Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 120
  1. #46
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Dean Cain Superman might be FTL, but this takeout feat is garbage because it also requires the cashier and the restaurant staff to operate at FTL speeds.
    I suspect it's more he just leaves the money, makes the takeout order himself and leaves.
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

  2. #47
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,000

    Default

    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  3. #48
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Ok. So have a link or something of the feat? Is the camera on him the whole time maybe? If it's switching between people or not on him at all, that's probably at least a second
    The cam is on him 100% of the time. Lois is in the foreground, Clark is standing behind her, she starts saying her list, and every time she says something there's a WOOOOSH and he's standing there with the stuff. She doesn't even realize that he's doing it. It's nowhere close to a second. It's literally a frame or two. I've been looking for the scene and I can't find it.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;"
    - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."

    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics."
    -Captain Morgan

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I suspect it's more he just leaves the money, makes the takeout order himself and leaves.
    You talk like Superman is above stealing people's takeout.

  5. #50
    Death of Time Cronus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    361

    Default

    My personal favorite...

    "I know you're in there Banner; I'll get you out"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Would you give a guy a foot massage?"

  6. #51
    BANNED The Dork Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    4,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    The cam is on him 100% of the time. Lois is in the foreground, Clark is standing behind her, she starts saying her list, and every time she says something there's a WOOOOSH and he's standing there with the stuff. She doesn't even realize that he's doing it. It's nowhere close to a second. It's literally a frame or two. I've been looking for the scene and I can't find it.
    So the objects just appear in his hand as the camera is fixed on him? Although technically even that is not explicit proof of FTL reflexes that would at least make a strong case for the writers wanting to show absurd speed

    Anything else, while fast, does not really hint at FTL reflexes fast.

    I suppose the better question would be, anything else in the show indicate such speed or is it one off SMvFL?

  7. #52
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Well just being a rare display wouldn't make it SvsFL unless he had an established limitation in that area. Anyway, finding good clips from Lois and Clark is pretty hard to do, but speaking from my memory of the show, he definitely used a pretty high level superspeed a fair amount in ways that required him to have the reflexes to keep up with what he was doing because it was frequently for trivial things like wallpapering a house. Not FTL, but absolutely backing up that he's a solid speedster beyond simply travel speed, and these things he does are always incredibly trivial for him, frequently played as this just being how Clark organizes his life. So overall, while I can't think of any other feats in the range of the one being discussed, the series definitely lends itself more to Clark having as much speed as he needs to have than it does to any suggestion of a limit below zipping around the globe for takeout.

    As for FTL, I dunno that the feat being discussed requires THAT, but it'd have to be in like, the high tenths of C at least.

    Edit: Rather, what I'm saying above is that the frequency of Clark just using super speed to do day-to-day stuff is enough that any time he's not using it to solve the actual problems of an episode comes off as pretty standard speedster PIS.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  8. #53
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,501

    Default

    So overall, while I can't think of any other feats in the range of the one being discussed, the series definitely lends itself more to Clark having as much speed as he needs to have than it does to any suggestion of a limit below zipping around the globe for takeout.
    The idea that just because he has nothing approaching even close to a thing he only did once, but that's fine because "he has as much speed as he needs to do something" is not a good line of reasoning. That show went for several years and all.

  9. #54
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Yeah, but it's in a funny place where the series isn't doing anything to suggest he CAN'T do that either, which is a component of SvsFL. When I say he has as much super speed as he needs, what I mean is that it was generally played as either he did something trivially with super speed or just completely forgot he had super speed. I can't recall a single instance of him trying to super speed something and not being fast enough. So I think that makes an argument for SvsFL questionable.

    There's nothing happening to establish a limitation below that feat.

    Edit: Looked at the SvsFL rule and I guess the text of it can swing against me here too, so YMMV
    Last edited by BitVyper; 04-13-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  10. #55
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Anyway, I'm running purely on memory here, as Lois and Clark isn't a series where I can just pop on youtube and go "top 10 lois and clark speedblitzes" so I'm not gonna argue about it if everyone disagrees. It's bugging me a bit because I'm pretty sure I remember it occasionally being brought up in-series that Clark could do things in line with that feat, but I'm not gonna go try and track down the episodes, so I can't really back that up
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  11. #56
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Yeah, but it's in a funny place where the series isn't doing anything to suggest he CAN'T do that either, which is a component of SvsFL. When I say he has as much super speed as he needs, what I mean is that it was generally played as either he did something trivially with super speed or just completely forgot he had super speed. I can't recall a single instance of him trying to super speed something and not being fast enough. So I think that makes an argument for SvsFL questionable.

    There's nothing happening to establish a limitation below that feat.
    No, that basically means you're making a no limits argument.

  12. #57
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    No, that basically means you're making a no limits argument.
    Well no. The feat IS there. it's just not widely backed up by a ton of other feats, but there's nothing taking it down either.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

  13. #58
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Well no. The feat IS there. it's just not widely backed up by a ton of other feats, but there's nothing taking it down either.
    Let me ask you another way. So what limits do you feel there are then on Cain Superman's speed? Remember:

    these things he does are always incredibly trivial for him, frequently played as this just being how Clark organizes his life. So overall, while I can't think of any other feats in the range of the one being discussed, the series definitely lends itself more to Clark having as much speed as he needs to have than it does to any suggestion of a limit below zipping around the globe for takeout.

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member Pendaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,501

    Default

    Your argument is straight up that he has as much speed as he needs to have.

  15. #60
    Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    I feel that the feat being discussed is setting the upper limit for his speed. I feel the rest of the series well establishes his superspeed to the extent that any time he's not instantly solving his problems with superspeed of the "trivially wallpaper an entire house" level, there's obvious PIS going on. I think this is a problem for SvsFL arguments against the feat being discussed, because the vast majority of problems that could be solved by superspeed in the series could be solved by the better established level.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

    Forever
    Wherever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •