Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hope and the 5 Lights Appreciation

generation-hope-5.jpg

Hope and the 5 Lights Appreciation
    Members: Hope Summers, Oya, Zero, Velocidad, Transonic and Primal

Hope Summers came to the X-verse as the Mutant Messiah.

After grow-up and raised by Cable she became leader of the 5 lights and they even had an ongoing series, called Generation Hope.

This thread is to honer Hope and her 5 lights.

Zero/Kenji
    became a trator and has pased a way.

Velocidad was forgotten for a few years. But recently we saw him in Uncanny where he has been on the run for mutant hunters so much, that he became what he was afraid of: Old very soon and close to death within a very short time.

Hope Summers
    is now leading the MLF and became quite the little terrorist.

Oya did get quite some attention over the years, teaming up the the O5.

Transonic was a bit forgotten over the years, but has appeared again in the Disassembled final battle and was shown in GenNext recently as one of the secret rebellion, along with Match and Maggot.

Primal is probably the least interesting one of the squad. Barely got development in the Generation Hope series or afterwards. He did show up in the final disassembled battle as well. Is he the next red shirt?

I wonder what the future has in store for these young heroes. But I do love them.
    Last edited by Jesse-James; 04-09-2019 at 02:18 AM.

I always thought that the Transonic design was inspired by the Mystique of the movies. Her transformation when she was at high speed was super cool.

In order of preference to me;

Transonic - Great visual to her flight mode, would love her to be able to be a cosmic reaching character, possibly branching out to Alpha Flight Space station or joining a space fairing team of x-characters or even the Shi'ar Imperial Guard.

Hope - I wasn't impressed when her powers were finally revealed but the Cable dynamic was cute and well written for the most part

Zero - Very anime inspired visual and a creepy character that made him unique

Oya and Primal - had interesting concepts to them in the beginning, Oya being god fearing and so a bit of a loose canon and Primal being theorized as having 'dumbed' himself down or figured that his way of being 'primal' was the most efficient way of being

Velocidad - His mutation hamstringed right from the beginning, his story was always an inevitable end

I wasn't massively keen on them when they were first announced, but they grew on me, they do feel kinda incomplete somehow, but I'd support Transonic in further adventures.

Oya made it into Heroclix

as has Hope

Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 04-09-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Oh and,

I link them with the Avengers Academy teens that I also grew to like, and so If a future Marvel writer would like to form a team by blending the two teams I'd be interested.

Should be a All New All Different Mutant Force.

They are some cool kids who deserve some appreciation.

Zero actually turned up alive in Storm’s previous solo and after being the villain of that arc for having been left for dead, he’s mellowed out.

Primal got swept up into Age of X-Man, where he’s in the Civil Engineering Division with Pixie, Armor, and the Maxime/Manon twins.

Mighty Member

This group had so much potential. I hate how the majority of young x characters I like are introduced by creators and then when they writers leave, they characters vanish. This cast has potential and was pretty diverse considering how the xmen are currently. I would have loved for a few additional lights to appear.

I hope that Oya and Transonic get pushed in the future along with Marisol, Decay ( Georgia Dakei), Gold Balls, Triage, and Benjamin Deeds. I am tired of good characters getting hidden while creatures focus on eye boy and herman glob.

^ I had high hopes for Hope. Maybe she will become more important in the X-Men but I'm not a fan of how her story has played out. My favorite of the lights are Primal and transonic. Primal should be used as a glorified background character while maybe Transonic should be given more debt and her powers explored.

So Velocidad and Zero are out of the picture I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    ^ I had high hopes for Hope. Maybe she will become more important in the X-Men but I'm not a fan of how her story has played out. My favorite of the lights are Primal and transonic. Primal should be used as a glorified background character while maybe Transonic should be given more debt and her powers explored.

So Velocidad and Zero are out of the picture I assume?
    Velocidad is an old man and Zero died again in the Storm series. The problem with Velocidad is that sooner or later he was condemned to end up like this. The best he could have received is a more dignified ending but without drastically changing his powers it was inevitable.

As some of you know, I've been re-reading the entire X-Run from start this past year and I'm actually right smack in the middle of Generation Hope. I have to say that I found the concept brilliant but found the actual characters a bit lack luster. I found it a little frustrating that established "X-Kids" were relegated to staying in school or hiding on Utopia while Hope was allowed to gallivant around with this very green recruits. We never feel the sense of danger that is needed in this situation. Heck, even New Mutants and Gen X had moments of "we're in over our heads here." The best part was Oya's complex moral struggles, which are basically thrown to the side once Wolverine takes her off to the campus. Suddenly she's comic relief and a love interest for Broo. That's a weird shift.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I miss when Hope was more relevant. I love her and it's sad to see so little of her.
    Thankfully her family connections keep her alive

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    As some of you know, I've been re-reading the entire X-Run from start this past year and I'm actually right smack in the middle of Generation Hope. I have to say that I found the concept brilliant but found the actual characters a bit lack luster. I found it a little frustrating that established "X-Kids" were relegated to staying in school or hiding on Utopia while Hope was allowed to gallivant around with this very green recruits. We never feel the sense of danger that is needed in this situation. Heck, even New Mutants and Gen X had moments of "we're in over our heads here." The best part was Oya's complex moral struggles, which are basically thrown to the side once Wolverine takes her off to the campus. Suddenly she's comic relief and a love interest for Broo. That's a weird shift.
    The worst is not that, the worst is when Aaron had her dressed in HFC's Black Queen.

She is 14 years old, he was creepy as ****. And I do not know how old Quent Quire is but when they started dating they also had to have an important age difference.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed what we read of them, they didn't really stick around long enough to make too much of an impression. Aside from Oya anyway, and as others have stated I didn't really care for the direction she went in. If the book had come out in another period it might have been given a longer chance to shine.

Also, someone should really form a band called Hope & the Five Lights. I'd give them a try on spotify if nothing else.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.