Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post

    Too many villains developed during the series, decades before a mature Batman would operate. It's so stupid. So in the future we will get a 30 years old Batman fighting super-old supervillains. Not good, not cool.
    Like this:



    But anyways, I couldn't get into Gotham. I got to about the halfway point of season 2 before I dropped it. I didn't find Jim Gordon to be a compelling lead character, I found him boring.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 04-09-2019 at 07:00 PM.

  2. #17
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,992

    Default

    I haven't liked it; it feels boring to me, but that may just be a limited attention span.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    As you say Ed Nygma doesn't just snap one day. Even before he becomes the Riddler you can guess he's gonna be the Riddler.
    And In real life that's how crazy people act. One day they "snap" as you say. If you look at their past you can then see that their were lots of little things that showed they were not normal people.
    That's exactly what they did for Nigma. And they did pretty well.
    The "crazy people" in se series acted all overly zany, and not really like in real life.

    The show wasn't bad, the acting was good, and it looked pretty great, imo much better than the CW shows.

    But they made some wired choices when it came to the story telling, and I would have preferred if the characters had been more comics accurate.

    And they kept some characters way to long in the show (Barbara for example).

  4. #19
    Incredible Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The "crazy people" in se series acted all overly zany, and not really like in real life.

    The show wasn't bad, the acting was good, and it looked pretty great, imo much better than the CW shows.

    But they made some wired choices when it came to the story telling, and I would have preferred if the characters had been more comics accurate.

    And they kept some characters way to long in the show (Barbara for example).
    That's your opinion, but some vilains, you cannot make them realistic and comics accurate at the same time. They chose the realistic side more.

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Too many villains developed during the series, decades before a mature Batman would operate. It's so stupid. So in the future we will get a 30 years old Batman fighting super-old supervillains. Not good, not cool.
    Well in the comics, lots of vilains ARE older than Batman: The Penguin, Hugo Strange, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Mad Hatter, ...
    Sure there are maybe a few that are a bit older in the show, but in reality it's more logic. That's because all those vilains rised up, that Bruce decides to become a vigilante. So having them older, is not that stupid.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Dr. Skeleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Agreed. Like getting some of the characters' ages all wrong, introducing the villains before Bruce ever becomes Batman, forcing a relationship between Jim Gordon and Leslie Thompkins (What's with the "Lee" name?), the Penguin's sexual preference, etc., etc. If they weren't gonna be true and somewhat accurate to the comics, this show should never have been made. They made the same mistake with Smallville which is why I jumped ship after season 2.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    That's your opinion, but some vilains, you cannot make them realistic and comics accurate at the same time. They chose the realistic side more.
    I don't think that the main villains were more realistic than in the comics, they were just different.

    And comics accurate is for me not really about the villains, but more about characters like Gordon and Dr. Thompkins.

  7. #22

    Default

    People get way to hung up on the "Villains are older than Batman" thing. This is far from the first time this has been done. Smallville lasted 10 seasons doing the same thing. Not every adaption has to be 100% comic accurate. It's a completely different medium and alternate takes are going to happen.

    The show is far from perfect, but it's fun. Once the show accepted the crazy and went off the rails it just became fun TV. It has a cool visual style and the actors play the roles perfectly. Plus the insane nature of the show allows for characters that would normally be had to adapt in a more "serious" movie take to be used such as Ventriloquist and Mad Hatter.

    People just wanted a Batman show and it was never going to be (nor was it billed as) a Batman show.
    Last Read: Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith vol 1: Imperial Machine
    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Daredevil, Dead Man Logan, Detective Comics, Doomsday Clock, The Flash, Heroes in Crisis, Kick-Ass, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Paper Girls, Shazam!, Supergirl, Superman, Young Justice

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member RickWJ324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Agreed. Like getting some of the characters' ages all wrong, introducing the villains before Bruce ever becomes Batman, forcing a relationship between Jim Gordon and Leslie Thompkins (What's with the "Lee" name?), the Penguin's sexual preference, etc., etc. If they weren't gonna be true and somewhat accurate to the comics, this show should never have been made. They made the same mistake with Smallville which is why I jumped ship after season 2.
    Gotham and Smallville aren't canon with the comic books. Just look at them as ELSEWORLDS stories, just like the various shows and movies that have come before.
    I totally get what you are saying and agree with things like having the villains come before Batman really screws up the overall story of Batman, but this show is NOT the comic, nor was Smallville. Heck, as far as Gotham goes, I would've been fine if Bruce never became Batman and all of the villains are Jim Gordon's villains...not the bat. Yes, it wouldn't jive with the comics but that's ok. Like it for it's own merit, not for it being a mirror copy of the comics.
    GOTHAM (and SMALLVILLE) were two fun shows, very different from the comics. But...I like them for what they were. Do I like them better than the comics? Absolutely not! And I totally understand why someone may not like them.

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Basically disagree with the negativity.

    Is Gotham a great show? No...I wouldn't call it that.

