• Yes

38 77.55%
  • No

7 14.29%
  • Unsure/Don't Care

4 8.16%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is It Time....

I've been thinking about this, and I'm still unsure.

When it happened under JMS, it opened up some storytelling possibilities, and it didn't make Peter's life that much easier when Aunt May had specific reasons to be worried for his safety. It does fit a metaphor of a young adult bringing a parent into other aspects of their lives.

But something is lost.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But something is lost.
    Lies and subversion? Didn't miss it for seven years. Spider-Man used to reflect life for me...you don't get to sweep changes like this under the rug and resume the way you normally were. It's not fair to the individual.

The great thing about Spencer's run is that he's delving into how unfair this was for Felicia. Something WAS lost for her, and she's struggling to adjust to having found it again.

Imagine just what that kind of drama could do for a parental figure rather than a romantic interest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Just prior to OMD, that's what we got, and it led to some engaging stories.
    Okay. So if they get rid of Spider-Man's secret identity again, what is the series even about after that? How long do they stick with that premise?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay. So if they get rid of Spider-Man's secret identity again, what is the series even about after that? How long do they stick with that premise?
    I don't think certain major people knowing Peter's identity automatically equals him not having a secret identity anymore when the majority of characters will probably still not know he's Spider-Man.

Granted, nowadays there are a lot of people who are "in-the-know..."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think certain major people knowing Peter's identity automatically equals him not having a secret identity anymore
    The poster was referring to how things were just prior to One More Day, where Spider-Man didn't have a secret identity.

I never liked JMS's Aunt May once she found out. She felt like a completely different character.

On top of that, I think it really hurt her role in the books. She was a reflection of Peter's normal life and a look back at the good old days for him. Once she finds out, it just doesn't feel like there's a normal for him anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I never liked JMS's Aunt May once she found out. She felt like a completely different character.
    Evolution means nothing stays the same.

On top of that, I think it really hurt her role in the books. She was a reflection of Peter's normal life and a look back at the good old days for him.

When you really think about it, it's kind of funny that people like Iron Fist and Bucky Barnes know Peter's identity but people who should probably know by now like Aunt May or Harry don't. Though I guess you could make the excuse the former only knew due to their occasion with the New Avengers, and they don't actually care about it, while May and others closer to Peter would be more "in danger".

Honestly at this point, Peter's association and connection to Spider-Man among his close friends is so well known they aren't any less in danger if they were to find out or not, just as long as it's not completely general public knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Honestly at this point, Peter's association and connection to Spider-Man among his close friends is so well known they aren't any less in danger if they were to find out or not, just as long as it's not completely general public knowledge.
    I think the argument could be made that the more people around Peter that know, the likelier someone who shouldn't know will find out and put them all at risk.

That's basically what happened with Jonah helping Norman figure it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the argument could be made that the more people around Peter that know, the likelier someone who shouldn't know will find out and put them all at risk.

That's basically what happened with Jonah helping Norman figure it out again.
    That's true, I don't know how they could do this, but I thought it could be a pretty fun story that explored all the people who knew Peter's identity, and show how that effects their relationship (superhero or not), and maybe can they can also show that there are some people who secretly know, but don't tell him, like say if we found out Robbie or Ben Urich knew but just don't say anything.

We need a story about the Daily Bugle group chat where they just dunk on Pierre Parker and his attempts at keeping a secret ID.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    We need a story about the Daily Bugle group chat where they just dunk on Pierre Parker and his attempts at keeping a secret ID.
    I bet he's secretly Peter Parker.

On top of that, I think it really hurt her role in the books. She was a reflection of Peter's normal life and a look back at the good old days for him. Once she finds out, it just doesn't feel like there's a normal for him anymore.
    hmm, interesting point
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Yeah, nowadays it seems like you’re either a superhero or a supervillain. Normal people just don’t exist anymore in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah, nowadays it seems like you’re either a superhero or a supervillain. Normal people just don’t exist anymore in comics.
    How does May knowing Peter is Spider-Man make her a superhero or supervillain?