Page 87 of 667 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187587 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 10005
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Noticed that this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's worth taking note of.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.958b9ad85fb9
    "Kendrick Castillo, hero killed in Colo. school shooting, told his dad he would act if confronted with a gunman"

"Kendrick Castillo – only days from graduation – acted fast inside of his British literature class at a suburban Denver school Tuesday afternoon. And he paid with his life.

When a gunman burst through the door at STEM School Highlands Ranch, barking at students to stay in place and not move, Castillo, 18, rushed the shooter. It was a quick-thinking move that fellow students said gave them a chance to bolt for safety or take cover under desks.

"Kendrick lunged at (the gunman), and he shot Kendrick, giving all of us enough time to get underneath our desks, to get ourselves safe, and to run across the room to escape,” senior Nui Giasolli told NBC's Today on Wednesday morning. Other students helped Castillo tackle the shooter, classmates said.

An emotional John Castillo lauded his kind-hearted son as a hero. “I want people to know about him,” he told ABC News.

He also told NBC that he talked with Kendrick about what to do in a school shooting, advising him "you don't have to be the hero."

But his son, who wanted to study electrical engineering in college, insisted he would act. "You raised me this way. You raised me to be a good person. That’s what I’m doing,'" Castillo recalled.

Castillo said the coroner told him his son, an only child, took gunfire that would have harmed other students, according to the Denver Post.

“He cared enough about people that he would do something like that, even though it’s against my better judgment,'' Castillo told the newspaper. “I wish he had gone and hid, but that’s not his character. His character is about protecting people, helping people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kendrick-...153851051.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    To showcase the difference between Fox news and more liberal media the BBC literally sacked a radio presenter and occasional tv personality because he posted a racist tweet today.
    Oh, yeah, I read about that. He posted a photo depicting the new Royal baby as a chimpanzee. How do you not know in 2019 that that's racist?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Oh, yeah, I read about that. He posted a photo depicting the new Royal baby as a chimpanzee. How do you not know in 2019 that that's racist?
    I feel like people for some reason want to continue believing that Europeans are more tolerant and progressive than white Americans, when there is more than enough evidence that it only appears that way because there are fewer people of color for them to interact with and not as much of a history of violent race relations to stoke the flames. However, this also means that a pretty fair chunk of them have these casually racist attitudes that nobody ever taught them was wrong.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    "Kendrick Castillo, hero killed in Colo. school shooting, told his dad he would act if confronted with a gunman"

"Kendrick Castillo – only days from graduation – acted fast inside of his British literature class at a suburban Denver school Tuesday afternoon. And he paid with his life.

When a gunman burst through the door at STEM School Highlands Ranch, barking at students to stay in place and not move, Castillo, 18, rushed the shooter. It was a quick-thinking move that fellow students said gave them a chance to bolt for safety or take cover under desks.

"Kendrick lunged at (the gunman), and he shot Kendrick, giving all of us enough time to get underneath our desks, to get ourselves safe, and to run across the room to escape,” senior Nui Giasolli told NBC's Today on Wednesday morning. Other students helped Castillo tackle the shooter, classmates said.

An emotional John Castillo lauded his kind-hearted son as a hero. “I want people to know about him,” he told ABC News.

He also told NBC that he talked with Kendrick about what to do in a school shooting, advising him "you don't have to be the hero."

But his son, who wanted to study electrical engineering in college, insisted he would act. "You raised me this way. You raised me to be a good person. That’s what I’m doing,'" Castillo recalled.

Castillo said the coroner told him his son, an only child, took gunfire that would have harmed other students, according to the Denver Post.

“He cared enough about people that he would do something like that, even though it’s against my better judgment,'' Castillo told the newspaper. “I wish he had gone and hid, but that’s not his character. His character is about protecting people, helping people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kendrick-...153851051.html
    Now THERE is a REAL American hero! What are the chances Trump or anyone from his administration will recognize his brave sacrifice? I'd say slim and none since he's Latino.

====================

Democrats Struggle To Contain Impeachment Fever

Democrats say a “lawless” President Trump has triggered a “constitutional crisis.” But they’re not ready to impeach him just yet. Pelosi knows going down that road is frought with Grand Canyon sized potholes.

Alabama Lt. Governor Admits State Abortion Ban Is Direct Attempt To End Roe v. Wade

Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth also gave credit to President Trump for adding conservative judges who could make the path to overturning the landmark ruling easier. But yeah, let's hear it for keeping government out of the lives of the people.

U.S. Hikes Import Taxes On $200 Billion Of Chinese Goods

Beijing has already vowed to retaliate, escalating a battle over China’s technology ambitions and other trade strains. I've heard a report on my local all-news radio station that Beijing might be in no hurry to ink a deal, rather, they could wait out Trump in the hope he loses next year's election and negotiates with the next president instead.

I’m Exhausted From The Fear Of Existing While Black

I was learning to drive when the Sandra Bland case happened. Bland was pulled over in Texas for not signaling in time. The situation quickly escalated when she would not get out of her vehicle and the officer threatened to use a stun gun on her. Three days later? Bland was found dead in her jail cell.

