Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Just a little FYI-Bob Harris who is currently the big dog in charge of DC editorial was in charge when Hal went NUTS and Kyle showed up.
    So if Bob Harris hated Hal-I DOUBT we would see him in any book.
    Under Bob-John, Kyle & Guy all had SOLO books under his first watch. Something they CAN'T get now. Same with Jessica & Simon. Only Hal can have a solo run.
    The president and EIC at the time was Jenette Kahn. Bob Harras didn't become the editor in chief until well after Kahn left. She held that position between '89 and 2002, during that time Hal Jordan suddenly got old for no reason and then became a bad guy. After she left in 2002, less than 2 years later he was back. Clearly different people were running things at that point. So unless I'm missing something or getting my timeline wrong, Bob Harras had nothing to do with the Emerald Twilight fiasco.

I have to imagine all the GL's get cosplayed at some point...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You'll have to explain what chronic disenfranchisement means. Sorry

Plain English-a variety of ways to JUSTIFY NOT allowing or doing something with a set of people-mainly POC.

1 A studio does NOT want to do a black lead movie because CHINA doesn't care for them. So that means they can't make a profit.
    2 A studio does NOT want to do a big budget movie with blacks as the lead because AUDIENCES won't support it.
    3 A toy company does NOT want to do a toy line because the tv show in question stars a black male.
    4 A studio does not want to do a movie because the lead character has to be a WHITE MALE.
    5 An actor declines an ICON role because certain folks don't want that ICON to be played by a BLACK MALE (it went to a white female "DOCTOR" later on).
    6 A black tv show with ratings get renewed LAST MINUTE because low rated white shows had to get renewed first.
    7 A publisher does not want to do a book with a black lead because the black lead does something blacks are not STEREOTYPED as doing.
    8 A publisher HIDES the fact the lead in a book is a BLACK MALE because certain book chains won't sell it.
    9 A editor told a writer straight that he did not know of ANY black writers when the writer suggest a black writer for a book. Mind you 3 FAMOUS black writers were already working there.
    10 There is a reason you see a lack of black female lead comics. Not so much the publishers but comic book stores.

These are examples of chronic disenfranchisement.

It really boils down to EXCUSES that pander.

Take number 4-that was Static Shock. He couldn't get toys to fund season 5 because no one wanted to sell a black lead toy line. NEVER MIND Steel & Blade having toys. Years later Black Panther proved how PROFITABLE toys are.
    Take number 8-A lot of the books you read HIDE the fact a lead is a POC. Rivers of London (not the comic version) is about a black male. Couldn't tell by the original USA covers.
    Take number 7-a LOT of black folks had to deal with that. Mario Van Peebles pitched a movie about a black family. He got told DUMP them in the hood and we will do it. He refused. Tyler Perry had to deal with it too. As did McDuffie with Static Shock.
    Take number 10-how do YOU work for Marvel and say you don't know of any black writers? When Reginald Hudlin, Kevin Grevioux & DWAYNE MCDUFFIE were WORKING on books.

To bring it back to Green Lantern-if the only guys you are taking pitches from worship Hal be it solo, mini or event-don't be shocked when the other fans get mad.
    Who do you keep going for these pitches? Where are you looking?
    This is where fans start asking why do I KEEP seeing the same set of writers on books all the time. Especially those who STINK.

When do you start thinking outside the box?
    Look at Ironheart-Eve Ewing doing the book started off as a JOKE. I have heard NOTHING but praise for it. Even comicgators are praising her. Let that sink in.

Maybe Dc needs to do that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have to imagine all the GL's get cosplayed at some point...

In all reality it's rare to see any Green Lantern cosplay around my city.

Of the few times-I have seen John more than any of the others.

I see way more Marvel cosplay than DC (outside of Harley, Ivy, Joker, Lex Luthor & Wonder Woman).

Especially Miles, Gwen, Peter, Jessica Jones, Cage & way too many homemade War Machines.

In all reality it's rare to see any Green Lantern cosplay around my city.

Of the few times-I have seen John more than any of the others.

I see way more Marvel cosplay than DC (outside of Harley, Ivy, Joker, Lex Luthor & Wonder Woman).

Especially Miles, Gwen, Peter, Jessica Jones, Cage & way too many homemade War Machines.
    I saw a lot of DC cosplay at a convention I was at.

Don't recall exactly if I saw any GL's, but I know I saw a Sinestro.

Although just googling Green Lantern cosplay shows a lot of different Lanterns. Even Alan .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Which is why I pointed out that whoever is seen as the star of the franchise depends solely on who's in charge. People like Jenette Khan, Denny O'Neil or Kevin Dooley were not exactly big Hal Jordan fans.
    Sure but that was decades ago. Since Green Lantern: Rebirth Hal has been the star of the franchise, no question. Green Lantern finally became one of DC's main franchises (second only to Batman IIRC) with Hal as the star under the Johns I doubt that'll change anytime soon, even if the franchise is much smaller now (and Morrison's run will cement this, if he carries on doing what he's doing it'll go down as one of the most well known and well liked GL runs).

DC has been pushing Jessica Cruz but she's currently stuck in a Justice League book. I think Christopher Priest said he'd write a solo about her which would be interesting. (him returning to Green Lantern after a thirty year break would be a record, right?)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Plain English-a variety of ways to JUSTIFY NOT allowing or doing something with a set of people-mainly POC.

