Here's the idea: Take a collection of DC heroes you like and explain where you would place their high points in terms of how much you enjoyed them and their lowest point, not necessarily because you hated it, but because it was the least interesting to you. All this will be completely subjective, so please keep that in mind. Someone's high point may be your low for the exact same character, and that's perfectly okay.

Another caveat is that your low point should be from a point that you were actually reading the book. You may have dropped it at that point, but you actually read enough of it to know that you didn't like it. For instance, I've heard only bad things about Venditti's Flash run, but since I never read it, I won't include it in my list. Sound good?

Okay, here we go...

SUPERMAN

High: For me, it has to be Morrison & Quitely's All Star Superman. I know this story gets a ridiculous amount of praise to the point of overkill, but I think it's well earned. There has never been a story that so perfectly encapsulated everything I love about this character. There are other Superman stories I love, but none of them come together as well as this one.

Low: JMS's aborted Grounded run in which Superman walks across America with PTSD and destroyed evidence of illegal environmental pollution Lois had found in order to protect the economy of a small town. JMS missed the mark so badly on who Superman is with this story, I still shake my head at what he was thinking.

BATMAN

High: While I think the later attempts to ape these two stories were disastrous for my interest in the character, I cannot deny that the one-two punch of Dark Knight Returns and Year One are still the high water mark for me when it comes to Batman. I think Year One is, by far, the better of the two, but they compliment each other extremely well. Honorable mention should go to Grant Morrison's run on the character because I loved how he embraced all the goofy and silly aspects that DC had been trying to make people forget for decades.

Low: I can't think of anything worse that Bill Willingham's inexplicably dumb idea to reveal Leslie Thompson murdered Stephanie Brown to teach Batman a lesson about the dangers of using underage sidekicks. The fact that this story was swiftly swept under the carpet and never mentioned again is a testament to how ill-conceived it was.

WONDER WOMAN

High: George Perez is still the reigning champ of Wonder Woman runs, even though that is some pretty slim pickings. Despite my issues with his tossing away of the Diana/Steve romance in favor of making WW a perpetual virgin and making her a rookie within the DCU, the work Perez did on this character in his first couple years is absolutely breathtaking from a visual standpoint, and has a surprising degree of depth in the story. His handling of the Olympian Gods, her villains, and supporting cast is really excellent and only Rucka's first run comes close to matching it.

Low: The period after Marston's death when Wonder Woman was stripped of all her kinky weirdness and politics to be turned into another bland 1950s romance comic has got to be the worst period for me. There's nothing interesting left about the character here. She's just a cool costume and some outdated ideas.

The FLASH (Barry Allen)

High: The original Silver Age stuff from the late 50s and early 60s is unsurpassed in terms of sheer inventiveness and fun. All of the Rogues, the crazy new ways to use his speed, Elongated Man, his friendship with Hal, his romance with Iris. This is the foundation upon which all subsequent Flash runs were built upon. And Infantino's art remains some of the best the superhero medium has ever seen.

Low: The period right before Barry's death is rightfully maligned. It's just a misery-fest that even late-era Infantino art can't save. The character just felt like he was running on empty here. I completely understand why DC felt it was the best move to kill him off and replace him with Wally.

The FLASH (Wally West)

High: I think the Waid/Ringo period is when the character had really started firing on all cylinders after many years of creators struggling to figure out who Wally as The Flash could be. The collaboration between Waid & Ringo was clearly something special and it drove both creators to new heights. This era also saw the first real expansion of the Flash mythos since the Silver Age, with the introduction of the Speed Force, Max Mercury, Impulse, Jesse Quick, and XS. It's not a stretch to say that the vast majority of the affection that many fans feel for Wally West can be traced back to this run.

Low: I'll wait until Heroes in Crisis is finished before passing judgement on whatever is going on there, but at least it has had some genuinely beautiful moments with Wally grieving over the loss of his family. I cannot say the same for Abnett's Titans, which completely squandered all the potential that Johns had created when he brought Wally back in Rebirth and proceeded to tell the blandest, least interesting stories with Wally I have ever read.

GREEN LANTERN (Hal Jordan)

High: I have a nostalgic soft spot for Englehart & Staton's run from the 80s, but Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis's work on the character is just so damned great that it blows everything else out of the water. The ridiculous number of new and old ideas and concepts being created or reconceptualized here is staggering. If I had to pin down the highest point of their run, it would probably be Sinestro Corps War, although Blackest Night has fared much better upon re-reading without all the unnecessary and repetitive tie-ins dragging the story down.

Low: The only time I have ever stopped reading GL was during Venditti's run, so that says a lot, but I have to admit that the final couple years of Gerard Jones run on Hal was just plain boring and I was too young and stupid to just stop reading it. In retrospect, DC's decision to $#!+can Hal, like they did with Barry in the 80s, seems a lot more understandable. There have been plenty of bad Hal stories, but none of them can compete with how dull those Hal comics from the mid-90s were.

GREEN LANTERN (John Stewart)

High: Ironically enough, while Gerard Jones was boring me to tears with Hal, he was working wonders with John over in Mosaic at the exact same time. A lot of this feels a tad pretentious now, but the way that Jones reinvented John from yet another Angry Black Man stereotype into a thoughtful, philosophical and methodical superhero charged with keeping the peace in a multispecies community created from dozens of kidnapped alien and Earth cities is still amazing. It's a shame that the more recent revelations about Jones mean that this series will never be given its proper due. This is the blueprint to how to make a John Stewart comic work for today. Unfortunately, it was several years ahead of its time.

Low: Nothing can beat Judd Winnick's single Flashback issue with John in which he shamelessly rips off the finale of MASH in order to explain why John Stewart is still stuck in a wheelchair. It's so corny, ham-fisted, and unnecessary, I can't believe this ever got published, but, on the bright side, no comic has ever mentioned it again, so I guess I wasn't the only one who thought this was an embarrassment to everyone involved.

GREEN LANTERN (Guy Gardner)

High: While I adore what Tomasi & Gleason did with Guy in GLCorps, I still think Guy has never been better than the later period JLI when Lobo hits Guy on the head and restores his earlier macho douche personality. This was when Giffen & DeMatties stopped treating Guy as a simple punchline and started peeling back the layers to reveal that there was more to this outwardly buffoonish character than met the eye. This was also when his relationship with Ice started and further melted away the rough edges on Guy to make him a more well-rounded character.

Low: I think Beau Smith was on to something in trying to move Guy away from being an overtly comedic character by rebranding him Warrior, but he swung the pendulum too far in the other direction and left the character being little more than a cheap Wolverine knockoff. Once Mitch Byrd left on art, the book was completely unreadable to me.

GREEN LANTERN (Kyle Rayner)

High: I don't think the character has ever topped his first couple years under Ron Marz & Darryl Banks, who really did pull off creating a Peter Parker for the DCU. While the fridging of Alex will forever be a problem for me, I can't deny that there is an energy to these comics that had been missing from GL during the end of Jones run. It's unfortunate that the character has struggled to find a new role once he outgrew the new kid on the block role that fit him so well, but that doesn't lessen how much fun those early stories are.

Low: I don't think anyone would disagree that Ben Raab's run was just plain dull. Like with Barry and Hal before him, it's little wonder that DC decided to change things up radically after this particularly boring period of GL stories.