Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

To be fair tho, most of the time when they do anything major at DC they usually go with their older characters first. They dont have the same "push" model as Marvel, which is why (imo) DC seems to have a harder time getting their newer characters to stick than DC as of late. However, Green Lanterns was a great showcase for Simon and Jess (until it's garbage fire of a finale). I feel, even though they've left Simon in limbo, if anything Guy and Kyle have exhausted their tenure as Lanterns and would be better served if they stayed members of other corps (Kyle as white or blue and Guy back to red) or just retired all together. They feel the most unnecessary right now with the least story potential as Green Lanterns.
    That's a bit unfair for the fans of the characters y
    How would you feel if DC did that to John Stewart,you will be angry,I say let them all have titles or be put on a team book if the bat books can do it then green Lanterns can as well

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They aren't too many Earth Lanterns, The Green lantern franchise has not full embraced that it is franchise by DC and some fans.The biggest problem to me is that haven't figured out how to bring out spectrums into fold of galactic defense then you would have a wider variety things to do with similar heroes BUT in world where there is Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Batwoman, Batgirl, Huntress , Spoiler, Orphan, Robin, Red Robin, Signal, Azrael, Batwing,etc people are trying to say couple Galactic police from one place is to much?

If I was the boss I would folded Blue, Indigo,Violet, Green together as "The Lantern corps", Folded Orange, Yellow, Red together as an opposition force. Multiple Lanterns from Earth could end up being different colors and different colors would have different jobs in the space police. For example Green Lanterns would end up being Special Forces/Special Agent ,Blue would end up being more support based almost like Combat Medics, etc. The Lantern franchise would lean on spectrum conflict ala Shield/Hydra or GiJoe /Cobra for easy source of stories but you can still tell the different type of space crime stories in different sectors. IMO People don't blink eye if John is a Indigo Lantern, Jessica is a Violet Lantern, Kyle is a Blue Lantern and they are treated as big time heroes for those branches. You make Green Lantern corps "special" again by making certain members the James Bond/Jason Bourne of space police and multiple earth lanterns can be made different things so they are unique.

To me people who have problem with too many earth lanterns don't understand that concept has long since been watered down and less won't make it feel special again. The best way to handle it is specialization and take it from someone who was in the military. Being in the military in a uniform there is no way to tell difference in what you do so civillians walk up to all the time and thank you for your service which is cool but you can't tell if the person is desk job or combat job. And even in the combat jobs there is a difference special forces and grunts. Best way to fix their problem with Green Lantern is to create the understanding that most people in the military/police understand. There is difference between normal beat cop and swat cop,There is a difference between a normal sailor and Navy seal. There should be a difference Jessica Cruz,Simon Baz, Kyle Rayner and John Stewart, Hal Jordan. I wouldn't mind if they are two different type of Green Lantern rings one they give to the "normal cops" and one they give to "special forces".
    Exactly. The Lantern Corps is the law enforcement of the Universe. Lots of different notes to play

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    To be fair tho, most of the time when they do anything major at DC they usually go with their older characters first. They dont have the same "push" model as Marvel, which is why (imo) DC seems to have a harder time getting their newer characters to stick than DC as of late. However, Green Lanterns was a great showcase for Simon and Jess (until it's garbage fire of a finale). I feel, even though they've left Simon in limbo, if anything Guy and Kyle have exhausted their tenure as Lanterns and would be better served if they stayed members of other corps (Kyle as white or blue and Guy back to red) or just retired all together. They feel the most unnecessary right now with the least story potential as Green Lanterns.
    I disagree with the bolded. Every Lantern, every character still has story potential with DC and a writer willing and able to utilize them. I'm sure some people could've and probably have said the same about John (before Snyder started John in JL and introducing the UV Corps) and that certainly isn't right to say either. Morrison is going in a fresh direction for Hal. I'm not caught up on JLO, but Jess is certainly being utilized there.

On a side note, Kyle certainly had story potential what with his time beyond the Source Wall, but only Abnett seemed to use it for his Mother Blood arc and that wasn't really great (or needed imo), since Kyle had been in The Bleed before anyway; she could've just used that knowledge. That was certainly something someone could've utilized.

To me people who have problem with too many earth lanterns don't understand that concept has long since been watered down and less won't make it feel special again. The best way to handle it is specialization and take it from someone who was in the military. Being in the military in a uniform there is no way to tell difference in what you do so civillians walk up to all the time and thank you for your service which is cool but you can't tell if the person is desk job or combat job. And even in the combat jobs there is a difference special forces and grunts. Best way to fix their problem with Green Lantern is to create the understanding that most people in the military/police understand. There is difference between normal beat cop and swat cop,There is a difference between a normal sailor and Navy seal. There should be a difference Jessica Cruz,Simon Baz, Kyle Rayner and John Stewart, Hal Jordan. I wouldn't mind if they are two different type of Green Lantern rings one they give to the "normal cops" and one they give to "special forces".
    The Honor Guard always confused me because it didn't really seem different or special aside from GLs not being bound to their home sector.

Incredible Member

You're right, so let's kill off or retire every human GL, save for Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. New characters, new stories.

BANNED

I don't see how characters like Baz and Cruz have more story potential than Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner, because Baz and Cruz don't really have much going on with them. No notable villains, no notable supporting characters, no notable relationships besides the one they have with each other, and I don't even feel like even that is worth a lot. Aside from Simon's religion, and Jessica's mental disorder, there isn't a whole lot to those characters, in my opinion. I suppose Volthoom is the most interesting villain Jessica has a connection to, but I don't think that's good, because Volthoom has only been majorly featured in extremely poor stories, in my opinion.

Guy and Kyle have a lot more history that a writer could exploit if they wanted to. For example, Guy has his sometimes relationship with Ice, and his connection to the rest of JLI that could be further explored and built upon. He also has a dynamic with the rest of the Lanterns that I find a lot more interesting.

Kyle has never been back to his roots being a Green Lantern on Earth since Rebirth began. If you got the right writer, I'm sure they could tell interesting stories with him.

When it comes to writing, I've found that--if you know your history--it's actually quite a bit easier to build upon what is already there than it is to create totally new stuff. There are a lot of things that a knowledgeable writer could exploit, like John's history with Grayven (who broke his back) and his old Darkstar girlfriend Merayn Dethalis. There's a lot of interesting story potential there, but most people who write this stuff aren't all that knowledgeable about its history.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't see how characters like Baz and Cruz have more story potential than Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner, because Baz and Cruz don't really have much going on with them. No notable villains, no notable supporting characters, no notable relationships besides the one they have with each other, and I don't even feel like even that is worth a lot. Aside from Simon's religion, and Jessica's mental disorder, there isn't a whole lot to those characters, in my opinion. I suppose Volthoom is the most interesting villain Jessica has a connection to, but I don't think that's good, because Volthoom has only been majorly featured in extremely poor stories, in my opinion.

Guy and Kyle have a lot more history that a writer could exploit if they wanted to. For example, Guy has his sometimes relationship with Ice, and his connection to the rest of JLI that could be further explored and built upon. He also has a dynamic with the rest of the Lanterns that I find a lot more interesting.

Kyle has never been back to his roots being a Green Lantern on Earth since Rebirth began. If you got the right writer, I'm sure they could tell interesting stories with him.

When it comes to writing, I've found that--if you know your history--it's actually quite a bit easier to build upon what is already there than it is to create totally new stuff. There are a lot of things that a knowledgeable writer could exploit, like John's history with Grayven (who broke his back) and his old Darkstar girlfriend Merayn Dethalis. There's a lot of interesting story potential there, but most people who write this stuff aren't all that knowledgeable about its history.
    I agree with you, fully. Theres a lot more to tell with and rich backstories etc etc.

But a few pages back you said something to the effect of:

"Every explanation for why there are Multiple Green lanterns on JUST EARTH, feel lack luster, and shoe-horned in."

I think thats the real issue here I could accept any number of changes if they could just decide on a consistent answer of "Why are there so many green lanterns on earth"

After the superboy prime debacle it should be simple. I've done huge right up on its before. We have so many GL's on earth, because the LAST KRYPTONIAN is on earth. The guardians can see
    a lot of future stuff. What happens with sups and his off spring.... clones... alternate versions..... whatever... its a big deal to make sure it stays on earth.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member

All the characters you've mentioned started out as "blank slates", and had writers, over a period of decades, flesh out those characters. My point is that those stories have been told already. Time to do the same with Simon and Jessica. Let the past go. Move on to a new era.

