Spectacular Member

Default How about a Jokester reboot?

I'm not extremely happy about the way some of the DC Comics writers have treated the Joker. Yeah, I know that in universe he's a mass murdering lunatic clown, but that's only one version of him; the Joker has gone through many changes over the years and been portrayed in a few different forms. Officially, he has no origin story and is pretty much your quintessential scary clown villain, ideally with a dark comedic twist.

It's not really that way for the superheroes, though. Batman, for example, has a well defined origin story, and the character stays more or less the same, in essence, even though he's updated from time to time. You still never lose what makes the character "Batman." It's the same with the other well-known superheroes, so...why not make a superhero version of the Joker that has a defined backstory and set characterization?

The Jokester from Earth 3 that appeared in Countdown to Final Crisis was a good example of this. Why not reboot this character and give him all of the good traits of the Joker (the sense of humor, the dark comedy, the Silver Age silliness, the crazily clever wit, etc.)?

The Joker's a great character in theory, but the changes the writers often make to him cause him to lose character development that could make the character even more interesting. Since making Joker something familiar might pose a problem in main continuity and mess up something DC wants to do with the character further down the line, why don't they reboot the Jokester character and give him all of the great backstories, quirks, and personality traits of the Joker we all know and love?

Astonishing Member

I would like to see the Jokester return too. I like to see the other Third Earth 'Heroes' be developed also.

I believe that Earth 3 is actually a dark Earth built on the fear of super-heroes. Many of them could be 'rescued' and returned to our Universe.

It could be a fun Young Animal title and a take I'd be curious about.

I think it should draw from the Joker from the telltale Batman games.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.

I do not quite agree with your point regarding The Joker, but I definitely want to see more stories using Jokester. I thought Flash War would have been a good time to introduce either another alternate Joker or give us a Jokester Easter egg, but that is probably just the megafan talking.

BANNED

the crime syndicate episode of Batman Brave & the Bold explored the Jokester character perfectly...he is the Red Hood and was thrown into chemicals by Owlman. he almost goes insane from the event like in earth one but there's a great scene where he's staring into the mirror, laughing, until his eyes narrow and he destroys the mirror. would love to see this version of the character again