Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Best Cosmic Superman stories

I bought "Superman: Exile" and really enjoyed it. Need to re-read it soon, but I'd like to know more really good COSMIC Superman stories. His adventures away from Earth. Please share them here and post images if you can to have an idea of the art.

Found this image today and is so cool! Where is it from?

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

It's come from Superman For tomorrow
    And speaking of his adventures away from earth.
    I personally think Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes is the best(combined to it later storyline:THE Great Darkness Saga)
    And Supes Dc one million series(including crossover,Like superman one million,Man of steel one million,man of tomorrow one million,ETC)
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 04-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Glad you liked Exile. In the same comics there was another big storyline that was similar, Trial of Superman.

Weird to think that he mostly just has space brought to him, but maybe just takes an issue or two in deep space. The James Robinson two part story was neat, from Superman volume 3. Let me know if there's a specific type of thing you want out of a Superman in space story, like taking on a different role, alien culture exploration, etc.

Last Son of Earth, for example, was a good story made up outside of his regular canon.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Sadly he rarely gets to go on Big Cosmic Trips anymore. He does occasionally go to different worlds for a single arc, like he did during the Rebirth runs with Men of Steel and Imperius Lex. Your pic is from “For Tomorrow” by Azzarelo and Lee, it’s a pretty mixed book. Some people like it and some people don’t. Gorgeous art but the storytelling was a bit lacking imo.

They actually recreated that image for many products. I have it on some slippers, haha. But yeah the story was uneven. Generally a lot of cool action for what that's worth.

If you like that a lot, it's actually similar to a cover Walt Simonson did for Action Comics Annual 7. The story features a young Superman in his first space adventure.

I'm not sure if you'd call it cosmic or just spacefaring but it's a good one.

Oh and here's a drawn page from Seed of Destruction, from Exile creator Jerry Ordway and Steve Rude, who made his name on a space opera called Nexus in addition to drawing Superman occasionally and many other characters.

Times like these I wish I opened up my Superman collection to more team stories like the Legion or League. Superman did get a solo cosmic spotlight from DC in a digest book called Best of DC #12, but it's a tricky one to find with decent aging on the pages

thank you guys.

Let me know if there's a specific type of thing you want out of a Superman in space story, like taking on a different role, alien culture exploration, etc.
    All of that sounds exciting. As long as it's really good, creative and imaginative. Even those going back to Krypton stories as long as it's well written, especially Supes. I like stories in which he uses his intelligence and has good dialogue.

I remember he and Jon went to some dinosaur island in recent comics from 1 or 2 years ago. Some people said it could be the center of the Earth like the Aquaman movie?

Adventures of Superman is a series of one and done stories by a wide variety of authors and artists, quite a few whom write about Supes going off into space. So far they’re quite good I’m just finishing the first trade. If you’re looking for more cosmic stuff you could pick up that.

Cosmic Odyssey isn't a Superman solo story, but it has Superman in a cosmic adventure with the New Gods and Darkseid. Mike Mignola art as well!

There's a fun 3-issue story of Superman lost in space from 1994. It technically starts in Man of Steel #30, but the lost in space stuff is Superman #86 and runs through triangle numbers 6-8.

A37B662A-B060-4537-B043-730E4C3EF021.jpg
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Our Worlds at War.
    The original Mongul story in DC Comics Presents.
    Exile.
    Time & Time Again.
    Panic in the Sky.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I'll always go to bat for Trial of Superman. Underrated arc during the triangle era.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Agreed. Here or there, I forgot about stories like that over a few years and read it in full about a year ago. I think the picks here have been pretty great. Poor Auron!

And although it's not necessarily space stuff, I would both say the Ron Marz stories (Kandor, One Man JLA, and his Iron Giant story from the latest Adventures of Superman series) and most of what you find in AoS (David Lapham, Tim Seeley, Marc Guggenheim, Jerry Ordway, Joe Keatinge, B. Clay Moore... ironically about everyone except my favorite writer Peter Milligan) was great for the scope of Superman. That Seeds of Destruction story was the second to last of the series.

Oh and as a treat last year, DC released Tom King's Action #1000 story as a free preview. And of course that comic overall was good.

Retired

Pre-Crisis, there's the various stories about returning to Krypton, the stories of Lexor (Luthor's adopted planet), several stories of Superman meeting other super-champions on other worlds, the Immortal Superman three-parter, the Superman vs. Mongul three-parter, and many other individual stories of Superman being in space. When you take into account all the Legion stories and the solo stories of Superboy, it seems like Clark spent more time in space when he was a teen-ager than when he was an adult (discounting the time when he was the Immortal Superman which might have been eons).

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'll always go to bat for Trial of Superman. Underrated arc during the triangle era.
    I remember them getting me with the side mystery of "Is Alpha Centurion actually Henshaw in disguise?" I was almost convinced back then. I agree, it's an underrated arc. The Superman Rescue Squad! Space Pirates! Galactic Tribunals! It was lots of fun.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

"FOR YOU, KAL!" gets me everytime.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El