Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Darkseid War is another example, yes. Jessica is the Lantern Du Jour but the second a big event comes along she gets sidelined relative to Hal, who even gets his own special one shot! Admittedly a very good one, but a pattern is a pattern is a pattern. I don't get why you're using preference as a justification. Yes. I know. They prefer Hal and they will disenfranchise the rest of the lanterns for him when they see fit to prop him up. That is just how it is. It is like this with Hal and four other very obvious characters. Turns out they all have one thing in common, too.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Jessica wasn't even a Green Lantern at the time and she was in TDS where she finally got her ring. Hal wasn't in Forever Evil, he's not in HiC, he probably won't be part of whatever event Snyder plans to do next either. I don't need to "justify" anything, I'm correcting your claim that other characters have been sidelined for Hal "anytime an event would happen" when it was just one event(Metal).

Spectacular Member

DC sees Hal as the star of the franchise and the other Lanterns as supporting characters, that's inarguable. Dan Didio has talked about this before, how he sees the Silver Age versions of Flash, Green Lantern and Batgirl as being *the* versions. So to DC editorial making Hal the centre of a Green Lantern event over the rest is about as normal as Batman being the main focus of The Court of Owls.

I understand DC's logic as all franchises do have a central character and I'm enjoying the current book but they should still try to showcase other Lanterns. A second book about the Corps is needed right now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Jessica wasn't even a Green Lantern at the time and she was in TDS where she finally got her ring. Hal wasn't in Forever Evil, he's not in HiC, he probably won't be part of whatever event Snyder plans to do next either. I don't need to "justify" anything, I'm correcting your claim that other characters have been sidelined for Hal "anytime an event would happen" when it was just one event(Metal).
    Saying "Jessica wasn't even a Green Lantern" is maybe the biggest nitpick I've ever seen.

Forever Evil was a villain event. There wasn't anyone TO sideline. The only hero who was present was Batman (which is a bit obvious). I literally pointed out Hal getting advertisement in the 1st (and thus most widely seen) issue. Even when the writer has no intention of using him or any lantern in the story he is still present for anyone who buys the comic. You're not correcting anything. Hal Jordan only came back for Darkseid War, Metal, and made an appearance in HiC #1 where no other lantern did in the backups! That's only every event since Jessica joined the comic except, I guess, Suicide Squad vs JL. The least eventy event ever, but I guess it counts.

There is a clear, stated, and effected preference to Hal in multiple different ways. That's the truth of it. If that's what you want, good for you, but it doesn't really address anything.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    DC sees Hal as the star of the franchise and the other Lanterns as supporting characters, that's inarguable. Dan Didio has talked about this before, how he sees the Silver Age versions of Flash, Green Lantern and Batgirl as being *the* versions. So to DC editorial making Hal the centre of a Green Lantern event over the rest is about as normal as Batman being the main focus of The Court of Owls.
    Which is why I pointed out that whoever is seen as the star of the franchise depends solely on who's in charge. People like Jenette Khan, Denny O'Neil or Kevin Dooley were not exactly big Hal Jordan fans.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    I understand DC's logic as all franchises do have a central character and I'm enjoying the current book but they should still try to showcase other Lanterns. A second book about the Corps is needed right now.
    It absolutely is, I just hope they see the series is actually able to sustain two monthly books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Saying "Jessica wasn't even a Green Lantern" is maybe the biggest nitpick I've ever seen.

Forever Evil was a villain event. There wasn't anyone TO sideline. The only hero who was present was Batman (which is a bit obvious). I literally pointed out Hal getting advertisement in the 1st (and thus most widely seen) issue. Even when the writer has no intention of using him or any lantern in the story he is still present for anyone who buys the comic. You're not correcting anything. Hal Jordan only came back for Darkseid War, Metal, and made an appearance in HiC #1 where no other lantern did in the backups! That's only every event since Jessica joined the comic except, I guess, Suicide Squad vs JL. The least eventy event ever, but I guess it counts.

There is a clear, stated, and effected preference to Hal in multiple different ways. That's the truth of it. If that's what you want, good for you, but it doesn't really address anything.
    You literally said that others would be kicked out anytime an event story would happen, now you go with "but Forever Evil was a villain event". FE had all the New-52 JL members present in the story no matter in what capacity, except for Hal Jordan. The point stands about Jessica, she was not only not kicked out, she became an actual GL in TDS and right after that she co-starred in her own book.

Not sure why you keep bringing up TGL being advertised during HiC, it was the first time Morrison was back to writing monthly comics in years, why would they not use the opportunity to advertise it in a big event.

In the end of the day you can choose to believe whatever you like and I never stated that the current DC management does not favor Hal Jordan in anyway, just try not to talk about "truths" and then move the goal post whenever it suits you.

