Page 28 of 434 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    That’s also not what entirely what happened. People can’t honestly be so naive as to think that the Union won the war and everything immediately improved for black people across America. Former slaves got screwed hard in post-Civil War America. The laws say one thing, people will do another. This has happened time and time again, the fight for equality doesn’t end just because someone signed a paper.
    "People"...were not being naive.
    "People"...were fully aware of the historical implications of their suggestion and "People" were counting on said implications for dramatic story-telling purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by PEOPLE
    I'd like to propose an idea.
    One that would make the X-franchise more in-tune with modern society and isn't completely antithetical to what the X-men are and stand for (such as packing up and leaving).

How about Marvel lets the X-men, and mutants in general, win.
    And by win, I mean guaranteed equality under the law.
    No sentinels, no cures, no extinctions - just mutant freedom circa post-American Civil War.

I would like to see the franchise shift from fighting for survival to fighting for equality and acceptance.
    Just because the government(s) aren't openly seeking your demise with giant murder bots doesn't mean everything has worked out.
    The X-men would be dealing with prejudice, racial violence, segregation, Mutant versions of Jim Crow, racist institutions, etc - ala the modern world outside your window.

Let's explore actual integration and all the wonderful problems that come along with it.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    That would be nice and all but that's not where things currently are. It would take a giant leap to get there from here.
    Not that far to get there from here, not for my purposes.

Just have mutants openly save humanity in one of those planet-wide events that Marvel loves to peddle so much.
    Then have some grateful governments draft some pro-mutant equality legislation.
    Done.

Then the real fun begins.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    yhea but what about keeping the whole thing relatable? it's not a personal pet peeve of mine because I can relate to pretty much anything weird but other posters are always preaching about the fact that you have to keep things relatable and down to earth, so I ask: what about it?
    Personally, I don't place the same importance of relatability in my fiction as others do so...it's an absolute non-issue for me.
    That said, "relatable and down to earth" doesn't have to be so abjectly literal.
    And...
    If we're using Space/Cosmic stories as a reference topic...then Star Wars and Star Trek (film and TV and comics) shouldn't be "relatable" yet, going by the cosmically ginormous fan-base of those franchises, they obviously are, on many different levels, for many different reasons, to many different people.
    A good writer can make any scenario where-ever it's occurring...under water, on land, in another galaxy... "relatable".
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-29-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post

Just have mutants openly save humanity in one of those planet-wide events that Marvel loves to peddle so much.
    Done.

Hmm, not sure the X-Men are going to ignore the fact that their fellow mutants are currently being hunted, jailed, and killed - and the vaccine is in heavy circulation. Too far of a leap.

Hmm, not sure the X-Men are going to ignore the fact that their fellow mutants are currently being hunted, jailed, and killed - and the vaccine is in heavy circulation. Too far of a leap.
    They got over Bishop and got over the M-Pox.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

You're on to something. What if mutant's powers were meant to be used to continue the evolution in such fields as you mention? Humanity is in need of more clean energy - perhaps it is found in the mutants. Evolving species adapting, it's a perfect example.
    I'm really obsessed with the idea of mutants actually being responsible for bringing evolution to many aspects of humankind's life. Think of the Phoenix 5, but better done and in a more slow-burn way. I honestly love that their first thought was "let's drag freaking Heaven to Earth and the Avengers be damned" and I really wish we had X-Men actually trying to do that again in their own ways, instead of chastising Cyclops for being against police brutality.

But what do I know, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I'm really obsessed with the idea of mutants actually being responsible for bringing evolution to many aspects of humankind's life. Think of the Phoenix 5, but better done and in a more slow-burn way. I honestly love that their first thought was "let's drag freaking Heaven to Earth and the Avengers be damned" and I really wish we had X-Men actually trying to do that again in their own ways, instead of chastising Cyclops for being against police brutality.

Sounds brilliant to me.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post

Well, you do know who wrote that AvX issue, right?

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

I'd like to propose an idea.
    One that would make the X-franchise more in-tune with modern society and isn't completely antithetical to what the X-men are and stand for (such as packing up and leaving).

How about Marvel lets the X-men, and mutants in general, win.
    And by win, I mean guaranteed equality under the law.
    No sentinels, no cures, no extinctions - just mutant freedom circa post-American Civil War.

I would like to see the franchise shift from fighting for survival to fighting for equality and acceptance.
    Just because the government(s) aren't openly seeking your demise with giant murder bots doesn't mean everything has worked out.
    The X-men would be dealing with prejudice, racial violence, segregation, Mutant versions of Jim Crow, racist institutions, etc - ala the modern world outside your window.

Let's explore actual integration and all the wonderful problems that come along with it.

Just a thought.
    ..."People" were counting on said implications for dramatic story-telling purposes.

Done.

I mean, am I just not explaining myself correctly?

Once more, for those in the back.

Premise: To make the X-men franchise more relevant to the real-world by more closely aligning the mutant plight to other struggles for equality (race, gender, sexuality, etc.).

Pitch: Have select governments across the world, including the US, draft basic pro-mutant equality legislation and explore the sociopolitical struggles therein in ways that more closely mirror those of modern underprivileged groups. This means no more governmentally sanctioned extinction or genocide events. Everything else, i.e. prejudice, racial violence, racist institutions, the cure, etc. is still fair game. The only thing that's changed is that mutants and humans are a little bit more integrated in the day-to-day.
    It's a baby step and totally not too far of a leap.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

I mean, am I just not explaining myself correctly?

