Page 247 of 320 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,705 of 4786
  1. #3691
    Incredible Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    The X-Men shown planting Krakoa around the planet and the solar system remind me exactly of the film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". If you haven't ever seen either the new or the old version, I suggest you stream it.
    I've seen all four versions and own the first two, but thanks for your concern. I'm not seeing any indication of the few X-Men we have seen in this event so far that suggests they have been body snatched.

  2. #3692
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Tycon doing the Lord's work unlike the rest of you.
    That's okies.
    If appreciating those ghastly outfits gets one closer to the Holy Divine I would much rather stay Happily Hell Bound, thank you very much.

  3. #3693
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The other side
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    So a retread of the 80's/90's? Got it.

    I guess it's true that some people want the X-men to be stuck in a endless loop reliving the glory years. Hopefully Hickman can kick us out of this rut.
    The 80s and 90s were when the X-men were at their best, both in terms of storytelling, sales and popularity. Some people like to throw out the word nostalgia like it's a bad thing but I bet if you put up a team with the "old guard" getting back to basics against a team of the "newbies/students" moving forward(whatever that means) we all know which is more likely to succeed and which is more likely to fail. Some can wish till they're blue in the face that the veterans retire or are killed off but it's never gonna happen. It's the vets that drive sales and the storylines, it's the vets people are invested in and want to read about not some latecomer students. Yes the students have their fans but if you think they can keep the franchise afloat then good luck. Also the 80s and 90s were when we were getting standard superhero stories, mostly self contained story arcs that were both mutant and non-mutant related. Mutants were still hated and feared but the X-men were a superhero team on good terms with the Avengers and the FF and the storylines were character driven. As one story played out future storylines were seeded in as well. Now going back the last 10-15 years virtually every storyline is the same, possible mutant extinction, talk about retread. Judging by some solicitations for after HoX/PoX it seems that for the most part the status quo will remain the same. Maybe not full on extinction but not mutant dominance either as has been suggested. Guess Magneto's God declaration was premature. So no nostalgia is not a bad thing and wanting the good ole glory days back is fine particularly when that was when the X-men were at their best and on top. If mutants are the dominant species on the planet and ruling the world can the mutant/minority metaphor that resonates with so many readers really apply anymore? What happens if the X-men actually achieves the "dream" both in and out of the MU? Is it back to standard superhero stories, back to the dreaded nostalgia?

  4. #3694
    Incredible Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    731

    Default

    The 90s were dreadful for the X-Men.

  5. #3695
    Astonishing Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Here’s both covers combined....my one issue is that we were robbed of Molina drawing Bishop’s package.

    That's a thing a beauty. Why does it feel like Jean's side frills and Angel/Cyclops pouches are what makes them senior members. nice touch. lol

    Also beast has no shirt. Seniority = free expression.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  6. #3696
    Incredible Member kevinism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    636

    Default

    I like that a few of the men were able to ditch the yellow thong

  7. #3697
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That's a thing a beauty. Why does it feel like Jean's side frills and Angel/Cyclops pouches are what makes them senior members. nice touch. lol


    Also beast has no shirt. Seniority = free expression.
    It’s so Cable can identify his parents easily...

    Can’t wait to own these covers.

    This should be the Mcu movie look at first

  8. #3698
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Man, how'd they convince Nathan to wear that? lmao
    "Cable was right!"

  9. #3699
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That's a thing a beauty. Why does it feel like Jean's side frills and Angel/Cyclops pouches are what makes them senior members. nice touch. lol

    Also beast has no shirt. Seniority = free expression.
    Poor Jubilee.. she looks so old in the face.. I see Bobby is making sure folks know he he has some ice cream cake.

  10. #3700
    Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The 90s were dreadful for the X-Men.
    90s had a distinct flavor but yea, the X-Men in retrospect, were really commercial during that time. More focused on events rather than story.

    The 2000s were exciting but also pretty damn dark. Definitely had its moments. I like that Hickman is drawing from all eras of the X-men's history to tell this story. The scope is huge and the stakes feel very high. I think that when the action comes, it will had been worth waiting for.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

  11. #3701
    Mighty Member hawkeyefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Surely House of M is House of Moira?
    I wouldn’t say surely. It’s possible. I think the obvious choice is that it’s House of Magneto. I lean that way only because there’s no evidence otherwise, and some for Magneto.