Astonishing Member

What are you even talking about? There was no lantern in Forever Evil for Hal Jordan to replace. You can't kick someone out who does not exist. Hal left the JL beforehand and was replaced by no one despite there being 4 other GLs who COULD HAVE -- that's actually even worse. Even with a vacancy available no other GL got the limelight. You could have Kyle or John or Guy or Simon, someone without a beef with Diana, replace him but nope. At least when Hal showed up to overshadow Simon and/or Jess for the high visibility event they were in the comic at all beforehand.

Jessica joined the JL title at the end of Forever Evil as Power Ring. The very next event, Darkseid War, had Hal suddenly come back to take back the limelight despite never hashing out the issues of why he left in the first place.

I don't know what TDS is. Those initials do not describe any event I'm familiar with from this timeframe. I assume you mean Darkseid War but I have no idea why you call it TDS.

I bring it up because it is symptomatic of what I'm talking about. If you think it's entirely, and only, because of Morrison then so be it. It is the truth that even in a Lantern free event comic, Hal Jordan showed up in force in the first issue. I can call a spade a spade even if you will strangle yourself trying to justify or undermine a very, very obvious trend. I did not move goalposts. I stated clearly what I was talking about and it's still true. You moved my goalposts for me by, for some reason, bringing up a comic event from before Jessica existed, affecting a comic that did not include Simon, when I'm talking about Hal replacing Jessica and Simon. Whose goalposts were those?
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That was a Venditti thing and it was a terrible idea. I honestly can only remember a couple other times in the '80s where Hal was referred to as "The Greatest Green Lantern".
    I wouldn't even blame it on Venditti. It was mostly just in solicits.

He was referred to as "The Greatest Green Lantern" a few times during the Johns run but it wasn't meant at the expense of the other Lanterns and it was clear Hal didn't view himself that way.

The last time it was used made perfect sense as well, considering who said it and their position.
    Darkseid War is another example, yes. Jessica is the Lantern Du Jour but the second a big event comes along she gets sidelined relative to Hal, who even gets his own special one shot! Admittedly a very good one, but a pattern is a pattern is a pattern. I don't get why you're using preference as a justification. Yes. I know. They prefer Hal and they will disenfranchise the rest of the lanterns for him when they see fit to prop him up. That is just how it is. It is like this with Hal and four other very obvious characters. Turns out they all have one thing in common, too.
    I don't know if I'd say she was sidelined. She had her own storyline and sub-plot going on in Darkseid War that got it's own issue of major focus that ultimately led to her becoming a GL. She didn't suddenly become an insignificant character.

What are you even talking about? There was no lantern in Forever Evil for Hal Jordan to replace. You can't kick someone out who does not exist. Hal left the JL beforehand and was replaced by no one despite there being 4 other GLs who COULD HAVE -- that's actually even worse. Even with a vacancy available no other GL got the limelight. You could have Kyle or John or Guy or Simon, someone without a beef with Diana, replace him but nope. At least when Hal showed up to overshadow Simon and/or Jess for the high visibility event they were in the comic at all beforehand.

Jessica joined the JL title at the end of Forever Evil as Power Ring. The very next event, Darkseid War, had Hal suddenly come back to take back the limelight despite never hashing out the issues of why he left in the first place.

I don't know what TDS is. Those initials do not describe any event I'm familiar with from this timeframe. I assume you mean Darkseid War but I have no idea why you call it TDS.

I bring it up because it is symptomatic of what I'm talking about. If you think it's entirely, and only, because of Morrison then so be it. It is the truth that even in a Lantern free event comic, Hal Jordan showed up in force in the first issue. I can call a spade a spade even if you will strangle yourself trying to justify or undermine a very, very obvious trend. I did not move goalposts. I stated clearly what I was talking about and it's still true. You moved my goalposts for me by, for some reason, bringing up a comic event from before Jessica existed, affecting a comic that did not include Simon, when I'm talking about Hal replacing Jessica and Simon. Whose goalposts were those?
    You claimed he took the limelight away from other characters anytime an event would happen when it was literally one single event. All I did was point that out. Then for some reason you decide to bring up a preview that DC put in HiC to promote the monthly return of a prominent creator, which they would've done had he chosen to write a Plastic Man book as well, making a moot point that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, especially given the character is not featured in any way in HiC. The last event story Hal Jordan played a starring role in was Blackest Night for obvious reasons. Since the New-52 started we've had:

Throne of Atlantis
    Trinity War
    Forever Evil
    Convergence
    The Darkseid War/TDW(please don't kill me for my previous typo)
    Rebirth(the special)
    Metal
    Doomsday Clock
    Heroes in Crisis

Of the nine aforementioned events, Jordan has had bigger roles in two, made a cameo appearance in one, and had a tie-in issue in another that wasn't even the "real" Hal but the Zero Hour version. This is the character who always takes the limelight away from others because of one event in Metal, which I agreed wasn't right? Whatever. I don't plan to contribute further to another thread being turned into a "Hal the franchise hostage holder" fest
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-15-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    To be fair tho, most of the time when they do anything major at DC they usually go with their older characters first. They dont have the same "push" model as Marvel, which is why (imo) DC seems to have a harder time getting their newer characters to stick than DC as of late. However, Green Lanterns was a great showcase for Simon and Jess (until it's garbage fire of a finale). I feel, even though they've left Simon in limbo, if anything Guy and Kyle have exhausted their tenure as Lanterns and would be better served if they stayed members of other corps (Kyle as white or blue and Guy back to red) or just retired all together. They feel the most unnecessary right now with the least story potential as Green Lanterns.
    I get that, and I definitely feel like Kyle and Guy have roles within the GL Universe that don't necessarily place them in the corps or on Earth. It's definitely true the older characters get bigger pushes for events, but the opportunity was there to introduce them during something like Blackest Night. A lot of then-new characters are tied to a memorable run or story, not so with those two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I'm glad we are in agreement. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner and John Stewart should definitely be gone/retired, with Kyle Rayner as the elder statesman guiding Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz as present-day GLs, with other future GLs coming on board for consideration (maybe, in the form of a academy setting?).
    We are not in agreement at all. I proposed throwing Simon and Jessica in the trash to focus on the new Lanterns.

To tell you the truth, I would actually rather have these three new characters than Simon and Jessica.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    You claimed he took the limelight away from other characters anytime an event would happen when it was literally one single event. All I did was point that out. Then for some reason you decide to bring up a preview that DC put in HiC to promote the monthly return of a prominent creator, which they would've done had he chosen to write a Plastic Man book as well, making a moot point that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, especially given the character is not featured in any way in HiC. The last event story Hal Jordan played a starring role in was Blackest Night for obvious reasons. Since the New-52 started we've had:

Throne of Atlantis
    Trinity War
    Forever Evil
    Convergence
    The Darkseid War/TDW(please don't kill me for my previous typo)
    Rebirth(the special)
    Metal
    Doomsday Clock
    Heroes in Crisis

Of the nine aforementioned events, Jordan has had bigger roles in two, made a cameo appearance in one, and had a tie-in issue in another that wasn't even the "real" Hal but the Zero Hour version. This is the character who always takes the limelight away from others because of one event in Metal, which I agreed wasn't right? Whatever. I don't plan to contribute further to another thread being turned into a "Hal the franchise hostage holder" fest
    Convergence had like 1000x the Hal Jordan in it, too, if you want to bring that up as relevant.

The Rebirth special was not an event. It did not have any tie ins, no multi issue special, and again it had nothing to do with the JL members besides Barry and Bruce. I'm talking about things that affect the JL, the impetus of your absurd nitpicking.

In Darkseid War and Metal it both happened. In prior history it's happened constantly since GL Rebirth, though that is not specific to Simon and Jess who were the specific topic this time. It shouldn't have happened at all.

You also seem to mistake no GL appearing as a plus for characters who aren't in it and I do not understand this logic or reasoning.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-15-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

You come on. It shouldn't have happened at all. They literally offscreened current members of the JL so they could bring Hal back because he's the important one. It's stupid **** like that that makes newer characters fumble and fail whenever they get a push. The biggest comic you put out that you are advertising and selling to the most people and, woops, suddenly these new minority characters are no shows and Hal Jordan is back! Go figure.

Hell, Hal Jordan got his new HAL JORDAN ONLY comic as a backup preview to HIC. These are conscious decisions.
    Yes, they are conscious creative decisions made by Scott Snyder who wanted to use Hal in one story, and then John for another.

This is not a conspiracy. I'm sorry, it just isn't.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is here. You are upset that some creators and readers prefer Hal over other GLs? Would you rather diversity is the primary reason for the choice of GL, despite sales showing that more readers will buy a comic with Hal?

A lot of us would like DC to cap the number of human GLs to protect their favorites. Which is understandable, due to the downsides - less opportunity for the older and supporting GLs - Simon, Guy, John, Kyle, - and the increased chance of *all* of them being shelved whenever DC decides to rethink their line.

But that die is already cast. New creators will be allowed to shake things up, create their own characters and try new things - just as prior generations were allowed to. And unless your favorite GL is Alan Scott, your favorite GL came about due to that kind of expansion.