Page 538 of 667 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588638 ... LastLast
Results 8,056 to 8,070 of 10005
  1. #8056
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,754

    Default

    Meanwhile

    US and Brazil agree to Amazon development

    The US and Brazil have agreed to promote private-sector development in the Amazon, during a meeting in Washington on Friday.

    They also pledged a $100m (£80m) biodiversity conservation fund for the Amazon led by the private sector.

    Brazil's foreign minister said opening the rainforest to economic development was the only way to protect it.

    Ernesto Araujo also hit back at criticism of Brazil's handling of the forest fires.

    He told reporters in Washington that claims the country is "not able to cope with the challenges" were false.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  2. #8057

    Default


    Melissa Howard

    Welcome to the 785th original “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile, where today we’ll be discussing Melissa Howard, a 2018 candidate for the Florida House of Representatives for a seat in District 73 of that body, who actually was getting a little support and promotion from Republican financer Carlos Beruff. Her campaign didn’t even make it to the primary though, and we never got to learn much about her position on this issues… because she had one of the most embarrassing lies in politics of all of 2018, and that’s saying something in the Trump era.

    You see, Melissa Howard and her husband lead a comfortable life running the International Medical Expo and Market Place, and she originally dreamed of being on a spinoff of Real Housewives, or some sort of reality show. But when that didn’t happen, she figured a political career was her next ticket to fame. Noble reason for entering public service, right? Anyway, she was already establishing a confrontational relationship with the local media, when the man she was challenging in the GOP Primary for a seat in the state legislature, Tommy Gregory, accused Howard about lying about having a college degree from he University of Miami of Ohio. Reporters, already having seen Howard pull a “fake news” act when they discussed even the most trivial of things about her, couldn’t find any record of her having a degree either.

    Which prompted Melissa Howard to fly to Ohio to go digging with her mother to pull her diploma out of storage, and post a photo of herself with it online and tell Tommy Gregory to “stop the lies. There was just one problem… the diploma in the photo was easily broken down as a phony.

    A university spokeswoman weighed in:
    • The picture of the diploma does not appear to be an accurate Miami University diploma.
    • The picture of the diploma shows Melissa Marie Fox received a Bachelor of Science in Marketing degree from Miami University on December 20, 1996. We have no such record of a degree.
    • Miami University’s degree for marketing majors then, as it is now, was a Bachelor of Science in Business. Fox’s major field of study while enrolled at Miami University was retailing, and the degree for that program of study was a Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences.
    A day after Melissa Howard promised to stay in the race anyway amidst the controversy, she dropped out. Because she unwittingly committed a misdemeanor by faking her diploma like that, and had to serve probation as a result. We’re pretty sure her career in politics is over before it really started, but on the bright side for her, now she’ll have more time to focus on becoming a reality TV star.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-15-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  3. #8058
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,754

    Default



    For those who don't speak Spanish, Pendejo = Jerk or stupid or wanker (if your British)
    Last edited by Tami; 09-15-2019 at 04:29 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  4. #8059
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Call me paranoid....but isnt it REALLY convenient that people commit Arson in the Amazon, which is then ignored until multiple nations kickoff and the end result is now multi national corporations can exploit the amazon ?

  5. #8060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    But note, our forum Republican would like to stop everything to focus on the real bad guy in this story, the media outlet who was reporting Kavanaugh... but not Kavanaugh.

    For someone who claims to not like Trump so much, seeing a lot of copycatting from his playbook.
    Do you think the Times' announcement about this excerpt was done well?

    If yes, can you explain why?

    If not, this shows a problem with current tribalism where you the important thing isn't the facts but whether one is on the correct side of an issue, where mistakes by opponents must be highlighted and mistakes by one's side should be ignored. Many Republicans do this as well (part of their argument for defending Trump consistently is that they think he's on the right side) but the opinion on whether they're wrong to do so shouldn't be based on whether we agree with them on the bigger question.

