All-New Member

Default Recommendations for someone getting back to comics

Hi everyone! Due to a combination of lost interest in Marvel and DC's constant events and some financial issues, I haven't bought comics regularly for years. I'm now in a position where I can responsibly get back to comics, but I have no interest in going back to Marvel or DC. I'm not particularly interested in getting into new superhero titles either. To scratch that itch, I've got my collection and a Marvel Unlimited subscription where I read from the eras I like and occasionally check out current stuff (I'll likely be getting the DC service soon as well.)

I'm interested in most genres, though fantasy and sci fi are at the top for me. I was (and still am) a huge fan of Crossgen when it was publishing. One of the reasons I loved them so much was that they had so many different genres.

I've got an admittedly illogical aversion to licensed titles. I'd rather read something that the creators / company created.

So what would you recommend? Any genre is welcome. I'm particularly interested in supporting titles with BIPOC creative teams.
    Last edited by TimJ; 11-04-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Here’s a list of indie comics:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...mics-read/amp/

From this list, I highly recommend Saga, Chew, and Paper Girls. But there are soooo many others.

If you’ve been going digital already, check out ComiXology.com for lots of others that you can find with amazing discounts at times. I recommend comics from Image, Vertigo, OniPress.

Some of my other favorites have been:

Y The Last Man (just about anything from Brian K Vaughn)
    Trillium, Essex County (and just about anything from Jeff Lemire)
    Fatale, Criminal, Kill or Be Killed, The Fade Out (basically anything Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips)
    Black Science, Low, Deadly Class (Look up Rick Remender)
    Jonathan Hickman also has a bunch of stuff
    Letter 44 (some awesome Sci-fi from Charles Soule) and he has Curse Words (which I haven’t read yet but looks like great Fantasy)

These are just some suggestions. Again, look up Image Comics, Vertigo, and other smaller publishers.

Oh and how can I forget the reason for my Avatar... Atomic Robo. This was what got me back into comics after many years away. You can read the entire collection for free on the Atomic-robo.com site. Its sci-fi to a degree, but also history related. It’s pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-04-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Hex11 on Comixology. There is a way to buy print copies, but I've never actually done it so I can't tell you what the process is.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

right now, new titles (1-3 issues published) I'm enjoying:
    A Man Among Ye (pirates)
    Dept of Truth (SF paranoia/conspiracy)
    Spy Island (amusing (very) paranoia, conspiracy)
    Grendel, KY (monster story, but more largely a 'community at risk' story)
    Devil's Red Bride (actually not sure--alt history? alt mythology? one issue so far)
    Norse Myth (Gaiman/P.Craid Russell; two issues, waiting for its pedigree to prove itself)
    and long-running: The Goon... actually all of those listed in my tag (below)
    happy reading!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Y: The Last Man was my first comic book and I think it was a good choice to get started. I see it get spoken of negatively quite a lot, but personally I think it's a good read, just don't read it expecting some complex plot
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Are you interested in european comics? Some of my favorites series are:
    -Persepolis
    -Blacksad
    -Thorgal

I don't know if you care about manga, but I really like Berserk
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Top (3) Three Recommendations would be...

Killraven

Ronin

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-29-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.