Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Whatever this is, there is a good chance that I am not going to buy it. I am tired of Marvel's gimmick's and it doesn't help that that have been coming out so quickly. I just hope this doesn't affect any books I am buying.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Well, we all know you'll be first in line to buy every Marvel book this year but the rest of us have to be more discerning with our purchases. Comics aren't cheap, not anymore, every dollar spent on event books and one-shot tie-ins is a dollar not available to spend on regular comics.
    That's the point. It's called flooding the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This is Marvel chasing short-term sales boosts at the expense of a sustainable comics industry and it can't go on like this forever, eventually Marvel's self-destructive business model will catchup with them.
    Or...their self-destructive business model catches up with everyone but them. They are owned by Disney and eventually the Mouse will want to just license out the characters, to the very same companies that are holding on for dear life due to the flood the zone strategy.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure Disney is trying to destroy Marvel's comic competition, I think they're just taking advantage of the fact that they can afford to push out a ton of comics and write off certain losses.

Acts of Evil you say? I wish they would let "events" breath a little. Even if not completely connected to Marvel at large. I'm intrigued because I loved Acts of Vengeance and this seems to riff on that. Having Nightmare as the main villain is interesting. I do hope Stevil is used along with Zemo. Even better if a new Thunderbolts came out of this. We'll see soon enough I guess.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Not up for endless events .... but I wonder if this Associate Editors Month or something? You know, "We're turning the Bullpen over to the Associates! Let the EVIL begin!"
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

to the people pre-complaining about this, are you equally opposed to the upcoming symbiote event? because the latter bothers me a lot more. there is nothing more obnoxious to me than all of the characters basically becoming the same character (it's venom-captain America, venom-wolverine, etc) or having to face a bunch of the same thing (demons, skrulls, symbiotes, etc). all this Acts of Evil thing seems like is a showcase of villains we don't normally see. it seems harmless.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    to the people pre-complaining about this, are you equally opposed to the upcoming symbiote event? because the latter bothers me a lot more. there is nothing more obnoxious to me than all of the characters basically becoming the same character (it's venom-captain America, venom-wolverine, etc) or having to face a bunch of the same thing (demons, skrulls, symbiotes, etc). all this Acts of Evil thing seems like is a showcase of villains we don't normally see. it seems harmless.
    Yep. I don't buy anything Venom or Carnage related.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I won't buy anything symbiote related. I completely ignored the original X-Men crossover with Venom.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I won't buy anything symbiote related. I completely ignored the original X-Men crossover with Venom.
    You’re missing out on the best comic on the stands right now. Venom is unbelievably good, and I can’t believe I’m even saying that.

Extraordinary Member

I'm excited to see some obscure villains! Especially Nightmare given all the **** these characters have been through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    You’re missing out on the best comic on the stands right now. Venom is unbelievably good, and I can’t believe I’m even saying that.
    It really is good. I know a lot of people don't like Eddy and Venom being treated as an actual couple, but they work. Cates makes them work!

Hmm. What issue of Venom would you say is the best? I'm willing to try one issue to see if I'll like this, so pick the issue you think would really hook a new reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Not up for endless events .... but I wonder if this Associate Editors Month or something? You know, "We're turning the Bullpen over to the Associates! Let the EVIL begin!"
    Now another Assistant Editors Month is an event I could go for.

Generally most 'events' leave me unimpressed and skipping them. Nightmare might be a draw for me as he can interact with different characters in different ways and a simple fight often isn't the best plan. So I'm a firm possibly.

Assistant Editors' Month 2 would rock.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Hmm. What issue of Venom would you say is the best? I'm willing to try one issue to see if I'll like this, so pick the issue you think would really hook a new reader.
    I would honestly start from the beginning of Cates's run. It's that good. And the issues aren't a slog, so even the talking issues go quickly.

Wait they're doing the Vemon thing again? Didn't we get something like that last year with the X-Men?

There is still a Maestro out there since Contest of Champions, right?

Maybe there will be an unholly alliance: Captain HYDRA, Maker, Maestro, Pymtron.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way