Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

In regards to my thoughts on this as an issue in a critical sense? I think this was a flawed issue in the sense that it didn't have the same sort of character crackling off it like the other issues in this arc did. Not the weakest of the whole run for me (that's actually one of the earlier issues), but it doesn't follow issue 9's particularly strong showing as well as I would've liked.

This chapter is more fascinated with things to come rather than what it is, and I think that makes it feel more sped up than it actually is. It makes for an interesting read because questions are being asked, and new mysteries are being put out before us, but the this is basically a wrap-up. This is unlike the issue 6 wrap-up that functioned very similar, but was structured to go for maximum character and emotion. It ended on a question, yes, but the emotional playoff was strong. This issue the character moments between and from Jon, Jor-El, Clark, and Lois salvage it greatly. My stand out moments being when Lois basically says they'll need to make up for lost time, the honest concern Jor-El had for his grandson, and the look of clear pride Clark has on his face when his son says he'll "suit up" again. I also enjoyed the general youthful exuberance Jon still retains.

Also Lois' "hey! Only a couple of weeks" almost made me glassy eyed.

I don't have much of an opinion on the scar. Maybe Peterson forgot to draw it as early as last issue? Maybe it's a side effect from Jor-El's teleportation rod? I don't really care. Seems more like an aesthetic choice than a story one.

Edit: I had a gripe about the suit deciding to transport them now right after Jon's story at first, but then I realized Clark touches the suit right when it activates, and he seems to understand what's going on. I'm guessing after Jon told him that Jor-El gave him the suit, and used it to transport him to Earth, he understood what to do. Cool.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-10-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've spent X years looking for Jon, and then it hits me - go back to where I was before we hit the wormhole and stop it from happening.

So.... why couldn't Jor-El just do this?
    Wouldn't Jor-El have to stop all of Dark Nights Metal and Snyder's run on Justice League from happening to stop that? He specifically says the wormhole is because of a break in the Source Wall, and we as readers know why that break happened.

Or do you mean stop them from going in?

Monkey's paw time travel logic my apply, and stopping one thing may lead to something far, far worse?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Wouldn't Jor-El have to stop all of Dark Nights Metal and Snyder's run on Justice League from happening to stop that? He specifically says the wormhole is because of a break in the Source Wall, and we as readers know why that break happened.

Or do you mean stop them from going in?

Monkey's paw time travel logic may apply, and stopping one thing may lead to something far, far worse?

Oh, I just mean stopping them from going in. There's no way he could stop the rest of it.

Though, Jon does ask Jor how long it'd been for him, so maybe he's been "through the loop twice" because he wasn't able to stop it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I enjoyed the overall issue, but I agree its weird to correlate the "Jor-El is crazy" concept when here....I mean he was nothing but heroic in my eyes. Scoured the multiverse for years for his grandson, finds him, then when attacked he teleports him back to Earth out of harms way. I mean, I get them being miffed that his idea to take this trip basically caused all this, I get that and can still see Superman being mad about that. But these actions once problems arose don't ring as crazy to me.

And as one who kinda did think the scar was supposed to be at least some level of a deal, I was also confused it didn't get mentioned at all how it happened. I guess maybe its just not a thing at all.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Right now I'm hoping the inconsistencies with the timeline with Jon saying he thought he spent a year in space with Jor-el when this began and them returning from this time warp three weeks after they first left pay off and they end up stopping the present Jon and Jor-el from going back in to the wormhole to begin with. They'd still have about plenty of time to do so if my math is correct. That's the only thing I remotely care care about. I want the young Jon back.

Oh, I just mean stopping them from going in. There's no way he could stop the rest of it.

Though, Jon does ask Jor how long it'd been for him, so maybe he's been "through the loop twice" because he wasn't able to stop it.
    Gotcha. Well, I'm guessing Jor-El went through all of the variables on that moment given he talks about all the variables.

Side note: that "I could not, but maybe you can" line really freakin kills me, man. Like, he spent years doing an infinite amount of calculations.....and he succeeded! That's both heartbreaking and cool. His transformation into Rick Sanchez is now complete!

I'd say that Jon's mostly worried about what "deals" Jor-El made to get him back, and how clearly unwell he seems. Jor-El looks unwell with his lazy eye as the big indicator. I don't think Jon assumes any malevolence out of Jor-El, but rather he's genuinely concerned because this was already a guy who was not in a good spot. I think just leaving a guy like that to his own devices is the thing he's scared off.
    Even that though seems out of proportion. His reaction in the initial issue was that Jor El was completely insane and they have to do something about it. There's really very little to support that at all, Jor El was worried and confused because he thought Jon tried to run away from him after the wormhole, but he still hasn't really shown anything at all that would justify Jon's statements. If the most Bendis was going to lay down for that was "You don't know the deals I've made" to save you and then have Jor El be attacked, it's a pretty weak justification for some rather alarming interpretation on Jon's behalf.

In regards to my thoughts on this as an issue in a critical sense? I think this was a flawed issue in the sense that it didn't have the same sort of character crackling off it like the other issues in this arc did. Not the weakest of the whole run for me (that's actually one of the earlier issues), but it doesn't follow issue 9's particularly strong showing as well as I would've liked.

This chapter is more fascinated with things to come rather than what it is, and I think that makes it feel more sped up than it actually is. It makes for an interesting read because questions are being asked, and new mysteries are being put out before us, but the this is basically a wrap-up. This is unlike the issue 6 wrap-up that functioned very similar, but was structured to go for maximum character and emotion. It ended on a question, yes, but the emotional playoff was strong. This issue the character moments between and from Jon, Jor-El, Clark, and Lois salvage it greatly. My stand out moments being when Lois basically says they'll need to make up for lost time, the honest concern Jor-El had for his grandson, and the look of clear pride Clark has on his face when his son says he'll "suit up" again. I also enjoyed the general youthful exuberance Jon still retains.

Also Lois' "hey! Only a couple of weeks" almost made me glassy eyed.

I don't have much of an opinion on the scar. Maybe Peterson forgot to draw it as early as last issue? Maybe it's a side effect from Jor-El's teleportation rod? I don't really care. Seems more like an aesthetic choice than a story one.

Edit: I had a gripe about the suit deciding to transport them now right after Jon's story at first, but then I realized Clark touches the suit right when it activates, and he seems to understand what's going on. I'm guessing after Jon told him that Jor-El gave him the suit, and used it to transport him to Earth, he understood what to do. Cool.
    I did like the Lois moments. I thought the limited scenes she's had in this whole run and this issue were well done. You do get the sense that she's holding it together for Jon, and the moment with her and Clark was really nice. Jor El also I liked, I think he's being portrayed in the flashbacks as being a really sympathetic character. I am just really having a difficult time going from what we are being shown in Jon's flashbacks to the take away that he's crazy. He's been trying to help Jon, trying to connect to him, spent a decade trying to rescue him, does rescue him from Earth 3, then saves him from the Zaar attack, and it just doesn't connect for me on any level. If Jon was like, Grandpa needs our help, or something, that would make sense. And on top of it, both Lois and Clark are being written as basically thinking this is all Jor El's fault and he needs a beat down. There's a real disconnect for me between what we're seeing and how the characters are reacting.

I think you're right that his has to occur after Leviathan Rising, but maybe even after the Leviathan Rising Special. Maybe Superman is off planet handling this during the Event: Leviathan series. Be a little odd, but I guess we'll see how that shakes out in a few months. The Unity Saga now apparently runs through Superman #14, so we have 4 more issues of this. Bendis said in that Publishers Weekly podcast that Rucka is writing scenes of Lois writing in her hotel room still, so unless those are flashbacks, she may end up back there.

All and all this still seems like the weakest issue to me. Curious as to which one did you think from earlier was weaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I enjoyed the overall issue, but I agree its weird to correlate the "Jor-El is crazy" concept when here....I mean he was nothing but heroic in my eyes. Scoured the multiverse for years for his grandson, finds him, then when attacked he teleports him back to Earth out of harms way. I mean, I get them being miffed that his idea to take this trip basically caused all this, I get that and can still see Superman being mad about that. But these actions once problems arose don't ring as crazy to me.
    It's kinda even weirder when Jon was so excited and happy that Jor El had rescued him from Earth 3 and then immediately seems to jump to he's crazy as soon as he comes back.

And as one who kinda did think the scar was supposed to be at least some level of a deal, I was also confused it didn't get mentioned at all how it happened. I guess maybe its just not a thing at all.
    I'm curious if it's something Reis just included in the design because it looked cool and then once they actually got to the storyline decided to quietly ignore. Supergirl had facial cuts in her last issue that immediately healed when she was exposed to yellow sunlight. So you'd think Jon would have to have incurred them on Earth 3. But scarring a Kryptonian is a big deal and it's weird that it got glossed over or was just an art mistake.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Gotcha. Well, I'm guessing Jor-El went through all of the variables on that moment given he talks about all the variables.