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think they should at least suspect she isnt dead considering the timeline hasnt reset. I know Xavier could assume that maybe this is the 10th and final one that Destiny predicted but he has the means to scan the globe to find out if in fact she is truly gone.
    Well, Xavier certainly thought she was dead when it went down. And she is in some way undetectable as a mutant, so she could conceivably avoid discovery.

    But she could also be right there with them at Krakoa. We don’t know at this point.

  12. #3702
    Incredible Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Oh, I don't mind drawing from the 90s in retrospect at all! There was a lot of fun and some cheese to be drawn from, some great characters and even some good stories as well as many OTT silly ones. And the X-Men were never bigger commercially. I know that a ton of fans come from that era. But as a kid who grew up with the books in both the late '80s and the 90s, I remember the quality plummet after adjectiveless 1-3 when CC left was shocking and immediately noticeable. Everything became gimmicks and events, you had Andy Kubert and every other talented artist being pushed to imitate Lee and Liefeld, etc. Eventually I couldn't read very often, it drove me to DC full time for awhile. I'd come for a story or writer I liked - AoA, Mark Waid (who I knew from The Flash), Ellis Excalibur, etc. - but I couldn't commit full time again til the 2000s. Which is not to say Claremont's return was brilliant; Revolution was bugfuck insane and often very silly but at least different (and X-Treme X-Men-onward for him is largely terrible). But Morrison got me back, as did Allred's X-Force/X-Statix, etc.

    The post-Morrison 2000s were worse in a way for the books. The writing was usually better than the 90s of course, and there's some runs I love, but beyond that it was almost all regressive retreads of the 90s or nihilism like Decimation that went nowhere. And with it came the growing realization that Marvel had gone from valuing the X-Men above all else to the detriment of the rest of the company in the 1990s to slowly grinding them down into repetitive misery and devaluing due to rights concerns in the 2000s-onward. Until now.

    I have a lot of love from stuff from all eras of X-history. I just have few illusions about what some of those eras consisted of, to me anyway.

  13. #3703
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    9,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    The 80s and 90s were when the X-men were at their best, both in terms of storytelling, sales and popularity. Some people like to throw out the word nostalgia like it's a bad thing but I bet if you put up a team with the "old guard" getting back to basics against a team of the "newbies/students" moving forward(whatever that means) we all know which is more likely to succeed and which is more likely to fail.
    And the reason nostalgia is a bad word is that this would probably be regardless of quality. I for one want new and inspiring content. Star Wars is the classic example. I will not be going to see the latest movie. I may be the only SW fan here that has no idea what the next one is even called. Not because of some internet rage fuelled pique, but because it’s not SW it’s just nostalgia for SW. Nostalgia is pastiche. Not actually worthy on its own terms.

    Some can wish till they're blue in the face that the veterans retire or are killed off but it's never gonna happen. It's the vets that drive sales and the storylines, it's the vets people are invested in and want to read about not some latecomer students.
    Rhetorically you cheated right there. Liking characters is not nostalgia. ‘Getting the band back together’ is. I am not a Cyclops fan because I am nostalgic for the time he was a preppy scared kid. I am a Cyclops fan because he grew up and developed, becoming a tough, strategic leader who deep inside is fuelled by his fears and his past experiences. He has potential as a character still.

    Yes the students have their fans but if you think they can keep the franchise afloat then good luck.
    Nobody said they could. They can keep their own books alive though. They can even combine in new and interesting ways. Thereby helping to keep the franchise rich and new.

    You then go on to prove how nostalgic you are and almost nothing you say in that part is even true of the past.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-17-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

  14. #3704
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    9,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I wouldn’t say surely. It’s possible. I think the obvious choice is that it’s House of Magneto. I lean that way only because there’s no evidence otherwise, and some for Magneto.
    I know you say you want me to use emojis to convey wryness, but I don’t quite have the tools on this platform.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

  15. #3705
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Here’s both covers combined....my one issue is that we were robbed of Molina drawing Bishop’s package.

    Oh I like this.
    I wouldn't mind these making a comeback.
    While I love the individuality of their current looks, this just screams team.
    Perhaps these plus a personal touch a la Gambit's trenchcoat will be great.
    Some already have them - Peter, Bobby, Jean, Scott, Hank, Cable...
    Purple sash for Psylocke and Logan with his mask (I mean the color scheme matches).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •