Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-23 #11 Review *Spoilers*

I've been fairly critical of Mariko's run on X-23. It started off good with an interesting idea of putting her and Gabby against the Cuckoos. But the whole Cyborg arc was dull and just felt like a rehash of the 4 Sisters arc. BUT i'm willing to forgive it because this issue was great. Dialogue is rich and on point. Diego right now is second to Choi IMO of the best Laura artists. To me this by far is Mariko's best issue on her run. It's just a shame we had to slog through a lot of meh to get here.

Just look at these beauties:

Yes Laura is usually a fairly stoic character. She can be cold and calculating. But I gotta admit its fun and great too see her emote like this. Both of the girls needed this to grow.

Bravo Mariko. Barvo.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I just know Old Dusted Crusted and Busted Logan is dancing on Gabby's grave rn

BANNED

I like that it starts to kinda-sorta roundaboutly address the fact that Laura has frankly been pretty crappy to her friends, but IMO it's still something that needs to be addressed much more on-point.

This is slightly off-topic, but I just realized how pointless the previous arc kind of felt. If you don't want your cyborg soldiers to have a healing factor - if you want them to be disposable assassins, then why bother cloning anyone at all? It just sounds like a complete waste of resources, not to mention it never seems to end well for people experimenting on Wolverine and or his family members.

Anyway, this issue is pretty good, but I can't help but feel the pathway to this issue could have been better. That and Laura's actions in this issue felt off. If her main goal is to stop people from cloning her, and she smells more clones, why didn't she go after them? You'd think she'd at least quickly check it out before evacuating.

This was a great issue. Love the inner conflict Tamaki has been building here. It feels like, after the last arc, Laura and Gabby are heading down different paths. And this issue just set the stage for a heartbreaking moment that we all know is coming. I think this series, while not on the same level as All-New Wolverine, has been solid. It has captured the drama and angst that often follows Laura and I hope it sets up another series down the line.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This was a great issue. Love the inner conflict Tamaki has been building here. It feels like, after the last arc, Laura and Gabby are heading down different paths. And this issue just set the stage for a heartbreaking moment that we all know is coming. I think this series, while not on the same level as All-New Wolverine, has been solid. It has captured the drama and angst that often follows Laura and I hope it sets up another series down the line.
    I think its Tamaki's strongest issue by far. I just wish they found a way to expedite the previous arc.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    This is slightly off-topic, but I just realized how pointless the previous arc kind of felt. If you don't want your cyborg soldiers to have a healing factor - if you want them to be disposable assassins, then why bother cloning anyone at all? It just sounds like a complete waste of resources, not to mention it never seems to end well for people experimenting on Wolverine and or his family members.

Anyway, this issue is pretty good, but I can't help but feel the pathway to this issue could have been better. That and Laura's actions in this issue felt off. If her main goal is to stop people from cloning her, and she smells more clones, why didn't she go after them? You'd think she'd at least quickly check it out before evacuating.
    Yeah, I think they've kind of played out the whole "Lets' recreate Weapon X" thing. I mean, you can argue that Laura was actually a success, and she STILL proves just how uncontrollable and impractical it is. It's getting ridiculous at this point that they haven't decided to just cut their losses on the program already.

Also, the situation between Laura and Gabby felt a little off, too. Gabby's behavior in this issue is a bit of a jump from where she was at the end of issue 10. While there's an indication that some time has passed and this is something that's developed in the interim after several missions, it's a bit of a jarring transition.