Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Reboot One Batman Character

Let's say DC wants you to reboot/retool just one Batman character. Could be Batman himself, one of his supporting cast, or a villain. Only caveat is you can't just change them back to be like they were in a previous run/era. So, who do you change, and how? Can only be one.

Personally, I think Harper Row, and I'd remove the portion where her mom Miranda was murdered as a plot against Batman. I'd also like to have her be written by writers other than Scott Snyder and James Tynion. I have nothing against the two, but having the rule that only they are able to write the character really hurts the character's ability to appear (as of writing this, it's been 574 days since she was last seen in a comic).

I'd keep the Bluebird aspect, but develop the suit more too from a design point of view.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Astonishing Member

I would make it so that Azrael is a rival for Damian.

Bruce/Batman himself, at least from Jason's death onward. Mainly, in that he's more emotionally open (and actually has more than anger and cold calculation) and a better father figure to his various kids than he currently is/has been the last several years. This is probably the most frustrating thing about the character for me. It looks as if, so long as everyone follows his orders, no questions asked, he figures everything is great. Should one of his kids act out, they're either alienated or beaten to a pulp. Sometimes both (like Jason).

If Bruce were a better father figure, he would, you know, actually try and talk with his kids. Like ask Damian why he's isolated himself and attacked Jason. Or asked Jason why he brazenly went after Penguin. That sort of thing. But, nope. He avoids/ignores Damian, and beats the tar out of Jason so he can drag him to Arkham (you know, where Gotham's resident clown tends to be).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Bette/Bethy Kane back to be the original Bat-Girl, but cooler. I don't know exactly how. Haven't thought of that. But after she retired I want her to be a mentor figure to subsequent Batgirls or joined Kathy in Spyral, or both.
    She can partner with Kate but their relationship will be more like Bruce and Dick than Bruce and Tim or Damian. Mutual respect.

Empty is thy hand!

I wanted Jason Todd as a villain with Damian as his Robin so badly, but DC and Morrison had other ideas.

Otherwise I would make Azrael the leader of his own cult who knowingly misleads its members. There's a lot you could mine there with faith and denial.

Ric Grayson.

I’d make him Dick Grayson/Nightwing
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bruce/Batman himself, at least from Jason's death onward. Mainly, in that he's more emotionally open (and actually has more than anger and cold calculation) and a better father figure to his various kids than he currently is/has been the last several years. This is probably the most frustrating thing about the character for me. It looks as if, so long as everyone follows his orders, no questions asked, he figures everything is great. Should one of his kids act out, they're either alienated or beaten to a pulp. Sometimes both (like Jason).

If Bruce were a better father figure, he would, you know, actually try and talk with his kids. Like ask Damian why he's isolated himself and attacked Jason. Or asked Jason why he brazenly went after Penguin. That sort of thing. But, nope. He avoids/ignores Damian, and beats the tar out of Jason so he can drag him to Arkham (you know, where Gotham's resident clown tends to be).
    If Bruce became a better father figure, it also would've showed that Bruce learned from his past mistakes with his past kids and actively working toward preventing from repeating them in the future.

Spectacular Member

Reboot Duela Dent and go with her Pre-Crisis origin story, where she was revealed to be the Joker's daughter from an alternate timeline. Also, bring back her dad, the Jokester from Earth 3, and give him all of the positive traits of the Earth 1 Joker character.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Ric Grayson.

I’d make him Dick Grayson/Nightwing
    Only caveat is you can't just change them back to be like they were in a previous run/era. You can make him Nightwing again, but you still got to do something more than just backtrack the whole Ric thing.

I agree with you choice but not your premise. I want Bette's original status as Bat-girl acknowledge but I would like to see her grow or really be in her "Flamebird" role.

I would like to capitalize on her strange relationship with the original Batwoman and as part of the original Batfamily.

BANNED

I would reboot the character of Orpheus. Calling back to his origin story and the etymology of the name, sound and music would be his primary tools. Instead of being young and inexperienced like when he was introduced, Orpheus' exploits in Gotham predates Batman's. Let's say he has a wife who is kidnapped by supervillains for whatever reason and he makes a deal to get her back. He must work for these criminals, using his skills as a sound engineer and dancer to fight enemies with advanced technology and a suit of armor. Part of the deal working for these criminals is he must never inquire where his wife is, what she's doing, what they want with her, or ever try to save her, until the deal is complete. He feels like it's taking too long and attempts to rescue her but it turns out she was dead the whole time and they were blackmailing Orpheus, he decides to use his power for good and becomes allies with Batman to help him make better decisions as a vigilante. an origin that ties to the Greek mythology of Orpheus, let's say he is a character that lives and breathes within musical sounds and is most powerful when these sounds are at their peak, either literally or figuratively

Astonishing Member

I'd reboot Lucius Fox to make him more like the Nolanverse version. He was an old friend of Thomas Wayne's who fell out of favor with the powers-that-be at Wayne Enterprises until Bruce brought him back to run the company. I'd go with the idea of him being a tech whiz and ace engineer who developed all of Batman's equipment over the years, and was aware that Bruce is Batman - even if he didn't necessarily let on that he knew.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'd reboot Lucius Fox to make him more like the Nolanverse version. He was an old friend of Thomas Wayne's who fell out of favor with the powers-that-be at Wayne Enterprises until Bruce brought him back to run the company. I'd go with the idea of him being a tech whiz and ace engineer who developed all of Batman's equipment over the years, and was aware that Bruce is Batman - even if he didn't necessarily let on that he knew.
    Thats seems pretty much to be his background in the post flashpoint continuity.

Joe Chill.

The murderer of Thomas and Martha should be the ultimate boogeyman to Bruce.

And he should be a complete mystery, forever.

Bruce will never find him, nor even find out who he really was, or what happened to him.

There are no revealing details, and Bruce never saw what Chill even looked like.

Bruce isn't even sure that Chill wasn't a woman (Joe/Jo?).

Actually, Maybe no first name for Chill is best.

"Chill" was the only word Bruce remembers the murderer responding to, coming from off-panel and stopping the murderer from offing Bruce before fleeing the scene.

Chill is never seen nor heard from, ever again. Bruce will spend the rest of his life wondering about this person, never to get closure.