Page 323 of 667 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I get the feeling that Mets is giving the impression (correctly or not) that he is unwilling to be self-party critical. But to those who debate him, are you also willing to be self-party critical?
    Yes. But not so much where I delve into "both sides are just as bad" territory, or willfully would get into "do you trust me or your lying eyes" territory, like some.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

In 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of David Barton, one of the co-authors of the 2012 and 2016 GOP Platforms, and a conservative historian/exposed fraud. That's right, an Evangelical Republican who teaches history from an alternative timeline that never existed was allowed to lead a group prayer at the 2012 Republican National Convention, and then go in and be one of the bigger influences upon writing the party platform. This, in spite of the fact that he wrote "The Jefferson Lies", a book that falsely claimed Thomas Jefferson intended America to be a Christian nation and was opposed to gay rights. for example. It was such a load of bunk that less than three months after it was released, his publisher had it yanked from bookstores around the country. But none of this has stopped the GOP Fundamentalists from continuing to disseminate whatever falsehoods Barton writes amongst their members, when they should have lanced him like a boil from their ranks before he did further damage to their reputation the past few years of, y'know, rejecting facts. The conservative media has folks like Glenn Beck and the Family Research Council still proudly welcome David Barton as a guest, not just swallowing the tripe he serves up, but lying on his behalf and claiming he has scholarly credentials he doesn't actually have. I mean, it might seem plausible to hear our Founding Fathers were opposed to the theory of evolution, because it was a radical concept when Charles Darwin presented it to folks... but the Founding Fathers were sort of dead by the time Darwin was writing about evolution. (If you believe Barton, though, the theory has been around since 500 B.C.)

We noted, though, that David Barton doesn't just present an alternate history of America... he's apparently living in an alternate reality of the present, where military chaplains are forced to perform gay marriages against their will, that gays are being allowed to "evangelize" to children in schools, that the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling also legalized pedophilia and would outlaw the Bible, that the average American household on welfare gets $61,000 a year (far, far less, actually), that the Bible forbids all government debt and says we will never be able to make an AIDS vaccine (missed that passage, myself), that President Obama aids the Muslim Brotherhood, that Ruth Bader Ginsberg can be impeached for falling asleep during the State of the Union Address (Gee, if Rep. Joe Wilson didn't get anything more than admonished for the crap he pulled...), that the concept of retirement from employment is a "Pagan Concept"... the nuclear treaty between the United States on Iran, claiming that it would force the United States to fight Israel, and bring about "God's Wrath". In February 2016 Barton went on Glenn Beck's show (again) to talk about Black History Month, and asks why whites don't get more recognition for their part in it, because "Blacks were not able to free themselves, whites did" or that “being a True Christian” is a surefire way to avoid getting AIDS, which you get if you “violate God’s standards of sexuality”. (Tell that to Ryan White’s mother, you ***hole.)

Nothing is beyond this man’s notice to be manipulated for ideological purposes… in April 2016, after the release of Disney’s Zootopia, he suggested Disney movies feature anthropomorphized animal characters is an attempt to bring back pagan Gods like "Dagon was the fish God". In our 2017 review of Barton’s activities, we noted that he started claiming that the Founding Fathers put two clauses in the Declaration of Independence that condemned slavery (which is amazing considering all of the Southern delegates OWNED SLAVES), that during World War II, the United States warned Japan which cities we were going to drop atomic bombs on, that “Dixiecrat” Strom Thurmond switched parties because he “had a change of heart on race issues” (Thurmond was opposed to integration, and Democratic President Lyndon Johnson’s opposition to segregation was the reason Thurmond left the Democratic Party), and in April 2017, talked about visiting historical sites of the Holocaust, and how those same evils are manifesting today to assist the “homosexual lifestyle”, before claiming that the Nazis were also pagans (Hint: They were mostly Protestant, some Catholic).

As if David Barton being a passionate Donald Trump supporter in spite of him boasting about sexual assault wasn’t enough to make him full of s*** on his supposed Christian morality, he yet again breaks the fifth Commandment to defend a sexual predator, falsely claiming that Bill O’Reilly was fired from Fox News for “complimenting a woman’s hair”, which really undersells the long, sordid history of reports from multiple accusers of O’Reilly making unwanted advances towards them, making grotesque sexual comments at them, and even calling some employees while apparently masturbating. Barton blames rising health care costs on homosexuals, complained in an interview with E.W. Jackson that “white people don’t get enough credit for ending slavery”, and whines that the separation of church and state doesn’t exempt anyone who goes to church from having to pay taxes. In 2018, David Barton claimed he has seen nothing that would “indicate a lack of good morals” from anyone in the Trump administration.

Y’know, other than the white nationalists who want to lock children in cages or all the people who resigned in disgrace for corruption.

What we're getting at is David Barton needs to be put in a goddamned rubber room and the worst part is his brand of insanity is contagious, as he actively promotes it as reality to Evangelicals in and around government. If you're still not convinced he's nuttier than a jar of Planters, we have another year of David Barton baying at the moon to present, and would like to thank the website Right Wing Watch for keeping a close eye on him. We’ll spare you all his lunacy, and just give you his six dumbest moments from the past 12 months:

And we again, remind our readers that David Barton, in spite of being factually wrong more often than correct on the topic he claims to be an expert on, history, is widely respected by Republican leaders, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, and that he is still not just allowed to help write the Republican Party Platform every four years, but can boast that his influence in the room can make it what he considers “the most biblically-friendly GOP Platform he’s ever seen”.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I wasnt Civil to Mets.

I called him a void of emotion, got that post deleted and banned for a week for it. Frankly its pretty tame compared to the tone of some of these posts in response to his endless bullshitting, goalpost moving and weak attempts at ignorance
    Welcome to the club.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    This would be painful to watch if he was just somebody's racist grandpa.

And then you realize he has the nuclear codes.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I'll take being kind over being civil any day of the week.

Hillary was right!

Citing what it calls a slew of human-rights violations, Amnesty International is calling on the U.S. government to shut down the Homestead detention center before children in Miami-Dade start school again next month.

The global human-rights organization published a 41-page report Thursday on the Homestead facility — still the nation’s largest center for unaccompanied migrant children — after touring the shelter earlier this week.

“The USA provides certain legal protections for unaccompanied children because of their unique vulnerabilities. The USA is violating its human rights obligations at Homestead by holding unaccompanied children in prolonged and indefinite detention,” the report said. “The current state of prolonged detention of unaccompanied children across the [Office of Refugee Resettlement] shelter system violates the USA’s human rights obligations.”

According to the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement — which governs the detention, treatment and release of all migrant children in the United States — ORR is required to release kids within 20 days, a benchmark that has been missed by dozens, if not hundreds of days. The settlement also says that unaccompanied children should be placed in “the least restrictive setting possible,” in accordance with their “best interests.”
    I used to live in Miami, and I'm really proud of the job the Miami Herald has been doing lately.

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    To every American, my question is, do you feel comfortable being critical of the political party you are affiliated with or with politicians and other members of your party?

I get the feeling that Mets is giving the impression (correctly or not) that he is unwilling to be self-party critical. But to those who debate him, are you also willing to be self-party critical?

I think we are all mature enough, or should be mature enough, to realize that no person or party is perfect.

However, to downplay or ignore or deflect from what is going on with Trump and his administration is understandably perplexing and likely to draw the ire of many. Some Republicans are able to stand apart from the pack and speak freely and critically. Others seem to find it impossible to do so.

Not all transgressions are equal, some are far worse than others.
    I'm under no delusion that Obama or the Democratic party is without sin, and have called them out on stuff like extralegal drone bombings and whistleblower retaliation numerous times

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    What exactly does civility entail these days anyway? Being polite, courteous, and considerate of the sensibilities of others sounds an awful lot like political correctness if you ask me...
    The main thing I'd like to see would be for people to give the benefit of the doubt that a person is being sincere when expressing their opinion, unless and until they give a reason not to.

I think people - especially those plugged into political arguments - hear the first few bars and assume they know the rest of the song because they've heard it so many times.

I think taking people seriously bridges half the gap most of the time, believe it or not.

Angela Merkel was asked if she rejected Trump's racism and supported the congresswomen being attacked by Trump. Her response:

"Yes. Yes. Without question, I reject and stand in solidarity with the congresswomen he targeted."

Hillary was right!

So Trump, after weakly saying he didn't support the chants, has now going back to praising them.

Not surprised, Trump can't help being a racist ******* for long.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    So Trump, after weakly saying he didn't support the chants, has now going back to praising them.

I wonder if that change of heart took place after Angela Merkel called out Trump and said she stood with AOC and company?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week:

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

He'll do anything to stay out of jail at this point -- don't surprised if he doesn't show much "civility" in trying to appeal to his base going forward.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And we again, remind our readers that David Barton, in spite of being factually wrong more often than correct on the topic he claims to be an expert on, history, is widely respected by Republican leaders, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, and that he is still not just allowed to help write the Republican Party Platform every four years, but can boast that his influence in the room can make it what he considers “the most biblically-friendly GOP Platform he’s ever seen”.
    Pretty sure you mean Former Speaker of the House. Former is very important because it means we don't have to see him around as much anymore.

Meanwhile, with other jackasses, we turn to Texas with Greg Abbott!

Today I signed the ⁦@ChickfilA⁩ law in Texas.

And, had a great lunch.

No business should be discriminated against simply because its owners donate to a church, the Salvation Army, or other religious organization.

Texas protects religious liberty.
    Because clearly there is no better thing to be working on than this.

Miss Michigan winner stripped of title over offensive posts

Miss Michigan 2019 winner Kathy Zhu was stripped of her title on Thursday for “offensive, insensitive and inappropriate” social media posts, she said Thursday.

Zhu, 20, tweeted Thursday what appeared to be a screenshot of an email she received from Miss World America officials, who told her she was dismissed from being a pageant participant.

“Miss World America's State/National/Chief Director accused me of being racist, Islamaphobic, and insensitive,” Zhu tweeted. “They stripped me of my Miss Michigan title due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets.”

Zhu is a political commentator known as @PoliticalKathy on Twitter and Facebook and an open supporter of President Trump. In 2018, she approached a Muslim Student Association booth and declined to wear a hijab, later tweeting that “there is a 'try a hijab on' booth at my college campus.

“So you're telling me that it's now just a fashion accessory and not a religious thing?” she tweeted, according to the Detroit Free Press. “Or are you just trying to get women used to being oppressed under Islam?”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.