Page 243 of 434 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 6499

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCoyote View Post
    If the REAL X-Men aren't being held by Krakoa then I'm thinking all of this story is merely Moria's PREVIOUS lifetime, a lesson learned kind of thing. Everything will fall apart, lives will be lost, horrible revelations, then it ends with her being born into the 616 and deciding to do things differently.
    Only problem with this is that we know the Summers book in the first Wave they are mentioned as "defending Krakoa" or something to that effect. The timeline also specifically calls out House Of X in Life 10. Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, but I believe that this is the last ditch effort of Moira using all the scientific knowledge from all of her previous lives (and from Apocalypse) to build whatever they've done in Krakoa. This being said, I've become more in tune to the idea that all of the Dawn books happen post Life 10, during Life 11.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCoyote View Post
    If the REAL X-Men aren't being held by Krakoa then I'm thinking all of this story is merely Moria's PREVIOUS lifetime, a lesson learned kind of thing. Everything will fall apart, lives will be lost, horrible revelations, then it ends with her being born into the 616 and deciding to do things differently.
    then why does Dawn of X seem to be built on HoX? I cant see the X-line going forward being based on a failed past lifeline

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fridric View Post
    Yes, Hickman explored different assimilations except he replaced the X-men traditional RACIAL issue by hardcore sci-fi concepts of assimilation(machines-alien) which it's not the core of the X-men's stories because assimilation is NOT what X-men are talking about! I read Morrison too and he moved forward their ideology that's true because it can't be the same repetition of the same concept again and again because the world has changed. If we make a parallel with the real world they should be in the "integration phase" which is the true assimilation in the society. Instead of that he(Hicky) regressed them in an hardcore isolationism ideology! ALL WHAT THEY HAVE DONE SO FAR ARE IRRELEVANT!!! In fact, Hickman didn't respect all the characters' development and mutants stories. The retcon of Moira didn't make sense. Prof X and Magneto are aware of the future and they acted like idiots all along??? In this own thread, people talk and re-talk about the decision X or Mags had made during their stories and the only that comes to your mind is IT'S ILLOGICAL! Hickman had just created the BIGGEST MESS EVER FOR THE FRANCHISE! Everyone here are BLIND by the arts and/or by the fact their favorite heroes will show in the event or after!
    1)It's not like the FIRST TIME X and Mags work together as I know!
    2)Merging with Cerebro seems very suspicious and anyone suspect he controls the mutants! So, it's not a good point.
    3)It's not the 1st time they work with humans since the beginning it's the case! This offering seems suspicious too.
    4)Living on Krakoa a good thing? Seriously? The same island who tried to kill them and wanted to use them as food!
    5)The more WTF alliance for me: all the good & bad organization together VS the mutants? All these people can't bear each other and they live a bromance now.
    6)Cypher love merging with creepies if you want my opinion!
    7)This is a possibility.
    8)This future sucks for everyone(human-mutants-aliens and I don't know why he need to incorporate machines in this). We saw further futures than this one and it's not so lifeless.
    9)Amalgation characters are the laziest thing to do! They have no real development and personality so far!
    10)Cyclops with his own vision is the BEST Cyclops so far! People love him like that for so long, so no SUBDOG Cyclops for me, thanks!
    11)I HATE PHALANX! This is one of the WORST creation of the 90's! NO NO NO AND NO!!!
    12)HoX doesn't need PoX to be understood! In fact reading PoX is USELESS! Many readers, here, want to zap PoX and focus on HoX instead of the combo. So, I'm not the only one who find it a waste of time & money! Only the issues of revelation are really relevant(the red ones).
    I would also add to this that Hickman's favorite characters are not at all my favorites. While I don't have to have a book filled with my favorites, I tend to lose interest with books centering around arrogant characters like Magneto, Mystique and Emma Frost. Arrogance does not befit a true hero.

I know this won't be popular, but I agree with most of what you are saying. It's almost like the X-Men are losing their individuality to become a collective like the Borg of Star Trek. Krakoa has taken everything over. There are a lot of X-Men, that if they were in character, would have a big problem with that idea. I feel like I am watching a bunch of pod people from "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

I do reserve the right to change my mind, but so far I'm not all that exited with what's going on. HoX is more interesting to me, but so far it's mostly expletive and not what I like in my comic books. Besides, we don't really know who is under that helmet that is supposedly Xavier. Half of this could be a total fake-out. I find it kind of creepy. We also have no idea what will happen with Moira's next life or where that is leading for certain.

