Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What I noticed about the article is the guy who said that, realistically, after Endgame, the MCU will probably undergo a relative slump which is almost inevitable after the big event that they've been leading up to since the beginning. Mind you, relative slump meaning still making buckets of money but not quite as much. He may be wrong, of course. But if it does happen, we'll be right back to people insisting the genre won't last.

Also, they are very limited in what they can set in the past. Anything in the past would have to be secret heroes that the general public never knew existed as anything else would contradict established MCU history. They could reset history with Endgame but I don't think that's a good idea. This isn't a comic book. It's movies for general audiences. "This movie that you saw and have the DVD of now never happened or happened differently than what is on your DVD" is not going to go over well.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

LOST once did an episode when they concentrated on a bunch of "side" characters and then showed what they were doing through all of these major events on the show.

You can do *so many* stories about this time period now. (Well, until everything is rebooted) It's not realistic that the Avengers are the only ones working on this Thanos problem.

In some corner of the planet, Reed Richard is probably trying to come up with a plan, as is Professor X, etc. You could set something in the past, and then have a bunch of "what were they doing?" during major events...

I'd rather not overreact. Select movies may take place "in the past" but people are prone to go overboard in assuming this means a whole bunch of period films and it may not be that at all.

The MCU timeline may end up more fluid after Endgame, so that at least is the "excuse" when it comes to any "continuity issues". Which I suppose is neither here nor there with most non-comics viewers, by the way.

Marvel should open themselves up to smaller budgeted films with carefully chosen writers, directors and budget appropriate actors.

I'd like to see a Western film featuring a couple of the Western heroes from Marvel.

It means that the rot is setting in. Once a franchise starts going the prequel route it means it's on its way to being soulless. It's still going to make money but the spark is gone. It's on it's way to being a hollow shell. Just look at what happened to Star Trek and (Enterprise, Abrams Lens Flare Trek, Discovery) Star Wars (Prequels and now jumping into the Knights Of The Old Republic Era after Rian poisoned the well) once it got obsessed with its past.

Or....it doesn't mean anything
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest