Default Elrond vs. Thranduil

Which one of these two Elven kings wins in a battle?

Elrond

vs.

Thranduil

Fight One: Movie Versions
    Fight Two: Book Versions
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Which one of these two Elven kings wins in a battle?

Elrond

vs.

Thranduil

Fight One: Movie Versions
    Fight Two: Book Versions
    Movie version Elrond seemed higher tier he managed to hang with against the necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Movie version Elrond seemed higher tier he managed to hang with against the necromancer
    How does that compare to Thranduil who fought and cut down multiple Orcs? Would it matter that Thran has 2 blades?

And your thoughts on the book versions fighting one another, if any?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    How does that compare to Thranduil who fought and cut down multiple Orcs? Would it matter that Thran has 2 blades?

And your thoughts on the book versions fighting one another, if any?
    I mean, the only issue with that is that the only way a named, non-Hobbit character in LOTRverse doesn't cut down multiple orcs like a combine harvester through a wheat field is if they are crippled and suffering a stroke at the same time.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

We don’t really have put and out combat feats for either in the books. Presentation-wise and with the very few feats we do have, Elrond takes the win.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Does Thranduil get his fabulous battle moose?

Elrond caused the flood didn't he? Then again Thranduil had his own magic fires going at his place of power

I'm curious how the Wood Elves/ being more dangerous in combat thing works vs the Noldor general superiority. I suppose by feats the Noldor are better? But Tolkien does make a point of noting the Sindar were more vicious? Or was that the Dark Elves?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Elrond caused the flood didn't he? Then again Thranduil had his own magic fires going at his place of power
    Elrond did, but I'm *wiggles hand* about that being useful in the arena. It was something he kind of needed to do on a short notice (Gandalf helped, but wasn't the maker of the flood) but did because it was in his place of power (and there's the Ring as well to talk about). Hence, 'combat feats'.

I'm curious how the Wood Elves/ being more dangerous in combat thing works vs the Noldor general superiority. I suppose by feats the Noldor are better? But Tolkien does make a point of noting the Sindar were more vicious? Or was that the Dark Elves?
    When you're talking about the Mirkwood elves, you're talking about the Nandor/Silvan, who weren't Sindarin (it's complicated...Sindar were kind of Nandor, but more on that below). Thranduil was Sindar, Legolas was Sindar, but the vast majority of the elven people of Mirkwood/Greenwood were Silvan.

I'm uncertain about how they might be 'more dangerous'. I think it's more that they would fight guerilla style. Noldor would have been superior physically (and the Sindarin likely superior as well), have better equipment, likely better training, etc. It's more likely that they would simply feather people from the darkness of the woods, rather than walk out wearing godawfully strong armor and split people in half with a big, quasi-magical sword. ^_^

Also, Tolkien might have been speaking about them being 'more dangerous' not because they were actually more deadly in a fight, but because they were simply more apt to deal harshly with intruders, whereas someone wandering unannounced into Rivendell wouldn't be met by an arrow in the face. ^_^

'Dark elves', in Tolkien's work, normally refers to Eldar that didn't actually make it to Aman and see the two trees. This kind-of/sort-of includes the Sindar, but because the Sindar were ruled by Thingol and Melian, and were influenced by them, they stand higher than the other 'dark elves' (the Sindar are actually Nandor, in a way, but became different enough thanks to Thingol and Melian that they're considered something special) - hence them being the 'grey' elves.

...it's actually all far more complicated than the above -- I'm ridiculously and almost painfully simplifying -- and worth reading up on. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate