Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Just as a side-note, without commenting on the rights and wrongs of this specific discussion in detail (though it certainly feels to me like Cain’s in the near-luminal / superluminal ballpark), something being board consensus doesn’t mean it’s not discussable. Gambit was, until recently, generally considered to be a bullet-timer. He isn’t anymore, because... debate.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Just as a side-note, without commenting on the rights and wrongs of this specific discussion in detail (though it certainly feels to me like Cain’s in the near-luminal / superluminal ballpark), something being board consensus doesn’t mean it’s not discussable. Gambit was, until recently, generally considered to be a bullet-timer. He isn’t anymore, because... debate.
    Of course, I was just mentioning it as a bonus point. TDK also evidently thought I typed that it took Cainman seconds as opposed to small fractions of seconds for these actions.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    It wasn't a second or two, it was a FRAME or two. As in somewhere between 1/30th and 1/12th of a second. Please read what I wrote before commenting, maybe.
    Ok. So have a link or something of the feat? Is the camera on him the whole time maybe? If it's switching between people or not on him at all, that's probably at least a second

I mean, you are arguing against something that is and has been board consensus for at least 10 years before you got here. Dean Cain Superman is FTL, based on feats. Not massively FTL, but there. He also, like all Supermen, forgets that he's that fast about every other week, but you know, what can you do?
    Yes and other things that were "board consensus" before were stuff like Thanos being FTL (lol, like how does one even arrive there?!) Usually other "board consensus" stuff like Cassandra Cain being a bullet timer is fairly easy to prove both because of the multiplicity of feats and their clear cut nature

Is that not the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Eh, FTL travel speed on a planet is GENERALLY a pretty good reflex feat itself, if he's doing that without crashing into buildings and mountains and such. Like, just circling the globe in the upper atmosphere wouldn't be, but if he's flying into specific cities he's got to be operating with high end reflexes.

I haven't seen the scene so I won't comment on whether it is FTL or not, but it definitely isn't the same as zipping between planets.
    I ask because something similar happened in the comics and it was pointed out here that you don't need to be FTL to achieve that

And also because from what I've seen, the hokey '90s rom com with a suspect special effects budget doesn't seem likely to have been brimming with genuinely consistent FTL feats or even the fairly frequent Smallville bullet time/ blur scenes.

Ultimate Member

Maybe not as fast as the superheroes but the True Blood vampires were very fast.

I remember some of them covering very large distances in seconds.

Ultimate Member

Smallville Clark is definitely up there.

I'd rank it like this:

1. Fox Quicksilver - I'm not saying that he's the fastest, but he's the ONLY one on the list who flat-out never forgets his speed and damn he knows how to use it with style.
    2. Lois & Clark Superman - He forgot about it sometimes, but he's the fastest guy on the list.
    3. Smallville Flash - He's a fair bit faster than Smallville Clark, and just about never forgets his speed.
    4. Smallville Clark - Incredibly fast, and uses it a lot, but still PISses all over himself regularly.
    5. CW Savitar maybe? Way faster than Barry & Co and never forgets it.

and down at the bottom of the list as the very worst speedsters in live action...

Every CW hero with speed, Barry being the worst.
    Yeah, this is legit.

CW Flash is just....weird. He gets hit by things and people that just shouldn’t.

He’s basically living in a sea of PIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, this is legit.

CW Flash is just....weird. He gets hit by things and people that just shouldn’t.

He’s basically living in a sea of PIS.
    Like Bear Grylls he drinks is own PIS.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Like Bear Grylls he drinks is own PIS.
    When the story leaves you stranded in the desert, PIS just might be the only thing that saves you....at least for a while.

It wasn't a second or two, it was a FRAME or two. As in somewhere between 1/30th and 1/12th of a second. Please read what I wrote before commenting, maybe.

I mean, you are arguing against something that is and has been board consensus for at least 10 years before you got here. Dean Cain Superman is FTL, based on feats. Not massively FTL, but there. He also, like all Supermen, forgets that he's that fast about every other week, but you know, what can you do?
    Dean Cain Superman might be FTL, but this takeout feat is garbage because it also requires the cashier and the restaurant staff to operate at FTL speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Dean Cain Superman might be FTL, but this takeout feat is garbage because it also requires the cashier and the restaurant staff to operate at FTL speeds.
    I mean generally speaking, when I order Chinese food it's at my door before I've even placed the call.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    He's actually just incredibly irresponsible with time travel.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I ask because something similar happened in the comics and it was pointed out here that you don't need to be FTL to achieve that

And also because from what I've seen, the hokey '90s rom com with a suspect special effects budget doesn't seem likely to have been brimming with genuinely consistent FTL feats or even the fairly frequent Smallville bullet time/ blur scenes.
    I wouldn't really say you need to be FTL to do the thing that's being noted either, though I suppose a clip of the scene should be given at this point, or linked to, or something, so people can eyeball it. Certainly it's a high end speed feat? But it doesn't really scream faster than light.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 04-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.

I'm probably overlooking some people but I would say in no particular order:

The X-Men version of Quicksilver.
    Smallville Clark.
    The Dean Cain Superman.
    CW Flash and, as mentioned by others, all other speedsters from the show ahead of him.
    Brandon Routh Superman
    Smallville Flash

By feats, Dean Cain Superman might be the top of the list. Smallville Flash and then Smallville Clark might be next based on feats. Maybe next X-Men Quickslilver. He has "Everybody else is a statue" speed but we only see it in a local area as opposed Cain's Superman doing things like Sharp mentioned.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    While she isn't going to be in the top ranks by any stretch of the imagination, I still really like what I remember of Morrigan from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Probably because Kevin Sorbo's subsequent works makes it a lot more palatable to see a relatively waifish girl just beat the tar out of him at super speed.

On a similar tier, I loved the speed feats in Kung Fu Hustle, and was very disappointed that Dragon Ball Evolution didn't have any of the charm and special effects that KFH did, even though Stephen Chow was apparently a Producer for DBE.
    Yeah the way it was filmed and their relative speeds was what made the Morrigan stuff so awesome.
    Power with Girl is better.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.