Page 26 of 434 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Oh wow I just realized something, this would be the perfect setup for the MCU. Mutants were on Earth at one point but so badly persecuted that Professor X and the rest of the telepaths wiped human memory entirely of the existence of mutants and they left the planet. Someone discovers there is a colony on Mars that people keep forgetting exists and they go to investigate and discover the mutants.
    but what about the new baby mutants being born on earth?
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    but what about the new baby mutants being born on earth?
    humans released a "cure" into the atmosphere that crippled their own evolution to prevent more mutants from being born. This could lead into a crisis where the "cure" is having horrible side effects on humanity.

humans released a "cure" into the atmosphere that crippled their own evolution to prevent more mutants from being born. This could lead into a crisis where the "cure" is having horrible side effects on humanity.
    oooh yhea, I love that, I also dig the suggestion of emma & raven messing with it in order to punish anti mutant bigots but maybe it would be a bit too much considering the vaccine may be forced on infants.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Because said teenager's life is in danger. This is exactly what makes for good storytelling. It's a valid concern you mention, leaving family and friends behind. How does that work? So. much. potential. Do you stay in a dangerous home that you were raised in for comfort's sake or move to a new land where you can be free? And hey, who said humans can't come along, those that are friendly and accepting of mutants?

The X-Men spend most of their time protecting mutants from humans and evil mutants. Scott moved the Morlocks to a foreign nation that is sympathetic to mutants. They can't even stay in the sewers anymore, or even their home country. What if the X-Men didn't have to worry about protecting mutants anymore? What if they could spend their time using their powers (as someone said earlier) on creating new things, doing new things, evolving? Endless. Possibilities. What if trying to please the humans has been holding back their potential?

I can't help but cackle when people are resistant to change. It's what we do, we evolve. There's no way around it. Mutants are the next evolutionary step from humans, right? It's not supposed to just stop there.
    When will they win rights for mutants?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    For some people seeing the X-Men and rest of mutantkind pick up and leave would be a disappointing pessimistic life choice. As stand in for many of real life's mistreated, disenfranchised, weirdo's what kinda teachable lesson/ hero's would the X-Men be if they just left?
    It depends on what situation you're talking about. As a gay Puerto Rican man, I left home at 18 because I couldn't deal with that house at the time. I did it for my survival. Fast forward to 5 years ago and my mother was dancing at my wedding with my husband. Not sure that would have happened if I didn't leave and have my time, and gave her the time she needed. It takes strength to make such moves and I'll be damned if I give any credit to anyone that supposedly "oppressed" me, positive or negative. My failures are mine, I own them - and my successes are mine, I own them. And my very best friend, an openly gay Black man, married with two children and the owner of a massively thriving business feels the same way. He became his own hero by leaving home young and finding his way with or without support. Now his family are the first ones to come when he needs anything.

Nothing is permanent. It's not always easy but that's what people do, they move to someplace where they feel safe and accepted and either stay forever or wait for things to hopefully change back home. This is why I keep saying there's so much potential here. The angst many mutants would feel leaving Earth, their home. The humans who would lose their friends and family. This could lead to the realization of Xavier's dream, via a much longer, and hopefully exciting, route.

It depends on what situation you're talking about. As a gay Puerto Rican man, I left home at 18 because I couldn't deal with that house at the time. I did it for my survival. Fast forward to 5 years ago and my mother was dancing at my wedding with my husband. Not sure that would have happened if I didn't leave and have my time, and gave her the time she needed. It takes strength to make such moves and I'll be damned if I give any credit to anyone that supposedly "oppressed" me, positive or negative. My failures are mine, I own them - and my successes are mine, I own them. And my very best friend, an openly gay Black man, married with two children and the owner of a massively thriving business feels the same way. He became his own hero by leaving home young and finding his way with or without support. Now his family are the first ones to come when he needs anything.

Nothing is permanent. It's not always easy but that's what people do, they move to someplace where they feel safe and accepted and either stay forever or wait for things to hopefully change back home. This is why I keep saying there's so much potential here. The angst many mutants would feel leaving Earth, their home. The humans who would lose their friends and family. This could lead to the realization of Xavier's dream, via a much longer, and hopefully exciting, route.
    I agree, I am tired of the escalating oppression of mutants that just seems to get worse and worse. As it is the Marvel 616 feels like it is on the cusp of becoming exactly like Rachel's 811 Earth. It feels like we are almost to the point where the world governments pass a law making it legal to "purge" mutants and unleash the sentinels and hounds on the world. When your race is on the verge of complete genocide there isn't really many options left, an "Exodus" to a new homeland seems like the only recourse the might even succeed at this point.

The writers either rehash the persecution of mutant kind in an ever escalating circle of prejudice and oppression, or the mutants choose to walk away of their own free will before they are exterminated.

