Page 406 of 434 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,090 of 6499
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    What I am, and a lot of other people seem to be, excited about with Hickman's run is not the weird island setting, its the reset. All of the doom and gloom and frankly depressing **** that has been bogging the books down for a long while have been cleverly pushed aside. Is it contrived? Yes. So what? Its well done, and all of the pieces that make up the X-Men (even some really damn obscure ones) have been picked up, put back together and put on the table to be played with. There is also a sense of fun in the stories that I personally haven't seen since before the Schism.
    Great post. If someone is personally not excited that's fine. But it's evident this IS exciting for a lot of hardcore and casual fans. It doesn't make the detractors wrong, but it is evidence that their position is in the vast minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Great post. If someone is personally not excited that's fine. But it's evident this IS exciting for a lot of hardcore and casual fans. It doesn't make the detractors wrong, but it is evidence that their position is in the vast minority.
    Majority of people loved the Transformers movies, loved the Twilight books, and love the 50 Shades of Gray books too.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Majority of people loved the Transformers movies, loved the Twilight books, and love the 50 Shades of Gray books too.
    The Transformers movies weren't that bad dammit.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Please explain why people are wrong in enjoying those things and why you think those people are reading X-men right now.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

I'll respond when you don't frame arguments so disingenuously.
    Maybe just tell us what you think has changed so radically because we are genuinely at a loss to understand why anyone would say this.

Charles didn’t abandon his dream at the drop of a hat. He may still have his doubts. He undertook some pragmatic actions like subverting Cerebro to a new cause but he didn’t act upon this and use it for anything radical until now. Magneto actively abandoned Moira’s cause and did his own thing before coming back to the fold. Sinister is shown as just one aspect of that strange collective, so everything he did remains identical and the part he played in the new status quo is directly from a recent book. So what exactly is so groundbreaking?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

That is a strange definition of majority. I am pretty sure I am not unrepresentative of comic readers of my age and I have never consumed any of those supposed cultural touchstones. Not even a single Tansformers movie new or old. I didn’t realise I was in such a minority.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

You should try to read that again. For someone to whine about disingenuous questions, you've brought a ton of it in pretty much every reply in this thread.

Hickman, Marvel, and all of us enjoying it have nothing to apologize for. You berating people isn't going to change any minds either.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I think both are true. Death became a cheap drama and meaningless

I don't expect this ressurrection go for more than one decade
    One decade??? God no, I was hopping that the resurrection thing will go away after one year or when the genosha event is finished.

After that, the resurrection process should dissappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Please explain why people are wrong in enjoying those things and why you think those people are reading X-men right now.
    It's all subjective. Hickman fans pretending they have moral superiority based on popularity just doesn't jive with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    You should try to read that again. For someone to whine about disingenuous questions, you've brought a ton of it in pretty much every reply in this thread.

Hickman, Marvel, and all of us enjoying it have nothing to apologize for. You berating people isn't going to change any minds either.
    Just because your opinion is popular does not make it correct by default. Especially when it means ignoring glaring problems in the work.

And claiming I'm the one whining when nearly every reply to me has badly misconstrued what I'm saying, going to some hyperbolic extreme, or just plain ignoring what has been written is really rich.
    Last edited by PsychoEFrost; 10-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That is a strange definition of majority. I am pretty sure I am not unrepresentative of comic readers of my age and I have never consumed any of those supposed cultural touchstones. Not even a single Tansformers movie new or old. I didn’t realise I was in such a minority.
    I dislike all three properties (and absolutely revile 50 Shades). But I will admit that between the three of them, they have made more money than X-Men comics ever have. Obviously someone out there likes them if they make that much money.

But that's beside the point. Just because something is popular does not make it correct by default.

I'll respond when you don't frame arguments so disingenuously.
    I assure you I am genuinely asking. I’m not sure what I said in my post that you felt was disingenuous. If it was the bit about the complaints seeming more like folks not understanding all the details of this story, sorry, but that’s how it seems to me.

Yes, there are some changes. But they don’t fundamentally alter the franchise. If you’d like to give examples and discuss, cool. If not, that’s cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I assure you I am genuinely asking. I’m not sure what I said in my post that you felt was disingenuous. If it was the bit about the complaints seeming more like folks not understanding all the details of this story, sorry, but that’s how it seems to me.

Yes, there are some changes. But they don’t fundamentally alter the franchise. If you’d like to give examples and discuss, cool. If not, that’s cool too.
    I'm talking about what you said about retcons. I said twice that the use of retcons should only be used in the absolute worst case. Writers over the years have abused that to the point of meaninglessness, and it created the issue we have now. People just accept grand sweeping changes and retcons, pointless deaths and revivals, and complete and total 180 character shifts because that's how it has been written for years. And while Hickman's run may not be the absolute worst example of this, it is a culmination of issues.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Maybe just tell us what you think has changed so radically because we are genuinely at a loss to understand why anyone would say this.

Charles didn’t abandon his dream at the drop of a hat. He may still have his doubts.
    Namor certainly seemed to think so.

BANNED

Just because your opinion is popular does not make it correct by default. Especially when it means ignoring glaring problems in the work.

And claiming I'm the one whining when nearly every reply to me has badly misconstrued what I'm saying, going to some hyperbolic extreme, or just plain ignoring what has been written is really rich.
    I very explicitly said it didn't. That last sentence is rich in light of that fact though!