Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is correct. The only comic that interests me is Spider-Man. When I was younger, I used to like Daredevil, Thor and the FF but now it is only Spider-Man. If Marvel decides that OMD is so great that they must double down on it, then I will simply agree to disagree and walk away.
    That’s ironic, since Daredevil is the only consistently great book Marvel has produced the last 2 decades.

Angry

I'm trying to give this storyline a fair shake I really am but Marvel Creative is making it harder and harder to do so with each passing issue. Still, I'll reserve final judgment until I see where this is going.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That’s ironic, since Daredevil is the only consistently great book Marvel has produced the last 2 decades.
    That's a pretty firm 'no' on that.

Yes, Daredevil has been consistently great (we'll agree to not hold the Diggle run against it) but it's far, far from the only one.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I have long been critical of using the "Aunt May In Peril" over and over again. That said, I will give the story a chance to play out. But if it involves another deal to keep Aunt May alive in exchange for OMD Part 2, then I am done. No more reading, ( even back issues), no more following and I will not even comment on this story. Why? I will take it as giving the finger to me and long time Spider-Man fans, and I am.not going to waste my time getting disgusted over and over again. Better off sticking to sports.
    Being fairly old, I'm betting I'm more of a "long time" Spidey fan than you. So I will that that while this Spidey fan is very leery about where this is going but there's no storyline that will ever make me so mad that I'll stop reading my back issues!

They could make Peter into a serial killer and at the very least I'd still be like "Well, at least I've got the Lee/Ditko run!"

That said, I just really hope they've put some real thought and care into where this storyline with May is going.

If they intend this to be her swan song, fine. I respect that (even if I think it's mistake to lose the character). And if they want to have her go through this only to make a recovery and remission through treatment, ok. I think it's a bit cheap to have a character that cheats death so often threatened with a disease that kills so many in real life but, fine...I'll just pass on reading it without actually being offended by it.

But if, as some fear, it's going to be another magic fix at the end...I would not blame anyone for being pissed. I mean, come on.

For what it's worth, though, I'm pretty sure that's not the route they're going to take.

BANNED

Boy... that.... looks ridiculously stupid. Spidey breaks a car thief's arm and THEN helps him to escape the police in a stolen car because he feels bad about it?
    Yes! That was a whole other thing that made me throw my hands up in disgust! I couldn't believe it.

And Spidey really doesn't take any responsibility for breaking the kid's wrist. He takes him to Dr. Strange for help but pretty much lets himself off the hook.

This is a bad book. It's poorly written with terrible characterization. Sorry, but it is. Trading 'Spec' and Chip for this was a raw deal.
    If it's any consolation, I don't see this title making it too much farther.

Better luck with the next Spidey satellite book.

BANNED

...One good thing I will say about this issue is that Yildiray Cinar's art was top-notch. I hope the Spider Office offers him some more work.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    ...One good thing I will say about this issue is that Yildiray Cinar's art was top-notch. I hope the Spider Office offers him some more work.
    I agree the artwork was top notch, the story not so much IMO.

Edit - Although I'll admit I am a bit biased because at this point I really, really, REALLY hate OMD references. Did I mention how much I hate OMD references?
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.

What the hell guys?! It wasn't even the worst Spider-Man book! Oh my goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    What the hell guys?! It wasn't even the worst Spider-Man book! Oh my goodness.
    We all are entitled to our opinion. It just isn't my cup of tea. If you like it more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    We all are entitled to our opinion. It just isn't my cup of tea. If you like it more power to you.
    I mean, I get that. I do. But it's one issue. One. We haven't seen the rest of the story, and some on here are already dropping the title, ready to write off comics forever (?!). It's a little early for the outrage, don't you think?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I did NOT like this issue at all.

It sealed the deal for me dropping this title.

Aside from just not feeling another trip to Death's Door for May, there was a moment here that stuck in my craw so badly, I just can't continue reading the book.

After May tells Peter about her condition, she asks him to be with her the next day for her chemo treatment and Peter responds with "...I've got a lot going on." or words to that effect.

Yes, eventually he does the right thing and shows up for her but that he would be such a sh*t and not immediately agree to be there struck me as so un-Peter like that I knew that this would be my last issue. Had he agreed but then his ability to get there was put in jeopardy because he had to handle something as Spider-Man, I could go along with that - as utterly cliched as it would have been. But that he would hesitate even for a second to be there for May...no, I don't buy that. That's just bad writing on the part of Tom Taylor.

I was on the fence about this book anyway but this issue made up my mind for me.

I'll be interested in hearing where they go with this May storyline - and I hope it doesn't wind up being as exploitative as it seems - but I won't follow along.
    Dang man if even you dislike it...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Did you play the video game?
    Even I got to admit that the recent Video game Spider-man on the PS4 had a bit more tendency of being told a proper Aunt May's death tale when it's through Peter's POV.

*Opens thread*

*Scans thread*

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

In addition to what's already been said about this development, I'm annoyed that the current canon has Aunt May STILL in the dark about Peter as Spider-Man.

What story mileage are we getting out of that?? My only guess is it's leading to an "I always knew" as in the PS4 game, which only works if May actually dies, which won't happen.

Astonishing Member

Being fairly old, I'm betting I'm more of a "long time" Spidey fan than you. So I will that that while this Spidey fan is very leery about where this is going but there's no storyline that will ever make me so mad that I'll stop reading my back issues!

They could make Peter into a serial killer and at the very least I'd still be like "Well, at least I've got the Lee/Ditko run!"

That said, I just really hope they've put some real thought and care into where this storyline with May is going.

If they intend this to be her swan song, fine. I respect that (even if I think it's mistake to lose the character). And if they want to have her go through this only to make a recovery and remission through treatment, ok. I think it's a bit cheap to have a character that cheats death so often threatened with a disease that kills so many in real life but, fine...I'll just pass on reading it without actually being offended by it.

But if, as some fear, it's going to be another magic fix at the end...I would not blame anyone for being pissed. I mean, come on.

For what it's worth, though, I'm pretty sure that's not the route they're going to take.
    I certainly hope you are right that they are not doing a "Magic Fix" and doubling down on OMD. But one thing I have learned about Marvel is they rarely admit to mistakes and try to rehash garbage like Clone Saga years later ( Slott over Alpha was an exception).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 04-11-2019 at 02:38 AM.