BANNED

Default Help with Crime Syndicate Superwoman?

I'm having trouble connecting the dots with Lois Lane/Superwoman from Forever Evil. The TPs are very sketchy. Anybody know where I can find some proper TP origins and history for her, and what is she up to now?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm having trouble connecting the dots with Lois Lane/Superwoman from Forever Evil. The TPs are very sketchy. Anybody know where I can find some proper TP origins and history for her, and what is she up to now?
    Earth3’s history is constantly shifting because it’s always a dark mirror world to Earth-3. As a result, what was true in one story might not necessarily be true in the next because the continuity shifted due to time shenanigans.

For instance, Volthoom’s Power Ring was initially Harold Jordan, but when Hal Jordan was possessed by Parallax and Kyle Rainer became the only GL, Volthoom possessed a new host that was Kyle’s Earth-3 doppelgänger. When John Stewart became the primary GL, Power Ring morphed into an evil doppelgänger of him. Kurt Busiek explained that history was constantly changing like this all the time on Earth-3

Boisterously Confused

When the Crime Syndicate first appeared, they had no back story to speak of. They were there to slap the JL and JSA around before getting stomped in the end, and on to the next story.

The first that I recall them getting any depth of backstory was Morrison's JLA Earth 2 series. That was the first time that I recall Superwoman being framed as her world's Lois Lane, and running a triangle between Ultraman and Owlman. (nice touch of irony that, as Lois was characterized as being in a triangle between Clark and Superman for so many years).

As a "Super" fan of Superwoman, I will chime in as well, addiing to the good info given by both Bored and DrNew.

When Superwoman first appeared and for a long time after, all we knew is that she was a renegade Amazon. Later on, one could see one gray strand in Superwoman's hair, mirroring E-2's Wonder Woman who was shown with graying hair due to both relinquishing immortality by leaving their respective home islands.

Decades later, the island she left was named Damnation Island (an inverse of Paradise Island). Now Post Crisis, no gray hair. And we find out that Superwoman (who we don't know true name) killed all of her sister Amazons! Was she the Queen? The Princess? How did she get her Magic Lasso? These and more I have pondered during my decades-long fascination of Superwoman!

While Superwoman usually does not wear bracelets like WW, a few years ago, Superwoman did wear silver bracelets and could presumably block bullets and lasers just like WW.

Today, Superwoman's lasso is called the Lasso of Submission, and besides forcing one to tell the truth, it also releases inhibitions. The first version could turn into a giant flying reptile. The latest version looked like barbed wire!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 04-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.

BANNED

Can you refer me to some good TP's where I can get her whole story together? She intrigues me the most out of the Crime Syndicate members.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Can you refer me to some good TP's where I can get her whole story together? She intrigues me the most out of the Crime Syndicate members.
    JLA Earth 2 is the starting point if you're wanting to read her as more than an anti-Wonder Woman cypher. The Forever Evil event is probably where she gets the most attention.

Retired

I don't know a lot about recent incarnations of the Crime Syndicate. I do know, in their first appearance, that Superwoman resembled Wonder Woman--in fact, she looks a lot like how Mike Sekowsky would draw mod Diana Prince when he took over WONDER WOMAN in 1968. But I recall that in the JLA EARTH 2 one-shot, Morrison and Quitely established that Superwoman was the double of Lois Lane. Of course, technically these are different Earths (one is in a matter universe and the other is in an antimatter universe).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know a lot about recent incarnations of the Crime Syndicate. I do know, in their first appearance, that Superwoman resembled Wonder Woman--in fact, she looks a lot like how Mike Sekowsky would draw mod Diana Prince when he took over WONDER WOMAN in 1968. But I recall that in the JLA EARTH 2 one-shot, Morrison and Quitely established that Superwoman was the double of Lois Lane. Of course, technically these are different Earths (one is in a matter universe and the other is in an antimatter universe).
    Superwoman is the evil version of Wonder Woman.

She is not the double if Lois Lane, she just took her name when she came to Patriarch's world. Evidently, she not only met Lois Lane, but Jimmy Olson. Jimmy was described as a sexual pervert and like Superwoman's under garments and watching her change into her costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    JLA Earth 2 is the starting point if you're wanting to read her as more than an anti-Wonder Woman cypher. The Forever Evil event is probably where she gets the most attention.
    THanks for the starting point--just added it to my Amazon pull list. They have a great-looking Superwoman action figure, too--I was thinking of buying two of them, then sculpting a lot more hair and repainting the second one to make a custom Medusa (Inhumans); I haven't really been satisfied with what Hasbro's done.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Superwoman has slowly been morphed from a Wonder Woman analog to a Super duplicate. I would love to see a story detailing her history and would like to see her become more of a WW Villain instead of a Superman one.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Superwoman has slowly been morphed from a Wonder Woman analog to a Super duplicate. I would love to see a story detailing her history and would like to see her become more of a WW Villain instead of a Superman one.
    I do consider Superwoman a WW foe. But I also like her going up against Superman too.

Originally, without her "Bracelets of Submission", Superwoman always seemed to be in a frenzy and would have been at least his equal in strength. Superwoman even one-shotted Superman. Ultraman was supposed to be even stronger, and even more above Superman in strength.

Regarding the n52 version of Superwoman, that appeared in Forever Evil, and Darkseid War, she is E3 version of Lois Lane
    As for her backstory, it hasnt been revealed as of yet (and maybe it will never be)
    From what we know, he had a romantic affair with Ultraman, then hooked up with Owlman (which indirectly resulted in Talon's death), and then she got pregnant with Mazahs' child
    In one issue, Grid was looking through the Crime Symdicate members past archive, and when she reached Superwoman's, her archives got deleted
    It was clearly intentional, but there was no follow up, so her history remains a mystery

Get this - in the "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" animated movie, Superwoman is portrayed as an evil version of Mary Marvel! To the point of having underlings named Captain Super, Uncle Super, and Captain Super Jr! But obviously I've read stories where she's more like an evil Wonder Woman, and also multiple stories where she's an evil Lois Lane!

Basically, if you're looking for consistency, you're not going to find it on DC's Earth 3 unless they really decide to shape it up.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Get this - in the "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" animated movie, Superwoman is portrayed as an evil version of Mary Marvel! To the point of having underlings named Captain Super, Uncle Super, and Captain Super Jr! But obviously I've read stories where she's more like an evil Wonder Woman, and also multiple stories where she's an evil Lois Lane!

Basically, if you're looking for consistency, you're not going to find it on DC's Earth 3 unless they really decide to shape it up.
    Yeah, I left this out because I don't agree with changing her to a Mary Marvel analog.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yeah, I left this out because I don't agree with changing her to a Mary Marvel analog.
    Ditto. I do have to say it was a compelling depiction (if only for having Gina Torres voice it), but Phoenixx9 is right. Abandoning the idea of Superwoman as the anti-Wonder Woman just doesn't fit.