Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I had a longer reply, but I had hernia surgery yesterday and I'm on pain killers. I'm afraid of rambling.
    Oof. Feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oof. Feel better!
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Is it though ? Milk Wars has afaik not been mentioned. Mother Panic never turns up to any gotham gatherings etc ?
    There's no reason for Milk Wars to be mentioned (aside from it not being a very good story). Mother Panic's in the same boat as Gaiman's Sandman. She can only be used when her creators give permission.

Nobody has mentioned the events of Morrison's The Green Lantern either, but that sure is set in the DCU.

The early Pre-Vertigo books generally operated this way. They were set in the DCU, but they didn't get referenced much, if at all, in the more mainstream books because it would confuse readers.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Is the alan scott in the current main dc universe in doomsday clock the same as the current earth 2's or a different one?
    They could be different.
    Alan scott
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(Earth-2)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=62177

Alan scott
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(07- Scott)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=97474
    Currently, we have no idea who, what, or where the New 52 Alan Scott is.

Yeah, but that was treated as a bad thing at that point in the Johns run.

I agree there's usually three or four main GL's at any given time and the GLC book is usually a team book when it's out because you've got Earth GL's and alien GL's, but I think we'll have to wait a few more years to see if Hal, John, and Jessica end up being a true main Trinity moving forward beyond the fact that they're the three most prominent GL's in the comics right now.
    I think you're getting hung up on this "trinity" idea. The point of my X-Men comparison was to point out that there are dozens and dozens of X-Men out there, but only a handful consistently get spotlight. The same is true of the GL characters. At this point, there are dozens of human and alien GLs, but the only ones getting any attention at the moment are Hal, John & Jessica. Back in the mid 2000s, it was Hal, Kyle, Guy & John (who got the short-shrift in the comics due to McDuffie's untimely passing). In the 1990s, it was pretty much only Kyle & Alan, with John & Guy reduced to supporting characters. In the '80s, Hal, John & Guy were the main GLs. Back in the 60s & '70s, it was just Hal & Alan.

In a few years time, the spotlight might change again, just as it does with the X-Men and corporate decision making way above the comics will see the franchise rise to prominence again. With X-Men, it was the Fox/Disney merger, with GL, it will be Warner Bros. greenlighting the long-gestating GLCorps movie and erasing the stain of the Ryan Reynolds flop.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Currently, we have no idea who, what, or where the New 52 Alan Scott is.
    Okay i see what's going on.
    There are two post-flashpoint/new52/rebirth alan scotts.

Earth 2 new52 alan scott last appearance was in May 2017 Earth 2: Society (2015) #22 - 'Life After Death'.

That alan scott is still on earth 2 with val-zod,fury etc...
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(Earth-2) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=62177

Prime earth alan scott first appearance is February 2019 Doomsday Clock (2018) #8.
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(07- Scott) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=97474

So earth 2 alan scott is not dead and i have not read doomsday clock 8 yet,so i don't think prime earth alan scott is dead.
    He made his first appearance in doomsday clock.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-14-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Some people say as long as the stories are good, they're fine, but the stories have not been good. Though, I understand that's a very subjective thing to say. I didn't think Green Lanterns was good at all (Robson Rocha turned in much better art on Supergirl, in my opinion, and the writing, no matter who was writing it, was always bad), and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was also bad, due in part to having too many characters crammed in one book and not really doing all that much with any of them. I think the most notable things to happen to any of the characters were, weirdly Soranik Natu and Tomar-Tu's heel turns. Maybe a good writer could have made that situation work. Robert Venditti isn't a good writer.
    I agree with this 100%

Ultimate Member

I think you're getting hung up on this "trinity" idea. The point of my X-Men comparison was to point out that there are dozens and dozens of X-Men out there, but only a handful consistently get spotlight. The same is true of the GL characters. At this point, there are dozens of human and alien GLs, but the only ones getting any attention at the moment are Hal, John & Jessica. Back in the mid 2000s, it was Hal, Kyle, Guy & John (who got the short-shrift in the comics due to McDuffie's untimely passing). In the 1990s, it was pretty much only Kyle & Alan, with John & Guy reduced to supporting characters. In the '80s, Hal, John & Guy were the main GLs. Back in the 60s & '70s, it was just Hal & Alan.

In a few years time, the spotlight might change again, just as it does with the X-Men and corporate decision making way above the comics will see the franchise rise to prominence again. With X-Men, it was the Fox/Disney merger, with GL, it will be Warner Bros. greenlighting the long-gestating GLCorps movie and erasing the stain of the Ryan Reynolds flop.
    Guy had his own book and was sometimes annoying Justice League team of Lobo.

John was doing nothing once Hal went nuts and got crippled.

The one difference between X-Men and GL is no X-title was used as a weapon to crap on the others.
    There was effort to showcase as many as you could be it ongoing or mini.
    You saw Rogue, Storm, Beast, Gambit, Bishop, Nightcrawler, Jubliee, Mystique, Emma and so on get something.
    You saw the likes of Maggot, Chamber and so on get spotlight issues.
    Emma, Cable, Logan & Cyclops did not hold the franchise hostage. What they did did not derail other books.

Unlike here. Where it's about one guy and how it's his world and everybody should be happy to be in it. Despite folks screaming they are TIRED of it.
    THus unlike X-Men where yo have plenty of females (including a few of color not named Storm) with development.
    Although both franchises seem to have issues with black males now. At least here they don't get killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Guy had his own book and was sometimes annoying Justice League team of Lobo.

John was doing nothing once Hal went nuts and got crippled.

