Spectacular Member

Default How would Jason Todd react to this?

Unlikely allies

Write some dialogue for Jason Todd reacting to meeting an alternate version of the Joker who claims to be a superhero.

How would current main continuity Jason Todd react to meeting the Jokester, the old good guy version of the Joker, and what do you think would have to happen to convince the two unlikely allies to work together in the absence of other superheroes?

I may think the scene in Countdown to Final Crisis #31, where the Crime Society gangs up on them, and Jason thinks they are in so much trouble that he just gives up and says, "someone, just hit me with a crowbar now," and then the Earth 3 Jok(st)er shouts, "that's a cue if I ever heard one," and comes in with a trick mallet and basically saves everyone's bacon, is one of the funniest scenes ever printed in a comic book.

Alas, they rebooted Jason Todd, and the whole DC universe now, so that story is no longer part of the "official" continuity. Perhaps it was at least cute, though.

I might kind of like to read an Elseworld comic where the two team up...
    Last edited by kcomics; 04-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.

I don't think current continuity Jason is much different than Countdown Jason, to be honest. He's maybe a bit more cold and less angry, but I don't remember that version much different that what we have now.

He’d hug him.

BANNED

WWJD?

Shoot it.

Considering Jokester had no part in Jason's death, and ISN'T a psychotic killer like Joker, and actually a good guy, Jason would let him be. Wouldn't willingly interact with him, but would let him be, regardless.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Fun fact, at some point Lobdell played with the idea of bringing the Jokester back and teaming him up with Jason.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Fun fact, at some point Lobdell played with the idea of bringing the Jokester back and teaming him up with Jason.
    Seriously? Why didn't they? I'd read that!

Spectacular Member

Maybe I should ask this question again , another way.

I'm trying to write a fan fic including the Jason Todd character on Earth 3 or meeting Earth 3 characters, and I'm having trouble getting into Jason Todd's head.

How would Jason Todd react to meeting superhero counterparts of his Earth's villains, especially the Jokester character? Let's assume the events of Countdown have already happened so Jason is somewhat aware that this clown is not the murderous Joker.

What would have to happen to make Jason okay with teaming up with them?

Well, Earth 3 Jason Todd would, at best, be an anti-villain. Considering main Jason is usually somewhere between anti-hero and hero.

Though, like main Jason, I'd suspect Earth 3 Jason would have a falling out with Owlman and his cohorts. Over what, I don't know.

Now, if it were main Earth Jason, that would be interesting. Coming to a world where people that he's known most of his life are heinous villains, and people he's fought against, and probably tried to kill, are actually the good guys. And I imagine Owlman's nihilism could probably really set Jason off. And meeting the Jokester? A good version of Joker? That would be something to see.

Well, technically, Jason in Under the Hood, up to Countdown, would count as an anti-villain at times, I think. Or he would be between the borders of anti-hero and anti-villain. An anti-villain is one that wants to achieve a noble end, but his ways are straigh wrong, right? Not ambiguous or dirty, like an anti-hero. So Jason in UtH and a few other stories during that very brief period fit those traits, besides picturing him as a clear antgonist most of the time. Arkham Knight Jason from the Arkhamverse, too. Diference between him being heroic or villanious, depending on if he hurts the innocent and heroes or not, I guess.

Maybe Earth 3 Jason wouldn't have those problems and he would go straight heroic from being a starting minion villain, and them Owlman would have killed him after met Jokester and change sides for good. Then coming back as a lawful good vigilante who distrusts Jokester, but still works with him.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 05-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.