  6. #8061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Also to divert from the fact he agrees with a guy who thinks Genocide is ok.
    I said what about genocide, now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Yeah, I would have preferred Ronan Farrow breaking this for the New Yorker, he would not have messed up the roll out like the NYT did.

    Anyway, Kavanaugh still is a serial sexual assaulter and needs to be impeached.
    This was an excerpt from a book by Times supporters, so it's not something Farrow could have broken.

    An impeachment probably wouldn't go well since the evidence that meets any kind of legal standard is quite limited.

    There's nothing new about Blasey Ford. There are people who claim that they heard about what happened to Ms. Ramirez, but no one is identified as an actual witness (one of the problems with Ramirez's story is that she told people she was contacting that she wasn't even sure it was Kavanaugh.)

    There's a classmate who claims to have seen lewd behavior by Kavanaugh but no one corroborates the story, including the woman who they claimed had been the victim.

    The Times' review of the book makes it clear that there's no damning new evidence.

    Pogrebin and Kelly spend significant time digging into Blasey Ford’s accusations and also those of Deborah Ramirez, a woman who says Kavanaugh put his penis in her face at a Yale college party. They track down any witnesses and friends willing to talk, comb through legal documents, do their best to find the house where Blasey Ford says the assault took place. They point out critical witnesses that the F.B.I., in its very limited investigation, did not have time to interview. In the end they turn up no smoking gun, no secret confession, no friend who comes forth to say Kavanaugh was lying all this time.

  7. #8062
    Intermediary
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Kavanaugh is a trash man and Yale continues to be trash for still fostering a culture like that

    I can speak to it as I live in the area, have friends that work there, and have seen Yale consume New Haven like a classist octopus

  8. #8063
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I said what about genocide, now?

    This was an excerpt from a book by Times supporters, so it's not something Farrow could have broken.


    [/URL]
    Thanks for pointing out that a hypothetical could not have happened.

    Except of course, if he had worked on the story and beaten the Times "supporters" to it, he could have broken the story, and he would have done it in a more tasteful way than the horrible "But her E-Mails!" NYT.

    You really argue weird, you know?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  9. #8064
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,754

    Default

    #FOIA thread screed

    FBI, the WORST agency when it comes to transparency, the agency that routinely violates #FOIA, has ONLY NOW, after NEARLY A YEAR OF LITIGATION, decided to tell me & @BuzzFeedNews
    that it is withholding the report on its "investigation" into Brett Kavanaugh
    1/
    Twitter Link




    This is the response BuzzFeed got from the FBI about their FOIA request

    If the FBI is saying that they won't provide it due to "Executive Privilege"

    Then a) Executive Privileged is usually only invoked when it involves communication between the President and someone else, so how does this related to the Kavanugh Investigation?
    b)Trump was interfering with a FBI Investigation
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  10. #8065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I should have known that was Douthat. It /felt/ like it.
    I did include the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not saying right or wrong, but opinion columns are opinion columns for a reason. It's up to the reader to judge if the columnist did a good job in basing their opinion on facts or not. One way to do so is to evaluate the columnist and his or her previous body of works.

    As a Research/Reference/Instruction Librarian, I have a lot of experience on how to measure the quality of the content of a written work. Online here, I'll admit to sometimes getting lazy and making mistakes, but occasionally I do put my Professional hat on.

    Bottom line, each reader has to decide for themselves the value or what is written, but they so do so being as informed about the topic in discussion as possible. The most Opinion Columns provide links to outside sources/content that can be used to back up their statements and claims. Those sources can be used to check on the content written about.
    That's a thoughtful response on what could be a difficult question. I do think there's a dangerous precedent if we define writers purely by their worst moments, especially the stuff they did when they were amateurs. That's going to happen more in the modern era where we have ready access to the archives of blogs and college papers. There's an additional question of when we differentiate views that are so abhorrent that no reasonable person could ever have held them, and it's a black mark against someone for doing so.