This was the first time I feared the reality of being a disabled black kid in a nice car with braids down to my waist, learning to drive on Long Island. This was the first time I realized my skin color could lead me to be the next Sandra Bland.

I never got my license.

I am not afraid to be black, but I am afraid that my blackness will be seen as a target. My fear isn’t irrational. The same fear guides and directs the actions that the majority of black people take.

We all have heard the warnings from our fathers, mothers and aunties. We all know: Drive slower in the Deep South, don’t drive around primarily white areas alone at night, don’t engage with the police if you can avoid it, don’t sag your pants, don’t talk “too black,” don’t sell loosies on the corner, don’t wear a hoodie, don’t walk around your own neighborhood with Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea. Don’t. Don’t. Don’t.

Ex-GOP Lawmaker Shreds Trump Jr. Defenders: ‘Embarrassing Level Of Sycophancy’

David Jolly called out Republicans in Congress for defending the president’s son amid reports of a new subpoena. That's because those compliant Republicans are scared to death of Daddy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    To showcase the difference between Fox news and more liberal media the BBC literally sacked a radio presenter and occasional tv personality because he posted a racist tweet today.
    Well, yeah, but the BBC is the state broadcaster and it was about the Royal Family. Other people have survived similar things - Alan Sugar with his Senegal football team tweet back in 2018.

Danny Baker, I understand, has compared the Royal Family to circus animals before. I'm not saying the tweet wasn't racist - clearly it was, given the racist abuse Meghan Markle has to put up with all the time. So I'm not suggesting the BBC were wrong to fire him. What I find rather sad is that he's now going to get the support of people he despises. He doesn't exactly have a history of white nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    President Trump to Nominate Patrick Shanahan for Defense Secretary

https://yournewsnet.com/president-tr...nse-secretary/

So the president nominates a Boeing lobbyist as the US Defense Secretary? Oh well, let's see if he can score points with the Senate.
    I mean, is anyone shocked? Anyone? This is what this administration is.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Well, yeah, but the BBC is the state broadcaster and it was about the Royal Family. Other people have survived similar things - Alan Sugar with his Senegal football team tweet back in 2018.

Danny Baker, I understand, has compared the Royal Family to circus animals before. I'm not saying the tweet wasn't racist - clearly it was, given the racist abuse Meghan Markle has to put up with all the time. So I'm not suggesting the BBC were wrong to fire him. What I find rather sad is that he's now going to get the support of people he despises. He doesn't exactly have a history of white nationalism.
    I am completely baffled by Danny Baker’s action.

I’m not a fan..for me he never says or does anything interesting...but he’s been in broadcasting for decades and talked unscripted on radio for many thousands of hours. During all that time, he never came across as remotely racist, indeed he’s always come across as an essentially decent guy.

I actually believe him when he said he didn’t mean to be racist...but the level of ignorance that implies...is incredible in an experienced radio presenter. The BBC really had no option, it was right to sack him.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I feel like people for some reason want to continue believing that Europeans are more tolerant and progressive than white Americans, when there is more than enough evidence that it only appears that way because there are fewer people of color for them to interact with and not as much of a history of violent race relations to stoke the flames. However, this also means that a pretty fair chunk of them have these casually racist attitudes that nobody ever taught them was wrong.
    I’’m not sure how one measures these things..and personally I think some degree of racism is seen in every country and race there is.

But off hand I do think racism is more extreme in USA than most Western European countries. There are cases..for example..were patently innocent people were deliberately framed for serious crimes in USA...I can’t think of any obvious parallels in Western Europe. (I can think of European cases where investigation was biased...but no case where investigator deliberately framed some one purely because of their race.)

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Even if he didn't know it was racist like...why?? WHY depict the new baby as any animal? What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I am completely baffled by Danny Baker’s action.

I’m not a fan..for me he never says or does anything interesting...but he’s been in broadcasting for decades and talked unscripted on radio for many thousands of hours. During all that time, he never came across as remotely racist, indeed he’s always come across as an essentially decent guy.

I actually believe him when he said he didn’t mean to be racist...but the level of ignorance that implies...is incredible in an experienced radio presenter. The BBC really had no option, it was right to sack him.
    Yes, agreed, it is utterly baffling, and he put the BBC in an invidious position.

He issued a new statement a few hours ago, about his tweet, his mixed up reasoning, and his apology: https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...yal-baby-tweet
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-10-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I’’m not sure how one measures these things..and personally I think some degree of racism is seen in every country and race there is.

But off hand I do think racism is more extreme in USA than most Western European countries. There are cases..for example..were patently innocent people were deliberately framed for serious crimes in USA...I can’t think of any obvious parallels in Western Europe. (I can think of European cases where investigation was biased...but no case where investigator deliberately framed some one purely because of their race.)
    The Dreyfus affair. Europe may not have the history of racism that America has, but they sure do have a long history of antisemitism.

