Through the devices of the brilliant John Cimino, I was able to ask the legendary Roy Thomas about his ultimate plans for All-Star Squadron. This was Roy's reply:

"I never really thought ahead to war's end in ALL-STAR SQUADRON, but I did envision the group ending with the war, though of course the much smaller JSA would've gone on. Considering that even counting YOUNG ALL-STARS (whose continuity picked up where ALL-STAR SQUADRON left off), and something like 100 issues of the two series, we just got from December 6, 1941, through the middle of 1942, we'd have had to go several hundred issues to get through the war! Wish it had happened that way! Could've gone on for decades with THE INVADERS, too, which starts later in December 1941.
Best wishes,
Roy"

Since Mr. Thomas has repeatedly stated how much he would love another crack at writing the All-Star Squadron, why doesn't DC extend the olive branch to him and one of his chief collaborators, Jerry Ordway, to write the team that he created? Without a doubt, Roy is one of only a few writers that seems to have a handle on these Golden Age characters.