    In the case of Douthat's column, he did provide outside sources, so we could measure whether his summaries were accurate and whether he was correct in his defense or instead defending the indefensible. The focus on what he wrote in college sidesteps that discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    For one thing, you don't get to claim that the Washington Post is "left wing media" when they have just as many uppity conservative nitwits publishing nonsensical columns as the New York Times does. And if anything, the left seriously underestimated just how racist the country was, by focusing too much on rather esoteric dog whistling and ignoring that damned near half the country were still out and proud white nationalists. Trump voters didn't come from outer space, they were the same people who spent the last few decades bitching about affirmative action, birthright citizenship, Obamacare, or what have you and vehemently denying that their political stances were in any way motivated by racial resentment.
    The specific opinion pieces for the Washington Post would count as left-wing media.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Wow. That entire post is a whole lot of assumptions and lecturing and deflections with a side of demands for 'civility'. You support a political party that is run by an administration that's eagerly trying to send sick brown kids back to their home countries to die.

    I only wish you could get as upset about that as you seemingly could about someone online saying mean things about the Republican Party.
    This board isn't necessarily representative of my views, since I don't see a point in highlighting stuff that you guys already know and have considered.

    I'd be talking about different stuff if the most active posters were conservatives, and stories from Breitbart or Limbaugh weren't get any pushback.

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    An opinion piece that the writer is going by his own anecdotes while defending his personal friends for being called racist. No bias here.
    Was he wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I think it's the opposite really, the Left has been too lenient with allegations of racism for a long time. We're just now catching on.
    By "we" in this case, I mean guys like me. Too oblivious (read: white) to notice things that minorities have been dealing with forever.

    Also, I cannot stress enough how much racists explaining how they can't be racist should never be accepted as an okay alternative interpretation of what racism means.
    They're trying to delegitimize criticism of them, and we all have to consciously remember that's what's happening and that it can't be allowed to succeed.
    So, in the article which of the claims of racism/ white nationalism would you say was accurate?

  11. #8066
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    By the way, the drone attack on Saudi Oil production will mean crude oil prices will go through the roof.

    Fill up your car early tomorrow morning. And sell all your stocks if you haven't already.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  12. #8067
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The specific opinion pieces for the Washington Post would count as left-wing media.
    So a paper that goes out of its way to accommodate both sides can still be selectively counted as slanted media because some of its columnists have left wing views? How then does this not apply to columns by Douthat and, in the case of the Post, the truly awful musings of the likes of Marc Thiessen and Hugh Hewitt?

  13. #8068
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,754

    Default

    Trump blasts calls for impeachment of Brett Kavanaugh after new allegations

    Donald Trump came storming to the defence of Brett Kavanaugh on Sunday, after the publication of new allegations about the supreme court justice’s behaviour while he was a student at Yale led to renewed calls for his impeachment.
    Kamala Harris and Julían Castro were among Democrats leading the charge. Harris said Kavanaugh “lied to the US Senate and most importantly to the American people”.

    Trump tweeted: “The Radical Left Democrats and their Partner, the LameStream Media, are after Brett Kavanaugh again.”

    On Saturday, the New York Times, a leading target for Trump’s ire, published an essay adapted from a new book by two of its reporters, Robin Pogrebin and Kate Kelly.

    In the extract from The Education of Brett Kavanaugh: an Investigation, Pogrebin and Kelly look into the judge’s time at Yale in the 1980s.

    The piece concerned a claim by another student, Deborah Ramirez, that at a drunken party, Kavanaugh “pulled down his pants and thrust his penis at her, prompting her to swat it away and inadvertently touch it”.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  14. #8069
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The discourse about racism is pretty toxic right now, and it isn't helped by liberals using the allegation excessively when it's supposed to carry a great moral weight.