The one difference between X-Men and GL is no X-title was used as a weapon to crap on the others.
    There was effort to showcase as many as you could be it ongoing or mini.
    You saw Rogue, Storm, Beast, Gambit, Bishop, Nightcrawler, Jubliee, Mystique, Emma and so on get something.
    You saw the likes of Maggot, Chamber and so on get spotlight issues.
    Emma, Cable, Logan & Cyclops did not hold the franchise hostage. What they did did not derail other books.

Unlike here. Where it's about one guy and how it's his world and everybody should be happy to be in it. Despite folks screaming they are TIRED of it.
    THus unlike X-Men where yo have plenty of females (including a few of color not named Storm) with development.
    Although both franchises seem to have issues with black males now. At least here they don't get killed off.
    That was absolutely true in the past, particularly during the 90s when DC was sticking to its guns that Kyle had to be the one and only GL, so Alan had to be renamed, and Hal, John & Guy were each pointlessly warped into something else entirely so their titles were soon cancelled and they became glorified supporting characters for far too many years.

These days? Not so much. Any GL is on the table for any creator to use and new GL characters (both alien and human) are popping up all the time. GL doesn't have as large a fanbase as X-Men, so the franchise can support far few comics, but their situation is pretty much the same in terms of both franchises being overflowing with good characters, but there's only enough space to showcase a few.

That was absolutely true in the past, particularly during the 90s when DC was sticking to its guns that Kyle had to be the one and only GL, so Alan had to be renamed, and Hal, John & Guy were each pointlessly warped into something else entirely so their titles were soon cancelled and they became glorified supporting characters for far too many years.

These days? Not so much. Any GL is on the table for any creator to use and new GL characters (both alien and human) are popping up all the time. GL doesn't have as large a fanbase as X-Men, so the franchise can support far few comics, but their situation is pretty much the same in terms of both franchises being overflowing with good characters, but there's only enough space to showcase a few.
    They may as well just make a GL team book with all the characters they have available...which is basically what the GLC is, but they don't seem in a rush to relaunch that.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

After Kyle it feels excessive. I also think to establish new characters you have to have to give them truly memorable stories, and while I haven't read enough to be totally sure, I don't think Simon or Jessica have featured prominently in any "classic" or milestone stories.

Fantastic Member

They may as well just make a GL team book with all the characters they have available...which is basically what the GLC is, but they don't seem in a rush to relaunch that.
    I do feel a Green Lanterns Sector 2814 book is coming in future with just Earth Lanterns

I support this idea, if they take all the Earth Lanterns and put them on one team and operate that way for a while. That seems to be the best way to showcase them all without any of them getting shafted. However, I don't think they should make it a GLC relaunch, it should center around just the Earth Lanterns and make them their own team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    After Kyle it feels excessive. I also think to establish new characters you have to have to give them truly memorable stories, and while I haven't read enough to be totally sure, I don't think Simon or Jessica have featured prominently in any "classic" or milestone stories.
    To be fair tho, most of the time when they do anything major at DC they usually go with their older characters first. They dont have the same "push" model as Marvel, which is why (imo) DC seems to have a harder time getting their newer characters to stick than DC as of late. However, Green Lanterns was a great showcase for Simon and Jess (until it's garbage fire of a finale). I feel, even though they've left Simon in limbo, if anything Guy and Kyle have exhausted their tenure as Lanterns and would be better served if they stayed members of other corps (Kyle as white or blue and Guy back to red) or just retired all together. They feel the most unnecessary right now with the least story potential as Green Lanterns.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I think giving Morrison some time to set the table is a good idea, but the GLCorps is due for title

They aren't too many Earth Lanterns, The Green lantern franchise has not full embraced that it is franchise by DC and some fans.The biggest problem to me is that haven't figured out how to bring out spectrums into fold of galactic defense then you would have a wider variety things to do with similar heroes BUT in world where there is Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Batwoman, Batgirl, Huntress , Spoiler, Orphan, Robin, Red Robin, Signal, Azrael, Batwing,etc people are trying to say couple Galactic police from one place is to much?

If I was the boss I would folded Blue, Indigo,Violet, Green together as "The Lantern corps", Folded Orange, Yellow, Red together as an opposition force. Multiple Lanterns from Earth could end up being different colors and different colors would have different jobs in the space police. For example Green Lanterns would end up being Special Forces/Special Agent ,Blue would end up being more support based almost like Combat Medics, etc. The Lantern franchise would lean on spectrum conflict ala Shield/Hydra or GiJoe /Cobra for easy source of stories but you can still tell the different type of space crime stories in different sectors. IMO People don't blink eye if John is a Indigo Lantern, Jessica is a Violet Lantern, Kyle is a Blue Lantern and they are treated as big time heroes for those branches. You make Green Lantern corps "special" again by making certain members the James Bond/Jason Bourne of space police and multiple earth lanterns can be made different things so they are unique.

To me people who have problem with too many earth lanterns don't understand that concept has long since been watered down and less won't make it feel special again. The best way to handle it is specialization and take it from someone who was in the military. Being in the military in a uniform there is no way to tell difference in what you do so civillians walk up to all the time and thank you for your service which is cool but you can't tell if the person is desk job or combat job. And even in the combat jobs there is a difference special forces and grunts. Best way to fix their problem with Green Lantern is to create the understanding that most people in the military/police understand. There is difference between normal beat cop and swat cop,There is a difference between a normal sailor and Navy seal. There should be a difference Jessica Cruz,Simon Baz, Kyle Rayner and John Stewart, Hal Jordan. I wouldn't mind if they are two different type of Green Lantern rings one they give to the "normal cops" and one they give to "special forces".