This also leaves a second story to tell, what happens to the Earth when there truly are "No More Mutants". Is it better, or does it get worse? It might be interesting to have the Avengers and Fantastic Four going up against Mr Sinister, Cassandra Nova, Selene, Madelyne Pryor, and Apocalypse. Maybe with the X-Men gone this leads to the rise of Apocalypse on the Earth. Perhaps with the X-Men gone, Madelyne and Selene are emboldened to bring about the 2nd Inferno and unleashes it on the Avengers and Fantastic Four.

The writers either rehash the persecution of mutant kind in an ever escalating circle of prejudice and oppression, or the mutants choose to walk away of their own free will before they are exterminated.

This also leaves a second story to tell, what happens to the Earth when there truly are "No More Mutants". Is it better, or does it get worse? It might be interesting to have the Avengers and Fantastic Four going up against Mr Sinister, Cassandra Nova, Selene, Madelyne Pryor, and Apocalypse. Maybe with the X-Men gone this leads to the rise of Apocalypse on the Earth. Perhaps with the X-Men gone, Madelyne and Selene are emboldened to bring about the 2nd Inferno and unleashes it on the Avengers and Fantastic Four.
    Right on. It's time for a new story. The mutants belong high above with the stars, not constantly defending the very people who will murder them with bats. This story cannot be re-hashed again. Blindfold committed suicide because she saw no good alternative. Are we supposed to read that the X-Men come back and humanity simmers down, rejoicing their return? And then what? A new politically powerful human comes along and starts it up again? No thanks. In my opinion, it's been a disservice keeping the mutants oppressed for so long. I want to see their potential for so much more. Let Rogue, Sam, and 'Berto be examples of what's possible for these characters that we love.

And yes! So many great stories can come from this. The rise of Apocalypse without the X-Men would be epic. Nice idea. Like Thanos coming to Earth when the Avengers were gone. So. Many. Stories.

Nice to see that a lot of us are on the same page when it comes to no longer wanting Mutants in the shadow of earth humans having to defend the right to be what they are while at the same time being killed for it and stopping the ones killing them from being killed all togther.

Mutants deserve more.

Right on. It's time for a new story. The mutants belong high above with the stars, not constantly defending the very people who will murder them with bats. This story cannot be re-hashed again. Blindfold committed suicide because she saw no good alternative. Are we supposed to read that the X-Men come back and humanity simmers down, rejoicing their return? And then what? A new politically powerful human comes along and starts it up again? No thanks. In my opinion, it's been a disservice keeping the mutants oppressed for so long. I want to see their potential for so much more. Let Rogue, Sam, and 'Berto be examples of what's possible for these characters that we love.

And yes! So many great stories can come from this. The rise of Apocalypse without the X-Men would be epic. Nice idea. Like Thanos coming to Earth when the Avengers were gone. So. Many. Stories.
    Could you imagine if he turns some of the Avengers and Fantastic Four into his four horseman. That would be a gut wrenching storyline to see a roster of horseman picked from the best and brightest of the Avengers and FF.

Astonishing Member

If all the mutants go to mars, poccy, sinny and Cassie are following them there. They’re not very interested in normal humans, lol. How can Cassie work on her insane grudge against her not-brother and all his favorite students when they ‘re all on another planet, lol?

Kicking this around while I was doing the dishes the other night, I did have a thought about the whole thing.

For quite a while Hickman penning a Legion Of Super-Heroes over at DC.

Thinking about some of the loose ends in that initial image, it occurred to me that one-half of this could wind up being an "X" IP version of Legion Of Super-Heroes.

not the first time a future for the mutants has been hypothesized among the stars

stars01.jpg stars02.jpg stars03.jpg

...... but one of the earliest examples I seem to remember was in the old Guardians of the Galaxy 90's comic book

star04.jpg stars05.jpg

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Default Me Reading This Thread:

I'd like to propose an idea.
    One that would make the X-franchise more in-tune with modern society and isn't completely antithetical to what the X-men are and stand for (such as packing up and leaving).

How about Marvel lets the X-men, and mutants in general, win.
    And by win, I mean guaranteed equality under the law.
    No sentinels, no cures, no extinctions - just mutant freedom circa post-American Civil War.

I would like to see the franchise shift from fighting for survival to fighting for equality and acceptance.
    Just because the government(s) aren't openly seeking your demise with giant murder bots doesn't mean everything has worked out.
    The X-men would be dealing with prejudice, racial violence, segregation, Mutant versions of Jim Crow, racist institutions, etc - ala the modern world outside your window.

Let's explore actual integration and all the wonderful problems that come along with it.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 04-28-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Mutants can still live in their own part of Earth if needed, but the integration delusion could be left alone for a while. Let them try to do different stuff. Try to find out how your powers can bring new understanding about scientific concepts, old theories. Are there mutants capable of helping produce more clean energy, maybe helping to produce stuff at minor costs? Is it plausible that a person's mutant power helps them craft some new level of art or music or whatever the hell comes to mind? Just embrace the whimsical, mix it correctly with the superhero part and go wild.