PoX so far is the same old same old machines take over which has been done to death. I'm still reading it but I am not as interested as I had been at the start.

I am not saying that I hate the books, but it would be nice is those of you who are in love with Hickman would stop bullying those of us who are skeptical. I am a well educated woman that is not a newbie to the X-Men. I have the right to my own opinions. That's what forums are for, the civil discussion of a hobby. I may change my mind once these two books are completed, but I'm not that thrilled with the reveal of the books to come so we shall see.

BANNED

We haven't seen enough of anyone in the X-Men lineup to know who's "OOC" or losing their individuality.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    We haven't seen enough of anyone in the X-Men lineup to know who's "OOC" or losing their individuality.
    The X-Men shown planting Krakoa around the planet and the solar system remind me exactly of the film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". If you haven't ever seen either the new or the old version, I suggest you stream it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    I would also add to this that Hickman's favorite characters are not at all my favorites. While I don't have to have a book filled with my favorites, I tend to lose interest with books centering around arrogant characters like Magneto, Mystique and Emma Frost. Arrogance does not befit a true hero.

I know this won't be popular, but I agree with most of what you are saying. It's almost like the X-Men are losing their individuality to become a collective like the Borg of Star Trek. Krakoa has taken everything over. There are a lot of X-Men, that if they were in character, would have a big problem with that idea. I feel like I am watching a bunch of pod people from "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

I do reserve the right to change my mind, but so far I'm not all that exited with what's going on. HoX is more interesting to me, but so far it's mostly expletive and not what I like in my comic books. Besides, we don't really know who is under that helmet that is supposedly Xavier. Half of this could be a total fake-out. I find it kind of creepy. We also have no idea what will happen with Moira's next life or where that is leading for certain.

PoX so far is the same old same old machines take over which has been done to death. I'm still reading it but I am not as interested as I had been at the start.

I am not saying that I hate the books, but it would be nice is those of you who are in love with Hickman would stop bullying those of us who are skeptical. I am a well educated woman that is not a newbie to the X-Men. I have the right to my own opinions. That's what forums are for, the civil discussion of a hobby. I may change my mind once these two books are completed, but I'm not that thrilled with the reveal of the books to come so we shall see.
    Please point out where you were "bullied" for your opinion.

What puzzles me most is that there's more discussion on this forum than in HoX: the X-men don't speak with each other. They seem to follow a plan that we don't know. We are not included. How did it come to this understanding? Mystery. Is there a difference of opinion between them? It doesn't seem so.

So I mostly agree with miss Indigo: what is the interest to have so many characters in a comic if they don't express their individuality? This lack of humanity bothers me.

If it doesn't bother others, it's fine to me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

I think most of us just have the abilty to wait for this mystery to resolve in the story rather than demand we know all the answers less than halfway through.

Spectacular Member

Thank you! I agreed too. I would add this: it seems all the characters who are on the preview are not in the event at all so far like Cable, the broods, baby Alex, etc. They will probably have a minor role in it because it's so much focus on Moira/X/Mags/Apoc(/Sinister?) right now. Maybe Marvel wanted to bait us as usual with the preview. It looks like a crossover-scale but it's not! I will judge all the event after reading it in its whole but I don't feel it's an X-Men story at all. What I think is, indeed Hickman uses X-men, but in a sci-fi story which is not suited for them. I don't recognize them as a team and individually and I have this feeling of emptiness because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What puzzles me most is that there's more discussion on this forum than in HoX: the X-men don't speak with each other. They seem to follow a plan that we don't know. We are not included. How did it come to this understanding? Mystery. Is there a difference of opinion between them? It doesn't seem so.

So I mostly agree with miss Indigo: what is the interest to have so many characters in a comic if they don't express their individuality? This lack of humanity bothers me.

If it doesn't bother others, it's fine to me.
    I think there are some valid criticisms of the story and how it's presented, and in how it uses (or doesn't use) established characters. I do think that we are meant to be unsure of some of these things at this point. As you say, it's a mystery. We're meant to ask some of the questions you asked.

I don't think that anything we've actually seen so far has been out of character. A lot of the interactions are perfectly in character, or else are a bit unclear by design. Cyclops for instance seems pretty much exactly as he should. Magneto seems to be acting exactly as he should given the situation. Cypher and Sage, the Cuckoos, the little we saw of Marvel Girl.....all seemed accurately portrayed.

Xavier's motivations and machinations are less certain, but that's clearly the intention. Same with Moira.

As for how Colossus or Nightcrawler or Magik might feel about all this....we don't know much yet, other than that some of them were onboard with helping spread the Krakoan flowers. Beyond that, we don't know how uniform their opinions are on the matter.

I personally hope that we do see some varying opinions on Krakoa and Xavier's plan, even if everyone is generally behind it. I'd like to see someone like Kitty or Iceman say "um since when do we send Creed out to steal information and kill innocent guards?"

We'll have to wait and see if we get that kind of stuff. I expect so, but I can understand the concern that we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I think there are some valid criticisms of the story and how it's presented, and in how it uses (or doesn't use) established characters. I do think that we are meant to be unsure of some of these things at this point. As you say, it's a mystery. We're meant to ask some of the questions you asked.

I don't think that anything we've actually seen so far has been out of character. A lot of the interactions are perfectly in character, or else are a bit unclear by design. Cyclops for instance seems pretty much exactly as he should. Magneto seems to be acting exactly as he should given the situation. Cypher and Sage, the Cuckoos, the little we saw of Marvel Girl.....all seemed accurately portrayed.

Xavier's motivations and machinations are less certain, but that's clearly the intention. Same with Moira.

As for how Colossus or Nightcrawler or Magik might feel about all this....we don't know much yet, other than that some of them were onboard with helping spread the Krakoan flowers. Beyond that, we don't know how uniform their opinions are on the matter.

I personally hope that we do see some varying opinions on Krakoa and Xavier's plan, even if everyone is generally behind it. I'd like to see someone like Kitty or Iceman say "um since when do we send Creed out to steal information and kill innocent guards?"

We'll have to wait and see if we get that kind of stuff. I expect so, but I can understand the concern that we won't.
    Magneto has always been a passionate man, always wanted to justify his actions. He never had any problems to appear threatening and in HoX, he is… but in a passive way. I don't know… I don't see him following a script… and certainly not someone else's script.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    From Claremont's run, I've only read Dark Phoenix and DOFP, but it's a run that I've always been meaning to read.
    I recall that run. IIRC Nimrod was set up as Rachel’s worse-than-Ahab nemesis from the future. It got weird when Nimrod assumed a human form (“Jesse”?) and the secret identity experience was turning Nimrod into a kinder, gentler big brother while crashing with that construction worker father/son. The plot kind of faded into ??? from there...

Wasn’t that around the time of the Terminator sequels when Schwartzeneger’s Terminator became kid-friendly? I digress...
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-16-2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Homosuperior is human just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    I think most of us just have the abilty to wait for this mystery to resolve in the story rather than demand we know all the answers less than halfway through.
    I love a good mystery too but my pleasure in reading a X-men comic is following their adventures, feel what they feel like I am one of them although I'm not a mutant.
    Here I see them from an outside point of view: they want to be left alone on a island… good, I won't the one who will annoy them…

The X-Men shown planting Krakoa around the planet and the solar system remind me exactly of the film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". If you haven't ever seen either the new or the old version, I suggest you stream it.
    Certainly whiffs of those films. The deliberate panel framing w/lack of faces makes it seem menacing. What I got from those panels — Mutants in universal scale are positioned to drive evolution. So they are planting gateways which allow them to colonize and take root at the edges of space. Makes more sense as Hickman frames out a system of order that includes roles for the Technarchy and Phalanx. Mutants are the bees which pollinate planets. Over time, Worldminds may / may not bloom resulting in the Phalanx arrival and the culture’s ascension or its consumption by the Technarchy. Wait, if Worldminds are flowers maybe it should be Mutants are seeds and Phalanx are the bees?
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 08-16-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: I’m not perfect but I’m perfect for you

I think we can all agree that Hickman is never going to be for everyone. Just remember he isn’t going to write all the X-books. He will know as well as anyone that other writers have different strengths.

I would also say that not all of us think that assimilation is going to be a major theme from now on. It is clearly a theme of the book, but I am not sure I would phrase it that way, and I don’t think Hickman is saying all of the mutants have to be on the same side, just that they mostly are at the moment.

This was one of the first things I thought and posted about. I think it is supposed to make us feel wary of whatever Xavier is up to in his weird birthing chamber. I don’t believe he was just resurrecting mutants that recently died.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Is it really displaying lack of individuality. They all seem distinct to me. It could just be that Hickman isn’t Bendis. He doesn’t spend five pages exploring characters. And I say that as a Bendis fan. Different writers have different approaches and different strengths.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-16-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.