    One problem with the discourse is that there are multiple definitions of racism and racist used inconsistently on the left, whereas the right is more likely to stick with the classic definition: someone who is opposed to others because of their race. In this sense, it's a pretty big insult, the equivalent of saying that someone is scum, their family should abandon them, their employer should fire them, their friends should be pariahs if they offer support in any way, and the world will be better off with them dead. That does appear to be the way you're using it right now, but there is often some category creep as it's often used in other ways which makes having policy discussions more difficult.

    The word is also used to describe people who participate in institutions with inequitable outcomes, and within some progressive organizations by white people discussing their own shortcomings, who presumably don't believe it would be the moral obligation of siblings to keep them away from nephews and nieces. So that makes it tougher to have conversations about ending racism since people with different definitions will talk post one another. Granted, there is also the difference of opinion of what constitutes behavior that is racist and worthy of moral opprobrium. If the Washington Post publishes a claim that a writer's concern about birthrates or a lawyer's discussion of particularity — ethnic, cultural, religious of nations is definitive evidence of white nationalism, it's the left-wing media crying wolf, which makes it more difficult to be taken seriously when actual wolves show up.

    As for how things would be different if Obama hadn't been as conciliatory towards Republicans, the elections probably would have gone worse without the claim to the moral high ground.

    And this makes him factually wrong in his editorial because?

    And I get the crying wolf comparison, but stuff he wrote as a college student isn't the equivalent of material published in the New York Times, and an organization as prestigious as the Washington Post.
    And what makes that article better than these articles about how the GOP actually are racist:

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iority-complex

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/theres...racism-problem

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...it-viable.html

    It seems like conservatives want to be able to throw out articles they do not like as being biased, but demand that articles are written by conservatives be treated as objective and respectful. Conservatives want to play the game with a stacked deck.

    If the GOP is not racist, why did Reagan, the GOP's patron saint, make racist statements against Africans?

    Also if structural racism does not exist, why does the US have the highest prison population in the world and why are most of the prisoners people of color?

    Why was Steve King allowed to go unchallenged for so long, if the GOP is not racist, shouldn't someone like King never have gotten into office, because it seems they tolerated him for a long time, it's only until he got really loud about it, that action was taken against him.

    The GOP has been playing footsies with racists since the 60s, to say racism is not baked into the party is to deny reality. That is a fact, regardless of your feelings.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
    Last edited by The Overlord; 09-15-2019 at 09:07 AM.

  15. #8070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    So a paper that goes out of its way to accommodate both sides can still be selectively counted as slanted media because some of its columnists have left wing views? How then does this not apply to columns by Douthat and, in the case of the Post, the truly awful musings of the likes of Marc Thiessen and Hugh Hewitt?
    Douthat, Hewitt and Thiessen's columns would count as right-wing media.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    And what makes that article better than these articles about how the GOP actually are racist:

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...iority-complex

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/theres...racism-problem

    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...it-viable.html

    It seems like conservatives want to be able to throw out articles they do not like as being biased, but demand that articles are written by conservatives be treated as objective and respectful. Conservatives want to play the game with a stacked deck.

    If the GOP is not racist, why did Reagan, the GOP's patron saint, make racist statements against Africans?

    Also if structural racism does not exist, why does the US have the highest prison population in the world and why are most of the prisoners people of color?

    Why was Steve King allowed to go unchallenged for so long, if the GOP is not racist, shouldn't someone like King never have gotten into office, because it seems they tolerated him for a long time, it's only until he got really loud about it, that action was taken against him.

    The GOP has been playing footsies with racists since the 60s, to say racism is not baked into the party is to deny reality. That is a fact, regardless of your feelings.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
    Articles should be held to the same standards.

    I don't recall ever commenting one way or the other on the pieces you mention.

    The problem isn't one of bias but of accuracy. I wasn't saying the problem with some of the claims of racism was one of bias, but that the specific allegations were inaccurate. And that this makes conservatives less inclined to talk about serious points.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •