Page 250 of 667 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260300350 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Biden needs to withdraw.

He is super out of touch.
    In general I’m always surprised at how often the two main parties in US allow senior politicians to have multiple cracks at the top office, and allow in fighting to lessen the chances of ultimate victory in main election.

In UK..Conservative party is particularly ruthless in dealing with politicians that fail to win General Elections..the men in grey suits just ask the loser to retire to their country estates. The Labour Party isn’t much less ruthless...maybe finding the loser a well paid sinecure somewhere.

Certainly it’s hard to imagine that multiple losers like Hilary C, Bernie S, or Uncle Joe being allowed anywhere near a party leadership contest.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I'm not concerned about the "concerns on the right" -- I'm concerned about Republicans separating families and treating asylum seekers and children like prisoners, making them sleep on concrete floors while using my tax dollars to do so.

As any person with a sense of human decency would be.

I've already told you I'm not going to waste time on this rhetoric Mets -- you've already made it clear that you care more about "open borders" nonsense than making sure your party doesn't go full Nazi/white supremacist with regards to the treatment of "minorities" both here and abroad. For all your talk of "slippery slopes" that seems to be the one that "concerns the right" the least -- including you -- despite the obvious negative ramifications it will have for our nation (both domestically and internationally) going forward.

With that in mind, there's no point in even pretending that we can find common ground on these kinds of issues, just like there's no reason to pretend any (humane) solution I might offer would be seriously considered by the Republicans in Congress.

And that's not dodging your questions -- I've already pointed out those queries are best left to independent experts, like the doctors and government officials the Republicans won't let visit young sick children in the camps.
    How are these questions to be left up to the doctors and independent experts? What does a doctor have to say about the effect of the Flores settlement, which limits the amount of time minors can be kept in facilities? What do doctors have to do with legal criteria about whether someone meets the standards for Asylum (IE- Does it require persecution, or is it enough to come from a government that can't guarantee safety? Should it be extended to survivors of domestic violence?)

And how are we going to pick the independent experts? What criteria should be used? Who is going to be accountable for the results?

You say it's nonsense to be worried about open borders but what are the limits on immigration when anyone who says their government can't guarantee their safety, or that they are a victim of domestic violence is offered asylum?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You say it's nonsense to be worried about open borders but what are the limits on immigration when anyone who says their government can't guarantee their safety, or that they are a victim of domestic violence is offered asylum?
    I say it's nonsense to bother with useless rhetoric while children are sleeping on concrete floors under our watch.

I'm not going to sit here and try to solve the entire immigration crisis on a message board, especially without the appropriate data.

What I am going to do is continue to point out that your party is the primary reason for this "crisis" -- like so many others -- and so long as you dodge that fact it doesn't make sense to even bother trying to engage with you on any other level.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-30-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Biden needs to withdraw.

He is super out of touch.
    How long has it been since Joe was last in a campaign? He keeps harkening back to the good old days of partisan cooperation, days that are long dead and will mostly likely never return. His comment not too long ago that Republicans would return to civility once Trump is gone from office was worse than naive, it was patently foolish. Trump is nothing more than a symptom of the disease that’s the GOP’s descent in the right wing madness of greed, power, bigotry and repugnant ideology, Trump was simply it’s figurehead. If Biden can’t see that for himself, then he needs to step down because his mindset is seriously behind the times.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How are these questions to be left up to the doctors and independent experts? What does a doctor have to say about the effect of the Flores settlement, which limits the amount of time minors can be kept in facilities? What do doctors have to do with legal criteria about whether someone meets the standards for Asylum (IE- Does it require persecution, or is it enough to come from a government that can't guarantee safety? Should it be extended to survivors of domestic violence?)

And how are we going to pick the independent experts? What criteria should be used? Who is going to be accountable for the results?

In the era of trump, you're likely to be killed by white conservative terrorism than an immigrant.

A list of trump's 'good people':

John T. Earnest
    San Diego
    https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...509162631.html

Stephen Paddock
    LV
    http://www.newsweek.com/las-vegas-gu...-market-701597

Nikolas Cruz
    Parkland
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikola...up-leader-says

James Alex Field
    Charlottesville

Devin Patrick Kelley
    Sutherland Springs
    His Facebook caption is "Deplorable Deb Reporting from my Basket".

Lance Davis
    http://www.newsweek.com/former-milo-...his-dad-692950

Jeremy Christian
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...an_facebo.html

Patrick Stein
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/patrick...t-proceedings/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...233458205.html

Dimitrios Pagourtzis
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/dimitr...ect?yptr=yahoo

Robert Bowers
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/1791727002/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Based on what metric? Why didn't Kerry win in 2004 or Clinton win in 2016? Clearly is not a formula that wins every time. I think times are changing more then you think. Trump used left-wing criticism of NAFTA to attack Clinton, what was her counter? Trump pasted her for a close connection to Wall Street, what was her counter? The last election proved to me the ''conventional wisdom'' has failed.
    So if I am understanding you correctly, you are convinced the Democratic primaries should be dismissed out of hand and the most pure-quill progressive candidate imaginable anointed the candidate for the presidential election (at which point the hordes sitting out elections on the basis of 'Both Sides Are The Same' will swarm the polling places).

Because, here is a secret, nobody is dead set on locking Bernie out of the election... nor were they in 2016.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Taking a walk in a hospital gown with an IV attached while black is now arrest worthy.

https://twitter.com/ATLBlackStar/sta...31712857612288
    Freeport police Lt. Andrew Schroeder rebutted Dukes’ version to a reporter and said officers got Dukes medical attention when they noticed he needed it.
    It is telling that they did not notice the need for medical attention when he has an IV in his vein. You would almost think they paid no attention to anything but a report of a Thieving Negro(tm) rather than do the sensible thing and chew out whoever called them after a quick look... or even the standard over-suspicious vaguely racist thing and hang around to make sure the man returned to the hospital building.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Trump Admits He ‘Gets Along’ Better With Dictators Than With American Journalists

Besides, Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman is going to spend $400 billion on “different things” in the U.S., according to Trump. Yeah, including "things" Trump has his fingers deep in. Meanwhile, silence from Republicans who'd go nuclear if Barack Obama said something like that.
    This is a surprise to whom, may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Inside The Dangerous Rise Of ‘Abortion Reversal’ Bills

This year, five states have passed laws mandating that physicians tell patients their abortions can be reversed — even though evidence says otherwise. This is flat out fucking dangerous! NO physician with a conscience should spew insane nonsense like that.

It is in the same vein as the counseling on mental illness, sterility, and cancer "Warnings" that are also mandated in several states due to the efforts of the "Pro-Life" movement (not to mention the pattern of deceit tied to "Crisis Pregnancy Centers"). It is almost as if telling the truth does not suit their goals....

Mighty Member

"Let the Doctors In"
    But the government fails to address the central question: Why should the government ban independent doctors from assessing children in custody? If there’s nothing to hide, why not let the doctors in?

Apparently blocking access is CBP’s default position. But the outcry by the American public in recent days has forced the agency to make changes. During the week of June 17, more than 2600 children were detained in border patrol facilities. Because of the public attention, that number has dropped to less than 1000. At Clint, the changes have been dizzying. 249 children were transferred on Monday. The facility was cleaned up. Then 100 children were brought in so that CBP could stage a highly restricted media tour, during which reporters were barred from speaking with any children, taking any photographs, or going into cells. But toothbrushes and even a soccer ball were on site. That’s a baby step in the right direction.

It should not take a national outcry for children in custody to have toothbrushes. It should not take a national outcry to ensure that babies, toddlers, and children held in carceral settings are safe with adequate food, beds, and showers. It should not take a national outcry to ensure that there are no more babies dying in custody. But that outcry—the outcry of the American public—must continue. Because for now, independent doctors are still banned from border detention facilities where vulnerable children languish.

Let’s not sanction another child’s death in our country and in our name."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...e-doctors.html
    One would almost think the people operating these places have something to hide....

Mighty Member

"Bannon and Cambridge Analytica planned suppression of black voters, whistleblower tells Senate"

"Appearing before the Senate Judiciary committee today as part of the ongoing investigation of Cambridge Analytica and various forms of meddling in the 2016 elections, former employee and whistleblower Christopher Wylie said that the company and its then-VP Steve Bannon were pursuing voter suppression tactics aimed at black Americans.

Although Wylie insisted that he himself did not take part in these programs, he testified to their existence.

“One of the things that provoked me to leave was discussions about ‘voter disengagement’ and the idea of targeting African Americans,” he said. “I didn’t participate on any voter suppression programs, so I can’t comment on the specifics of those programs.”

“I can comment on their existence, and I can comment more generally on my understanding of what they were doing,” he explained under questioning from Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA).

“If it suited the client’s objective, the firm [SCL, Cambridge Analytica’s parent company] was eager to capitalize on discontent and to stoke ethnic tensions,” read Wylie’s written testimony."

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/16/ba...-tells-senate/
    Does anyone notice how often Republicans and conservatives claim that 'The Democrats' are trying to replace or modify the electorate to gain power?

Now, considering the above, does anyone have any suspicions why?

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    So if I am understanding you correctly, you are convinced the Democratic primaries should be dismissed out of hand and the most pure-quill progressive candidate imaginable anointed the candidate for the presidential election (at which point the hordes sitting out elections on the basis of 'Both Sides Are The Same' will swarm the polling places).

Because, here is a secret, nobody is dead set on locking Bernie out of the election... nor were they in 2016.
    Exactly. If the DNC has any agenda at all, it is simply to nominate the most establishment candidate available. In 2016 that candidate was Hillary Clinton. Right now, that candidate is probably Joe Biden. But that doesn't mean that they have a grudge against any specific candidate, Bernie Sanders or anyone else. And each candidate should know all of this going in and figure out a way to work around it if they're not willing to become more of an establishment candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Exactly. If the DNC has any agenda at all, it is simply to nominate the most establishment candidate available. In 2016 that candidate was Hillary Clinton. Right now, that candidate is probably Joe Biden. But that doesn't mean that they have a grudge against any specific candidate, Bernie Sanders or anyone else. And each candidate should know all of this going in and figure out a way to work around it if they're not willing to become more of an establishment candidate.
    The same thing goes for dealing with that you have potentially alienated general election voters in your primary process.

I notice that plenty of Democrats didn't let that stop them from laying the blame on someone instead of accepting what is in blue.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Let's lead off with this grim illustration by Michael de Adder who was dropped from all major papers in the southeastern province of New Brunswick, Canada for printing this cartoon. The papers’ owners are reportedly afraid of Trump tariffs and retaliation, as they hold investments in timber and oil.

2020 Democrats Slam Trump’s Meet With Kim Jong Un As Mere Photo Op

White House contenders deride him for staging a publicity stunt with little to show for it — other than aiding a dictator. Little to show? How about NOTHING!

Cory Booker: Biden’s Remarks On Race Causing Nationwide ‘Frustration’ And ‘Pain’

“Right now, the vice president, to me, is not doing a good job at bringing folks together,” the senator said. Joe continues being raked over the coals, and that's not going to stop anytime soon....at least not until Biden drops out of the race.

Tucker Carlson Just Came Up With A Bizarre New Excuse For Trump’s Love Of Kim Jong Un

“You got to be honest about what it means to lead a country, it means killing people,” the Fox News host said. What? WHAT?!?

‘Horses**t’: Susan Rice Throws Down On Trump’s Claim About Obama And North Korea

The former national security adviser said Trump’s lying... again. Newsflash: If Trump moves his lips, chances are excellent he's lying. Speaking of which....

Donald Trump Resurrects Lie That China Is Paying His Tariffs

“Don’t let anyone tell you that we’re paying. We’re not paying,” he insisted. Yes we are.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

In 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of the current U.S. House Representative from New York’s 27th Congressional District, Chris Collins, a man who while running for Governor of New York in 2010, compared the Speaker of the New York House of Representatives to the Anti-Christ and Hitler, which was super-awkward because he was Jewish. He also sexually harassed a colleague by telling her she should offer up a lap dance to get a seat at the State of the State address that year, and tried deriding the need for healthcare reform by saying that people nowadays "don't die from prostate cancer" (except for the tens of thousands of people a year who do). Upon being elected to office in 2012, he quickly made himself a laughing stock by accidentally attending a Democratic Caucus meeting, grabbing breakfast, and then bolting after he realized he was in the wrong room. Collins voted for the 2013 Government Shutdown, but voting to keep the government closed when the vote came up to re-open it. Collins also has the dubious honor to have been the first Congressional Republican to endorse Donald Trump for president, and tried squaring up Trump’s hardline conservative stance on immigration by claiming that his statements were only “rhetorical” and not actually policies.

Currently, though, Chris Collins is probably doing the worst job of handling the fallout from the shooting of House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, where on the day of the shooting, Collins claimed that it was the “dangerous rhetoric” of Democrats that caused the shooter to act, and they need to “tone it down”. While he apologized for those comments in the heat of the moment, no one should take that apology too seriously, as later the same night, Collins went on a tirade against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, saying, “He’s a thug, he’s a bully, he’s a blackmailer, and an extortionist.” Seriously, that was the same day of his apology after he claimed the other side was using dangerous rhetoric. At least Collins waited a week before he promised to start carrying a gun. But we'll get into the pot calling the kettle black about criminal behavior in a second...

In 2017, Chris Collins he admitted voting for Trumpcare without even reading the bill in a live CNN interview. While Rep. Mark Sanford and Rep. Tom Garrett also admitted to doing the same, the difference is a provision in Trumpcare would have cost the state of New York $3 billion in funding, which, y’know, is where Collins is from. But in a bizarre turn of events, it turns out that Chris Collins feels like maybe Donald Trump’s statements shouldn’t just be considered “rhetorical”, after he came out in defense of Trump, and saying that the American people should take his Twitter account seriously, only a short time after Trump’s infamous “covfefe” post. But really, Chris Collins was trying to defend Donald Trump’s artful choice to attack the mayor of London on social media on the day London had experienced a terror attack, saying that Mayor Sadiq Khan “had started it.

Honestly, Rep. Collins shouldn’t be wasting time trying to play defense for Trump, he’s got his own problems to deal with. Like say, for example, that he was under an ethics investigation for violating the Stock Act, after voting on bills that helped a company he’s a major shareholder in profit. Perhaps no one would have noticed that conflict of interests had Collins himself not bragged in the House Speakers' Lobby about “how many millionaires I’ve made in Buffalo the past few months.” And perhaps no one would have thought much of the accusations if Collins hadn’t drawn more attention to it by responding by claiming it was a “witch hunt” and calling fellow Congresswoman Louise Slaughter a “despicable human being” for putting him under ethics review for it. In fact, Collins’ actions haave outright led to his arrest and indictment for insider trading, and the trial is set for early 2020. But no… HE STILL HAS NOT RESIGNED, serving in Congress while out on bail.

Anyway, here’s a glance at Collins’ recent voting record:

• January 27th, 2019: Chris Collins voted against HJR 30, which was meant to express disapproval of Donald Trump not acting against Russian Federation for attacking our democracy. You see, he’s fine with our nation being sublet to Vladimir Putin.
    • January 22nd, 2019: Collins cannot be arsed to vote against HR 676, which would prevent Donald Trump from doing the unthinkable and walking away from our allies in NATO to appease the Russians.
    • January 23rd, 2019: Rep. Collins voted against HR 648, because he was gleeully enjoying the longest government shutdown in history.
    • February 28th, 2019: Chris Collins votes against HR 1112, a bill which would have required universal background checks on all firearm purchases, and close the gun show loophole.
    • March 7th, 2019: Collins votes against HR 183, a resolution to condemn anti-Semitism as a hateful extension of intolerance.
    • March 14th, 2019: Rep. Collins votes against HJR 46, which sane members of Congress voted for to reject Donald Trump’s “national emergency” regarding the U.S. border and his attempts to reallocate funds for a border wall without Congressional approval.
    • April 4th, 2019: Chris Collins is one of 158 Republicans who choose to vote against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).
    • June 4th, 2019: Collins votes against the Dreamers Act, because he’s too xenophobic and partisan to care about immigration reform.

New York's 27th District does has an unfortunate +8 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, so it’s not exactly a swing district. Chris Collins did win barely hung on in 2018 with 49% of the vote, surviving by about 1,000 votes. Considering the next time he’s trying to run for office, he won’t be as free to campaign because he’ll be on trial for insider trading… we have a feeling that we won’t have to keep profiling him for much longer.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Just a quick FYI for the "Illinois"/"Illinois Adjacent" folks...

- https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...adi-story.html

Using an electronic device while driving -- even if you’re just holding it -- becomes a moving violation on July 1