I think its less that there are too many earth lanterns, the issue is DC can't seem to give them an equal push. Which is also the problem with how DC treats legacies in general as well as minority characters.

So often you have a lot of choices but DC tends to fall back on a limited few.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’m fine with more then one earth Green Lantern because I always found the idea that one Lantern could patrol a whole sector of space alone to be silly. Even beat cops tend to have partners.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I do feel a Green Lanterns Sector 2814 book is coming in future with just Earth Lanterns
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I support this idea, if they take all the Earth Lanterns and put them on one team and operate that way for a while. That seems to be the best way to showcase them all without any of them getting shafted. However, I don't think they should make it a GLC relaunch, it should center around just the Earth Lanterns and make them their own team.
    It's basically what Hal N' Pals was, more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think giving Morrison some time to set the table is a good idea, but the GLCorps is due for title
    I dunno, is Morrison changing things up enough to where it would have a major impact on a GLC title?
    They aren't too many Earth Lanterns, The Green lantern franchise has not full embraced that it is franchise by DC and some fans.The biggest problem to me is that haven't figured out how to bring out spectrums into fold of galactic defense then you would have a wider variety things to do with similar heroes BUT in world where there is Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Batwoman, Batgirl, Huntress , Spoiler, Orphan, Robin, Red Robin, Signal, Azrael, Batwing,etc people are trying to say couple Galactic police from one place is to much?
    I don't think the franchise is healthy enough to support itself as a franchise, at least compared to when Johns was on the title.
    Simon has his family and Jessica has her sister as far as supporting cast members go, which is more then Kyle's had in a really long time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    All the characters you've mentioned started out as "blank slates", and had writers, over a period of decades, flesh out those characters. My point is that those stories have been told already. Time to do the same with Simon and Jessica. Let the past go. Move on to a new era.
    Well, I have an interesting proposition. Why don't they just let go of Simon and Jessica, since their stories have been told, and just focus on "Jo", Teen Lantern, and maybe the Vietnamese boy. At the rate things are going now, Simon and Jessica are old hat, so if totally fresh characters is what we're looking for, they should be thrown in the trash, too.

Guy and Kyle have a lot more history that a writer could exploit if they wanted to.
    Aside from Hal, I don't think any of the Lanterns really havê a memorable villain or suporting cast, not enough to justify placing they ahead of Jessica. I mean, that is a reason why John's rival on the Justice League right now is Sinestro, the same reason why Martian Manhunter is having Luthor as his rival. They don't havê any villain who can come of as Justice League level, só they havê to use characters rogue.

But I'm all for characters like Jessica, John and Simon getting some development.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 04-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    What new era??? That has been the million dollar issue with DC. They refuse to move on. They run right back to the past at the expense of the new folks.

See Jason Rusch. Ronnie's creator got rid of him and Johns poured on the dirt for Jason's coffin.
    Steel had a 52 issue run and has not down anything the last 18 years including Natasha.

Cassandra Cain PROVED Batgirl could sell and her reward-"pitch toxic" along with Stephanie.
    Do we even need to discuss Wally West?

John Stewart had everything taken from him along with Kyle & lesser point Guy.
    Where is Dr Fate's nephew at?

I don't think the franchise is healthy enough to support itself as a franchise, at least compared to when Johns was on the title.
    Despite evidence that other extend GL books can sell WITHOUT Hal-Dc only cares about Hal. THAT IS THE ISSUE. Jessica/Simon's book sold. So did GLC. And DC can make up all the EXCUSES that they want about "sales" on those books. They all did better or equal the last Hal book. And sold better on Amazon.

This franchise like Flash is held hostage by ONE guy. Unless you houseclean management this franchise can't grow.

There are plenty of former ids the others can get.

DC gave Jessica and Simon their own bi-monthly title and had them both in the League at the same time, but they only care about Hal. lol When you look at his entire history, he must be the worst "franchise hostage holder" I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    DC gave Jessica and Simon their own bi-monthly title and had them both in the League at the same time, but they only care about Hal. lol When you look at his entire history, he must be the worst "franchise hostage holder" I've ever seen.
    lol this is sarcasm, right?