldiers supposed to help?
    They dress like that due to dress codes and functionality. Since when did fictional super beings have to follow those rules?
    "Cable was right!"

Female characters can wear more revealing outfits and costumes if

A. It suits their personality

If criteria A is met, then there is further reason for them to dress less conservatively if

B. It provides visual diversity between them and the other women they interact with. Visual diversity is key and any uniformity must be intentional and well thought out.

Then to be effective, it has to most importantly be

C. A simple, yet interesting design. Clean and uncomplicated, but recognizable and striking.

Does Jean meet A? I wouldn't say so, but the Marvel Girl costume isn't skimpy, and is one she designed herself (and has shown sentimental attachment to in Dark Phoenix). So she passes A. She also passes B, because she stands out from the characters with good designs, though I'll hesitate to say Maker X is that good. She passes B because she fails C because that costume just sucks lol.

As for Monet, whether her costumes are revealing her not, they typically fail C regardless. Someone needs to do more with the lines on her bodysuit than just "ehhh, throw some lines"
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    these are just super heroes with all kind of powers and histories, by that reasoning everyone should ask iron man for one of his armors, possibly the first model, the one that looks like washing machine in order to avoid revealing any details about their breast or booty size
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How is comparing fictional superheroes to police officers, firefighters and soldiers supposed to help?
    They dress like that due to dress codes and functionality. Since when did fictional super beings have to follow those rules?
    Daedra just said that fictional women should be allowed to dress skimpily because real life women do it.

Well in reality, when women risk their lives in a dangerous line of work they wear practical and functional outfits

You can't have it both ways. Either you want realism or you accept that these pin up costumes with cleavage down to their navels are male-oriented fantasy fodder, and not due to a woman's right to choose how to express herself

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean Grey is a telepath, she floats around and furrows her brow with shields up. Practicality is irrelevant. She could go out in high heels and a dress and logically be just as effective.

Daedra just said that fictional women should be allowed to dress skimpily because real life women do it.

Well in reality, when women risk their lives in a dangerous line of work they wear practical and functional outfits

You can't have it both ways. Either you want realism or you accept that these pin up costumes with cleavage down to their navels are male-oriented fantasy fodder, and not due to a woman's right to choose how to express herself
    no, you are missing my point entirely, I just said that, as we know, some women (and the same is true for men) like more revealing outfits so it's only natural to have also some super heroes that enjoy wearing revealing costumes, also super powers allow for a larger range of options compared to powerless fighters
    Last edited by Daedra; 04-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.

And by my comment I meant if superheroes were they wouldn't be bonded by the rules of practicality, functionality and dress codes like the occupations spirit2011 mentioned so the outcome would still be similar to what Daedra mentioned and they can wear whatever they want.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    And by my comment I meant if superheroes were they wouldn't be bonded by the rules of practicality, functionality and dress codes like the occupations spirit2011 mentioned so the outcome would still be similar to what Daedra mentioned and they can wear whatever they want.
    exactly! All this worrying about exploiting of bodily parts and functional protective gear will only lead every super hero to be dressed like this:

graytos1.jpg
    Last edited by Daedra; 04-11-2019 at 12:57 PM.

The point is that there are reasons why Captain Marvel shouldn't be in the black swimsuit and there are reasons why Emma Frost should dress like a model and the ideal scenario is having characters who are on all parts of that spectrum.

But the designs have to be good.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Won't somebody PLEASE think of straight dude's boners? Show some empathy!