1 A studio does NOT want to do a black lead movie because CHINA doesn't care for them. So that means they can't make a profit.
    2 A studio does NOT want to do a big budget movie with blacks as the lead because AUDIENCES won't support it.
    3 A toy company does NOT want to do a toy line because the tv show in question stars a black male.
    4 A studio does not want to do a movie because the lead character has to be a WHITE MALE.
    5 An actor declines an ICON role because certain folks don't want that ICON to be played by a BLACK MALE (it went to a white female "DOCTOR" later on).
    6 A black tv show with ratings get renewed LAST MINUTE because low rated white shows had to get renewed first.
    7 A publisher does not want to do a book with a black lead because the black lead does something blacks are not STEREOTYPED as doing.
    8 A publisher HIDES the fact the lead in a book is a BLACK MALE because certain book chains won't sell it.
    9 A editor told a writer straight that he did not know of ANY black writers when the writer suggest a black writer for a book. Mind you 3 FAMOUS black writers were already working there.
    10 There is a reason you see a lack of black female lead comics. Not so much the publishers but comic book stores.

These are examples of chronic disenfranchisement.

It really boils down to EXCUSES that pander.

Take number 4-that was Static Shock. He couldn't get toys to fund season 5 because no one wanted to sell a black lead toy line. NEVER MIND Steel & Blade having toys. Years later Black Panther proved how PROFITABLE toys are.
    Take number 8-A lot of the books you read HIDE the fact a lead is a POC. Rivers of London (not the comic version) is about a black male. Couldn't tell by the original USA covers.
    Take number 7-a LOT of black folks had to deal with that. Mario Van Peebles pitched a movie about a black family. He got told DUMP them in the hood and we will do it. He refused. Tyler Perry had to deal with it too. As did McDuffie with Static Shock.
    Take number 10-how do YOU work for Marvel and say you don't know of any black writers? When Reginald Hudlin, Kevin Grevioux & DWAYNE MCDUFFIE were WORKING on books.

To bring it back to Green Lantern-if the only guys you are taking pitches from worship Hal be it solo, mini or event-don't be shocked when the other fans get mad.
    Who do you keep going for these pitches? Where are you looking?
    This is where fans start asking why do I KEEP seeing the same set of writers on books all the time. Especially those who STINK.

When do you start thinking outside the box?
    Look at Ironheart-Eve Ewing doing the book started off as a JOKE. I have heard NOTHING but praise for it. Even comicgators are praising her. Let that sink in.

Maybe Dc needs to do that.
    I think DC is planning on scaling back the number of comics they publish because they think they and Marvel are flooding the market with too many comics.

That said, the vast majority of the comics with GL they are publishing are about POC right now.

So, does GL really have a problem with diversity right now?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Sure but that was decades ago. Since Green Lantern: Rebirth Hal has been the star of the franchise, no question. Green Lantern finally became one of DC's main franchises (second only to Batman IIRC) with Hal as the star under the Johns I doubt that'll change anytime soon, even if the franchise is much smaller now (and Morrison's run will cement this, if he carries on doing what he's doing it'll go down as one of the most well known and well liked GL runs).

DC has been pushing Jessica Cruz but she's currently stuck in a Justice League book. I think Christopher Priest said he'd write a solo about her which would be interesting. (him returning to Green Lantern after a thirty year break would be a record, right?)
    Oooo, I would love to see a Priest written Jessica Cruz comic. His Action Comics Weekly GL stuff is interesting, warts and all.

Jessica is "stuck" in a Justice League book? So much for the League being a prestigious assembly....

Oooo, I would love to see a Priest written Jessica Cruz comic. His Action Comics Weekly GL stuff is interesting, warts and all.
    I'd rather not. I don't think Priest wrote a very good Jessica during his stint on Justice League.

I think that with a franchise like Green Lantern, with a lot of different main characters using the mantle over the years, we all come into the franchise in different ways and get attached to different characters, from people who love the whole big mythology and seeing all the characters bring different stuff to the table, to those who're only interested in certain aspects. I mean, I'm newer to the franchise and could care less about Hal Jordan and the like, but really like Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz, to the extent that when they go, I'm done with it all.

The skeptic in me who witnessed the hatred Comicsgaters had for Ironheart pre-Ewing (and for minority characters in general) leads me to believe that Ewing's getting a pass because it's now "safe"; a white man is no longer being shafted for the sake of a black girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd rather not. I don't think Priest wrote a very good Jessica during his stint on Justice League.
    Is this something that's being seriously considered to happen or just what Priest has said he'd like to do, if given the opportunity? (I'd give it a chance if it came out, seeing as I love the character and all.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think DC is planning on scaling back the number of comics they publish because they think they and Marvel are flooding the market with too many comics.
    Ironically, that was their plan when they moved to the direct market and discovered there was more competition there. And more shelf space.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is this something that's being seriously considered to happen or just what Priest has said he'd like to do, if given the opportunity? (I'd give it a chance if it came out, seeing as I love the character and all.)
    No, it's just something he said he'd like to do a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not at all man, there's not many legacy characters that have been treated as being more replaceable than Hal Jordan. A franchise hostage holder would not be treated the way Hal has been on many different occasions. If they thought so little of him to turn him into a bad guy in order to prop someone else, then they tell us themselves that the alleged grip he has on the franchise is not nearly as firm as some would tend to believe. Whoever the proverbial main GL is depends only on who's in charge and we have many examples of people in charge not caring about the Hal Jordan character whatsoever. Whoever comes in after Didio, especially if it's someone younger who was introduced to DC in the 90s or early 2000s would likely not care about the character either.
    Ah, I see what you mean there. That makes sense.

Where can all the various Earth GLs be seen these days?

Alan is surprisingly key to Doomsday Clock.

Hal's in The Green Lantern.

John's in Justice League.

Jess's in Odyssey.

Teen Lantern is in Young Justice.

NYPD Blue is in Far Sector.

The new kid is in DC Ink.

Any news on where Kyle, Guy & Simon might show up next?