Invincible Member

Frankly, this is why I think that calling out Republicans for being racist is a bit counterproductive these days. It's clear that none of them actually mind that label, and if anything they wear it as a badge of honor for successfully owning the libs or some other nonsense. Instead, we need to start hitting them where it actually hurts them, exposing them for being weak, insecure, wholly un-alpha losers. Maybe punching Richard Spencer wasn't called for, but it did successfully banish him from the public sphere for good, because once his supporters saw him getting clocked by some beta lib cuck and not even retaliate in kind, it killed whatever credibility he had with his supporters.
    I see kind of differently. Getting punched on camera was the best thing to ever happen to Spenser. Not that many regular people knew who he was before that clip went viral. And instead of destroying Richard's credibility, it gave the alt-lite, alt-right, and anti-SJW crowd the opportunity to spin this narrative of "The Left" as a violent intolerant mob. "See, we just want to discuss ideas calmly, they want to censor people by force!"

More or less. Without the violence or the in-living-memory slavery issues its not as bad just awkward and more about class and generic "Foreign" ness then explicit colour. At least now.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I see kind of differently. Getting punched on camera was the best thing to ever happen to Spenser. Not that many regular people knew who he was before that clip went viral. And instead of destroying Richard's credibility, it gave the alt-lite, alt-right, and anti-SJW crowd the opportunity to spin this narrative of "The Left" as a violent intolerant mob. "See, we just want to discuss ideas calmly, they want to censor people by force!"
    That ideology is horseshit though, you cant calmly talk about Genocide.
    Last edited by jetengine; 05-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Even if he didn't know it was racist like...why?? WHY depict the new baby as any animal? What's the point?
    Maybe he did what did for the same reason shock jocks say crazy ****....to get a rise out of listeners and notoriety for himself. I never heard of this guy before today, so while I can’t assume he’s a racist, I can say with complete conviction that he was a colossal smacked ass.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented profiles of Arizona State Senator Judy Burges, who we noted in her early career, was a key defender of fellow Arizona state legislator Barbara Blewster, whose litany of racist, homophobic, and ignorant comments were dismissed by Burges who assured everyone Blewster had “impeccable moral character, integrity and honesty”. Once Barack Obama got elected president back in 2008, though, Burges went off the deep end, telling local newspapers her belief that the president was secretly a Muslim, and submitting a bill to try and force him to release his long form birth certificate from Hawaii (which he did anyway). Burgess was also a co-sponsor of Arizona’s controversial law SB 1070, which allowed law enforcement to racially profile Hispanic citizens as potential illegal immigrants, as well as sponsoring several nullification bills in the past few years. Those sorts of legislative ideas made her a chief ally of the super-racist Maricopa County Sheriff, Joe Arpaio, as well as the co-founder of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps militia group, Chris Simcox, who she endorsed as a challenger to Sen. John McCain in the 2010 elections (apparently unaware that Simcox was a child molester, but aware that he was a racist anti-government pyschopath). When Cliven Bundy and his militia buddies in the Oath Keepers were having an armed standoff with the Bureau of Land Management, Burges was one of several Arizona state legislators to caravan up to Nevada to meet the “hero” Bundy, and she even went on to endorse Oath Keepers co-founder Richard Mack in his bid to become sheriff of Navajo County, Arizona (in spite of Mack talking about using women at the standoff as human shields). Burges has also campaigned hard against the implementation of the United Nations’ Agenda 21 Environmental Treaty, insisting that it’s a secret communist plot to set up a new world order. Rounding out her legislative priorities, she has submitted bills to require gold and silver be accepted as legal tender in Arizona, teach creationism or argue against climate change in Arizona schools, voted to drug test welfare recipients, and voted against expanding Medicaid in Arizona. Burges also supported SB 1468, a bill Arizona Republicans made in impotent rage after not being able to block Syrian refugees from being resettled in Arizona. So what does the bill do? Well, it targeted the charities that help resettle refugees, threatening to fine them $1,000 for each refugee they helped. You read that right… Judy Burges and the Republican Party, the supposed party of “Christian values” wanted to fine charities (citing a Catholic one in particular) for helping refugees. Her quote from February 2017: Lastly, we have to report on Judy Burges’ loony e-mail exchange with an 82-year old Scottsdale woman, a widow who worked on political campaigns, and was opposed to HB 2404, a bill that would have changed the pay scale for those who gather signatures for political campaigns… rather than be paid by the hour, they would only be paid by the signature. Burges responses began earnestly enough, but quickly devolved into accusing her constituent of working for Bill and Hillary Clinton, before just flat out name calling and saying she must be a “paid troll”. During a teacher’s strike in 2018 in Arizona, she’s sent insulting messages to teachers who contacted her, and daring them to vote her out of office in the fall. Which they probably would have, had Judy Burges faced term limits in 2018. She seems unlikely to be moving to any higher office at her advanced age, and general insanity. As such, we’ll retire her CSGOPOTD profile at this time and go ahead and take a look at a different kooky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 751-40, since this was established in July 2014.)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.