Side note: that "I could not, but maybe you can" line really freakin kills me, man. Like, he spent years doing an infinite amount of calculations.....and he succeeded! That's both heartbreaking and cool. His transformation into Rick Sanchez is now complete!
    Next time I see Jor-el, I'm going to think Wubba Lubba dub-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm pretty convinced Jon means "crazy" as in mentally unwell.

Jon mentions twice (once to Jor-El and once to his dad) that he's very worried about whatever shady deals Jor-El made to find him. And just the general not okay vibe Jor-El is giving off. But from Clark's POV he still seems like he's conflicted on how to take things as far as it being Jor-El's trip that lead to this. Seems more like a "I really need someone to be mad at for this thing that happened, but I don't know if I should be mad at anyone" deal. But the crazy part seems more like "grandpa wasn't okay from the start, and now I don't know how he's handed all these years."

I liked this issue. I called Jon’s trip being through time as well as space and looks like I was right. Jor-El seems unstable but I’m guessing that “Grandpa is crazy” was just Bendis trying to put in a cliffhanger to keep you reading. I’m curious to see why Zod is on Rogal’s side now. Reis draws really gorgeous spreads that’s for damn sure. While I’m still not convinced making Jon this old was necessary or even a good idea I like how Bendis writes him. Jon is still the good kid he always was, he’s even up to go save Jor-El after just getting back home.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'm curious if it's something Reis just included in the design because it looked cool and then once they actually got to the storyline decided to quietly ignore. Supergirl had facial cuts in her last issue that immediately healed when she was exposed to yellow sunlight. So you'd think Jon would have to have incurred them on Earth 3. But scarring a Kryptonian is a big deal and it's weird that it got glossed over or was just an art mistake.
    It's possible that the scar was decision from the artist. However, it is still weird Jon didn't have a scar at all when he speaks with Jor-El, but he has one in the present.

Another possibility is that Bendis has a plan to explain the scar, but he changed his plan at the end.

Anyway, I think it's pretty possible the scar will dissapear soon. It's even possible the scar won't exist anymore in the next issue.

Astonishing Member

I like this issue, other that the weird continuity error with the scar happening within the same issue and Jon's hyperbolic "grandpa's crazy" being somewhat debunked, I enjoyed reading this. Here's hoping Bendis expounds on the deals Jor-El made in the coming issues.

I'm looking forward to that father-son reunion. As much as Clark wants to be mad at Jor-El, knowing the whole truth of what happened out there might make it a wee bit difficult. Clark might find himself in a tough spot in the coming issues, including dealing with the consequences of Jor-El's deals made whilst desperately searching for Jon.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 04-10-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Always Rakzo

Well, this was one of the most worthless things I've read this week. Barely anything happened and that things that did were mostly about stuff we already knew.

Good art at least.

Astonishing Member

I do dig the timey-wimey stuff. Rogol Zarr opening the storyline and then the way this is playing does feel like a season of Who, where like the resolution was right there in the beginning in the first place because of timey-wimey "I want to be clever" writing hijinx. But I can roll with that for a Superman arc because I don't think all arcs will always be this disjointed. I mean, Action Comics hasn't been, right? So it seems like it's at least a purposeful choice on the part of Unity Saga. I'd figured Jon had to be blasted into the past on Earth-3 because you know ... Earth-3 wasn't annihilated and the Super-Not-Friends aren't all dead.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Overall, I absolutely LOVED this issue. A lot of movement, and some great characterization for Lois & Clark - I like how they feel what's happening, but are adjusted enough to strap in and move forward. And how Jon follows this lead is great.

But I do have one question that kinda wrecks the plot...

Let's say I'm Jor-El, and got sucked back in time and I can't find Jon. But I'm apparently able to visit planets/etc with no problem and "make deals". So it won't take long to find out not only where I am, but WHEN I am.

I've spent X years looking for Jon, and then it hits me - go back to where I was before we hit the wormhole and stop it from happening.

So.... why couldn't Jor-El just do this?

Other than that, though, I thought this issue was great.
    I think Jor-El, given how intelligent he is, would understand the potential dangers of altering time, particularly since his own survival was the result of someone mucking with time and it has caused so much pain and suffering for him.