Once more, for those in the back.

Premise: To make the X-men franchise more relevant to the real-world by more closely aligning the mutant plight to other struggles for equality (race, gender, sexuality, etc.).

Pitch: Have select governments across the world, including the US, draft basic pro-mutant equality legislation and explore the sociopolitical struggles therein in ways that more closely mirror those of modern underprivileged groups. This means no more governmentally sanctioned extinction or genocide events. Everything else, i.e. prejudice, racial violence, racist institutions, the cure, etc. is still fair game. The only thing that's changed is that mutants and humans are a little bit more integrated in the day-to-day.
    It's a baby step and totally not too far of a leap.
    The real world especially the US has those laws already it .It is why reading the X-men the current run in Uncanny is frustrating as hell.If it was another country you could turn a blind eye but mutants are being hunted down and killed in America with Superhero groups and police and it feels kinda stupid. And it made more stupid with understanding X-men have save the world with other heroes so they should be a lot people who love the X-men. Also they should be a understanding mutants are next stage in evolution which makes the next point more valid. They are also trying to sell us that humans are going to looking down the possibility of getting powers which is mind blowing ridiculous. I agree with you point hate should be more subtle. X-men is stuck in Slavery/Jim Crow level hate when the hate should be more subtle or political than that

I can understand short term extreme hate but X-men comics have it wrong and not covering other aspects has made X-men a little stale,They are other angles to approach so I guess this is my pitch

Pitch: Mutants can be loved as well,which could lead to different stories

Premise: Public group of mutants who mission is to show that mutants being around is a positive--Might have at some point distance themselves from other group of X-men mutants with a different mission statement.

-How are the X-men suppose complete the dream of living peaceful and harmony with humans if they are isolationist group that is sometimes seen as terrorists? One of the mission of X-men should be always good PR for mutants. So they should be a X-men team who is always publicly saving people ,making public appearances, creating invention that is helpful everyone, Speaking on behalf for mutants against laws and policy that hurts mutants and doing diplomatic mission etc. A group of X-men mission is to win heart and minds. X-men have more reason than FF and Avengers to be public superheroes.

- Mutants would be loved as well becoming as big as actor,musicians and athletes.

-X-men as group would be treated differently than regular mutants so they won't see the same hate as other mutants, So X-men would be hated by other mutants because they don't get treated the same

- Mutants wouldn't be treated the same everywhere,In the US would be more fair than other countries with subtle hate, In China they might be seen as asset to government as weapons, In Genosha mutants are the upper class and humans aren't treated as well. In a less developed country mutants are seen abomination and are killed,etc . X-men should be more international thing with varying settings you want to tell a story with extreme hate you can use another country.

- Certain industries would embrace mutants being around, Telepaths would be commodity because you wouldn't want secrets to get out. Militaries around the would embrace mutants and start of arms race with mutants.Young Justice covers this some.

- They would be people desperately wanting to be mutants, Because it would mean a better a life. And the reverse would be true a mutant born with a useful gift would increase a family standing and normal human child would be look down on some. And that is interesting recipe for hate Mutants would be a rare exclusive group that some people would want to be part of especially if some mutants set up a place away from normal humans where mutants are living comfortable.

-Not every mutant would be treated equally the mutants who look like normal humans would be liked better, The mutants who have more freaky elements would be discriminated against.

-They would be trafficking of mutants and people seeing mutants as just tools

They are plenty of angles where mutants aren't just hated. The X-men works just as well as Super hero concept imo
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-30-2019 at 02:08 AM.

I liked the mutants-as-celebrities theme of XStatix, but that’s only part of the picture.

I think Celebrities Superhero /Activists is best description of what I would want to see for at least one team basically X-men Red with more focus on general super heroics and less real world political more in world politics.

how about
    we relaunch with

x-men gold
    where
    the mutants are drenched in honey
    and dropped in the forest
    where they fight bears for two years

and

x-men blue
    where
    the mutants are drenched in fish guts
    and dropped out to sea
    where they fight sharks for two years
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    how about
    we relaunch with

x-men gold
    where
    the mutants are drenched in honey
    and dropped in the forest
    where they fight bears for two years

and

x-men blue
    where
    the mutants are drenched in fish guts
    and dropped out to sea
    where they fight sharks for two years
    Just sharks or sharks led by shark-girl?

shark girl can become the shark god

yes
    yes
    yes

the creative juices are flowing
    zoo wee mama i've got a pitch
    hickman better watch the HECK out
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

The more I think about this, the more I’m expecting hoxpox to send the mutants of planet. Now that marvel completely owns the movie rights, I think marvel comics division finally sat down and decided to do something new with the x-men but since Kevin Feige said that there won’t be anything x-related coming on the movie screen for at least 5 years, marvel comics is going to”sideline” the x-comics for those years and slowly change them to something new and reintroduce them back on earth, when an actual -men movie comes out 5/6 years down the road from now. I am expecting big cosmic stuff with the x-men that ends with the mutNt population being “reborn” in 5 years from now , with a new first generation of X-men just in time for a Disney x-men movie