    Is it a fun show? I enjoy it very much. The insanity, the humor, and the bad ass moments all just create a very fun show for me. I'd also point out that Gotham has basically taken all of the tones of Batman over the years and somehow made them all work in a tv show.

    Also, the whole complain about Bruce's villains being older...I fundamentally disagree with it. Unlike every other rendition of Batman nowadays, the cool thing about Gotham is that Bruce didn't create all his villains. Rather, he sees the insanity and becomes a hero to combat it. It honestly makes Batman much more heroic imo.

  10. #25
    Spectacular Member Spencermalley935's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Nolan: Batman Begins is a good film and Batman film IMO but Dark Knight is a fantastic film and bad Batman movie IMO simply because Bruce wants to quit being Batman to have a life with Rachel as for DKR see Dark Knight criticism also Bale's voice a good Bruce but that voice was a joke for a good reason.
    How exactly does that make The Dark Knight it a "bad Batman film"? Bruce doesn't actually like being Batman, He's obligated to be Batman because he wants to make Gotham city a better place. He's said in the comics that the day he can hang up his cape and cowl and stay home is the day he's working towards. Him wanting to quit being Batman because he feels the day where he won't be needed is finally there only to have the Joker bring it all crashing down adds to the tragedy.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    How exactly does that make The Dark Knight it a "bad Batman film"? Bruce doesn't actually like being Batman, He's obligated to be Batman because he wants to make Gotham city a better place. He's said in the comics that the day he can hang up his cape and cowl and stay home is the day he's working towards. Him wanting to quit being Batman because he feels the day where he won't be needed is finally there only to have the Joker bring it all crashing down adds to the tragedy.
    By that logic Mask of the Phantasm is a bad Batman film because he wanted to quit/not be Batman and have a life with Andrea in that movie.

  12. #27
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    The show is fun and has had lots of good casting. However, I disagree with you on the casting of David as Bruce. I don't like him as Bruce most of the time, nor can I buy this scrawny kid acting tough and beating up on skilled soldiers, street gangs, etc. It comes across as silly most of the time. Still... I very much enjoy the show!!
    I kind of suspect they didn't think the show would last long enough to have Bruce Wayne become Batman. So David Mazouz were perfectly adequate as a frightened little kid.
    And at this point in time it isn't worth recasting the role. He does have the height. If the show lasted even longer maybe he could have bulked up Perhaps in the finale they might
    do a time jump and have someone bulky be Batman in the shadows. Anyway in most incarnations Catwoman kicks major butt. And Ruby Rose, who is going to be Batwoman, looked
    sort of skinny next to even Supergirl in the CW crossover. But she could kick butt. So it doesn't take someone muscle bound to have crazy ninja skills.

  13. #28
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    How exactly does that make The Dark Knight it a "bad Batman film"? Bruce doesn't actually like being Batman, He's obligated to be Batman because he wants to make Gotham city a better place. He's said in the comics that the day he can hang up his cape and cowl and stay home is the day he's working towards. Him wanting to quit being Batman because he feels the day where he won't be needed is finally there only to have the Joker bring it all crashing down adds to the tragedy.
    Kingverse Batman wants to quit. That's only in Tom King's comics. Most other versions, including Timmverse after Mask of the Phantasm don't want to quit and enjoys being Batman. It's a reoccurring theme that Bruce is addicted to the thrill of the hunt. Have you not read the 75th anniversary collection of classic stories? Have you not read any of the Legends of the Dark Knight series? Dixon's Batman? Rucka's Detective Comics? Snyder's Batman, any of the New 52 or pre Crisis Batman? Is your experience limited to just King's Batman which is the Batman for people who don't know or like Batman outside of fan fiction?

  14. #29
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    That's not even close to the fact they are using a not attractive kid as lead character, making him being a detective and a crimefighter without muscles or skills or the right age to do that.

    The "No Man's Land" arc story is just the nail in the coffin. So over the top and unbelievable.
    He looks like Bruce does in most comic flashbacks, and has excellent bone structure. He'll be attractive enough once he's in his late 20s and 30s. Until then, yes, he looks weird. Teenagers look, sound, and smell weird. It's biology, the only people who should find teenagers attractive are other teenagers. If you're an adult who expects to be attracted to teenagers there's something fundamentally wrong with you. I personally enjoyed watching him grow up and start evolving into a person. He's exactly what I would have expected Bruce to be based on various comics, although Gotham's Bruce is considerably tamer and more considerate than most comic versions of Bruce as a teen.

    Why would you expect a show based on Batman to be believable...outside of Florida where Bat villains and schemes are normal, everyday occurrences. Except instead of the insane asylum, Florida shrugs and fires up old sparky because crazy is as crazy does and crazy is no excuse to eat someone's face.

  15. #30
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I haven't liked it; it feels boring to me, but that may just be a limited attention span.
    I found mixing strong drinks and explaining everything to my Baby Boomer housemate who hasn't read comics since the early 1960s made it a quite enjoyable. Alcohol: it can be a solvent or a solution for many of your problems!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •