Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair, it makes sense for Earth Lanterns to be stationed on Earth.

I like comic book writers focusing on America cause if they tried to write anywhere else, they’re gonna screw it up.
    The only problem is , they never stay on earth. I’d be okay if jessica cruz stayed on earth, fighting earth villains.s.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I don’t care if there are 2, 5 or 100 earth lanterns.
    What i want is good characterization and great stories.
    Absolutely. Story is always #1. Everything else is secondary.

If i were in charge Kyle would be the last one.
    I don’t care about Simon and Jessica and I wouldn’t mind if they fade away but i’m not bothered if they stick around.
    What bother me is if older strong characters as Hal, John, Guy or Kyle are sidelined to make room for new ones, that’s unbearable to me.
    Ha! I hope you understand the irony of this, since the introduction of Kyle was what began the policy of sidelining older GL characters to make room for him

Prior to Kyle's introduction, whenever newer Earth GLs were introduced, it was an expansion of the franchise. Even after John became the main GL, Hal would still appear in every issue struggling with his decision to give up his ring while investigating the mystery of the Predator. Similarly, Guy's re-introduction as GL didn't mean that John or Hal stopped getting the spotlight. It wasn't until Kyle came around that all other GL characters had to be killed off, turned into villains, given new names or powers or otherwise shoved aside so that Kyle could be the one and only GL. This was ground zero for the fractured GL fandom we have today.

So, I don't think slamming the door shut on any new Earth GLs after Kyle would be a wise move. Like you said, good stories are always the path to keeping readers happy. Johns managed to do it with his run, and I suspect that Morrison might be able to do it with his, although probably not as much because his work is simply too experimental for most mainstream comics readers.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Absolutely. Story is always #1. Everything else is secondary.

Ha! I hope you understand the irony of this, since the introduction of Kyle was what began the policy of sidelining older GL characters to make room for him

Prior to Kyle's introduction, whenever newer Earth GLs were introduced, it was an expansion of the franchise. Even after John became the main GL, Hal would still appear in every issue struggling with his decision to give up his ring while investigating the mystery of the Predator. Similarly, Guy's re-introduction as GL didn't mean that John or Hal stopped getting the spotlight. It wasn't until Kyle came around that all other GL characters had to be killed off, turned into villains, given new names or powers or otherwise shoved aside so that Kyle could be the one and only GL. This was ground zero for the fractured GL fandom we have today.

So, I don't think slamming the door shut on any new Earth GLs after Kyle would be a wise move. Like you said, good stories are always the path to keeping readers happy. Johns managed to do it with his run, and I suspect that Morrison might be able to do it with his, although probably not as much because his work is simply too experimental for most mainstream comics readers.
    I’m with you on everything you’ve said and yes I’m aware of the irony of my affirmation
    90’s were a strange period for comic books and everything happened with Emerald Twilight was so shocking! But Ron Marz and editorial managed so well that even the loss of every previous characters were affordable.
    Once again great writers, great stories can have success even against bad premises.

I couldn’t feel the same with Baz or Jessica, I can’t find connection with them.

I’ve said I would stop with Kyle cause I don’t feel the need for other new GL, but I’m not closed to a new one if there is a good story to tell.
    I’m not keen to nowadays trend of writers who want to establish their own creation without having something strong to tell.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 04-11-2019 at 07:30 AM.

I’m with you on everything you’ve said and yes I’m aware of the irony of my affirmation
    90’s were a strange period for comic books and everything happened with Emerald Twilight was so shocking! But Ron Marz and editorial managed so well that even the loss of every previous characters were affordable.
    Once again great writers, great stories can have success even against bad premises.

I couldn’t feel the same with Baz or Jessica, I can’t find connection with them.
    On the other hand, I couldn't connect with Kyle (even though I was a freelance artist living in NYC), but he was the only option. The bad premise lead to one option for stories and since I didn't connect to him, I was left with zero GL stories for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I don't care to read any book starring Simon or Jessica. With Simon they attempted to give us some diversity by adding a muslim superhero (which I totally understand) yet they give him a gun and make him a car thief!! There's someone to look up to!! (rolls eyes while typing that!). As for Jessica, she's a traumatized woman, scared to leave her house, suffering from PTSD and agoraphobia, consistently shows fear and a lack of being a superhero, yet DC wants to push her as such a powerful hero! B.S.!! I would have a hard time believing she could summon enough power from the ring to light a cigarette, much less be the greatest superhero ever!! Watch the JLvsFF movie and see how she hands the FF their asses while they are able to easily defeat everyone else in the JL. Again... B.S.!! But hey... she is a great character for meeting PC agendas that are so in demand these days!
    What you describe was pretty much Jessica's first two years of a character arc. Her story was largely about overcoming her agoraphobia and learning to utilize her willpower. That's what made her an empowering figure for female readers.

Extraordinary Member

I feel that DC does have too many Earth Green Lanterns. The concept just does not feel unique any more.

I'd be game for more villainous Earth Lanterns.

Gimme a story where Luthor, Joker, Grodd, Doctor Sivana, Black Adam, & Ra's al Ghul temporarily get power rings.

That story should be fun.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

More & more I find myself really enjoying Pre-Crisis DC. No one felt left out. Everyone had room to shine, feel unique, and the alien GL's got their due.

So many problems seem solvable if they'd just bring back Green Lantern Corps. They crammed Hal, John, Guy, and Kyle (and the entire rest of the corps!) into Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps and I thought Veneditti did a masterful job of juggling the cast. Hal appearing in The Green Lantern and a few Lanterns appearing regularly in the various Justice League books means there's ample page time for the rest of the GL's in a Corps book.

I assume Teen Lantern will never appear again once Bendis is done with his Young Justice. Hell, she's barely appeared in the 4 issues he's released.

Much like the Bat-characters the issue is their not spreading them out far enough.

Hal needs to be in space, if he's such a big deal like they want us to treat him as then he's got no time for earth BS. He can still turn up in JL etc but treat it as a "Here comes the cavalry" kind of thing.

John is currently on the league, thats cool.

Have Kyle with the Titans (adult team)

Have Guy in either Hals book or another team book. Hell have a back up in Superman with Steel and Guy doing bro stuff

Baz and Jess continue in a team book.

DC Universe Online, the MMO, has been good on that front. As part of the War of the Light quests, there are bosses like Red Lantern Grodd, Orange Lantern Cheetah and a whole host of Sinestro Corpsman- Black Adam, Parasite, etc. It's a fun way to spice up the fights.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    On the other hand, I couldn't connect with Kyle (even though I was a freelance artist living in NYC), but he was the only option. The bad premise lead to one option for stories and since I didn't connect to him, I was left with zero GL stories for many years.
    I can understand how you felt and I’m sorry for you, partially it was the same for me.
    But then i’ve started to love Kyle. He grown-up in me thanks to good writers.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The concept of the Green Lantern Corps simply invites the creation of additional characters. If you're going to create additional Corps members, most the major ones are going to be Earthlings. As cool as aliens are, humans are more accessible characters. At this point, yeah there's quite a few Human Lanterns. But it's only an issue if they're stepping on each other's toes in a single book, and that's more of a core medium problem than anything specific to Lantern books. It's a big universe of titles out there. Hal, Kyle, Guy, John, Simon, and Jessica can all have a place if they're given one.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    What you describe was pretty much Jessica's first two years of a character arc. Her story was largely about overcoming her agoraphobia and learning to utilize her willpower. That's what made her an empowering figure for female readers.
    I'd like to think she's empowering for all readers, regardless of gender. Overcoming fear is a universal struggle and aspiration just as I would hope Hal et al are empowering for female readers as well as male readers.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'd like to think she's empowering for all readers, regardless of gender. Overcoming fear is a universal struggle and aspiration just as I would hope Hal et al are empowering for female readers as well as male readers.
    This is very true. I do think there's somethign to be said about an alienating factor in having few female leads, but you're right. Regardless of gender you can empathize with characters.

There aren't too many Lanterns, they are just handled poorly a lot of the time. They need clearer more distinguishable roles and we need to end the culture of propping up one or two Lanterns at a time at the expense of the others. The Lantern mythos is expansive and it touches every corner of the DC cosmic landscape, use that and find them roles that dont make them obsolete whenever a new Lantern is introduced or used instead.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-11-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."