Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What Classic Story Arcs Could be Adapted as DC's Infinity War/Endgame?

Title sort of says it all. Coming off of Shazam's success, what could be DC's overarching plot/arc that would tie the larger cinematic universe together? Who would be the big bad that unites them all?

The obvious answers would probably be either:

1) a film saga based on COIE with Anti-Monitor as the main villain or
    2) something based on Final Crisis with Darkseid as the main villain

What about you guys?

Incredible Member

Invasion - Secret No More

Astonishing Member

Emerald Twilight= Green Lantern to Superman Vs Batman: DOJ were the reality where Hal cracked.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam are lead into Zero Hour with Hal as Parallax trying to fix things behind the scenes

OR

This is all-Infinite Crisis with the Earth-3 Lex trying to smoosh the movie universes together into a new Earth Prime. His presence explains why the "real" Lex in Dawn of Justice was acting out of character- can't have two versions of the same brain patterns in close proximity.

I'm honestly not sure that DC events allows for a cinematic universe like Marvel, and it's especially prevalent in it's huge events, which are extremely convoluted, while Infinity Gauntlet is a rather straightforward saga : Thanos is evil, wants the six Infinity Stones, snaps his fingers and kills half the Universe. Of course, it was tweaked and adapted to the movies, to make Thanos as far more compelling character for the general audience, but it remains the core of Infinity War, and Endgame will see all of the above reversed thanks to the hero's dedication.

Now, compare that with any of the big crisis, which all involves the Multiverse somehow. Or Hypertime. Or the Bleed. Or the Fourt World's mythology. That's already extremely hard to put in place in movies. Now, add to that the fact that neither Darkseid, Anti-Monitor or Mandrakk are easy to portray as anything but uni-dimensional evil CGI-monsters in the making, and you have another huge difficulty.

And worst of all, you have to have Superman in those movies, and WB and DC clearly don't know how to use him. If they did a repeat of JL, where he was apparently loved (why and how, I can't understand), then he'll undermine every other heroes present in the story. If he isn't presented as the perfect goody two shoes saving the day with a smile at all time, oither peoples will loudly lose it. It's a lose-lose situation.

Bottom line, I won't hold my breath wasiting for a DC event to happens on the big screen. They tried it with Justice League and failed abysmally. They should stop trying.

You could do a more condensed version of Final Crisis pretty easily. Build Darkseid similarly to Thanos, have him get the anti-life equation after however many movies then for the big crossover he takes over Earth. The remaining heroes not under his control fight back and save the world.

If you want to follow what Marvel did there's a pretty basic roadmap.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

DC needs to focus on their solo films, which for the most part have been enjoyable, successful, and solid.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    DC needs to focus on their solo films, which for the most part have been enjoyable, successful, and solid.
    Yeah, I’ve always felt crossover films to be too gimmicky. That’s why I was disappointed that the Superman sequel was going to be to have Batman in it.

Astonishing Member

I honestly don't think DC is ready for a film on the narrative scale of Infinity War/Endgame.

Hell, it took Marvel a decade to get to the point where they felt ready to tell that story. And that's without having to seriously 'course-correct' the way DC had to.

Had they continued with Snyder's plan...then who knows? Maybe it could have someday culminated in a MASSIVE film of the kind of scale we're talking about. But the way DC is refocusing their line now, I just don't think they're gonna be ready for this kind of film for a LONG time.

Crisis on Infinite Earths is an obvious suggestion in case they do attempt a film of this sort. But its being done in the Arrowverse TV shows, and frankly, that seems a more natural place for it. COIE works as a culmination of years of storytelling across franchises...something which the Arrowverse has and the DCEU frankly doesn't right now.

I'm all for a Flashpoint film, and I still hope that it ends up happening eventually. It would be a film with massive scale, albeit earth-bound.

I dunno...maybe a properly done version of Zero Hour could work. It would tie into the Green Lantern mythology, with Parallax being one of the main villains. And it might allow for exploring multiple earths/alternate timelines...bringing back other versions of characters and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You could do a more condensed version of Final Crisis pretty easily. Build Darkseid similarly to Thanos, have him get the anti-life equation after however many movies then for the big crossover he takes over Earth. The remaining heroes not under his control fight back and save the world.

If you want to follow what Marvel did there's a pretty basic roadmap.
    You could probably combine Final Crisis with Darkseid War and I think you'd probably have something equivalent to Infinity War.

They’re not ready for it. They need to figure out the status of all the other Leaguers like Flash, Batman, and Superman before they even consider doing another event. They could easily do a Legion of Doom vs. JL movie though.

Boisterously Confused

While it would have to be a Phase 2 conclusion, Tower of Babel might work, or it's animated adaptation, Doom. In some ways, it might work better as it's more grounded story wouldn't be as direct a copy of Infinity War/Endgame as some of DC's more reality-imperiling events.

Definitely Final Crisis. Darkseid wins and earth is literally being pulled into hell.

Incredible Member

How about that New 52 arc where Atlantis invades america ?

Aquaman was a very succesful movie. Then just add in a buncha Justic Leaguers and shazam reacting to a flooded america.

Astonishing Member

DC's crossover films - Batman vs Superman and Justice League - under-performed commercially, and were panned critically. And aren't they already rebooting Suicide Squad and Joker, whilst Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman will carry on with the established continuity? They're not really in a stable enough position to be thinking about massive crossovers. They'd be better off just treating each film series as its own entity for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Lee; 04-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’re not ready for it. They need to figure out the status of all the other Leaguers like Flash, Batman, and Superman before they even consider doing another event. They could easily do a Legion of Doom vs. JL movie though.
    Yeah, that would be something different and rewarding.