Page 531 of 667 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581631 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,965 of 10004
  1. #7951
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Swing voters tend to swing because they want things to change. What we saw in 2018 would seem to indicate that we'll keep most of them anyway and they'll vote blue. What's important is to put a candidate forward that can win, whatever that means as we get closer.

    But don't think "socialist" won't be an effective attack. The Democrats will have to have an effective counter-attack. My opinion? Have those Republican quotes about ripping away social security and medicaid ready to go EVERY TIME they use it.
    Except nobody can accurately predict who's going to win a presidential race. 'Electability' is a myth. John Kerry, Mitt Romney, and Hillary Clinton all won their party's primary because they were seen as the most electable. So tell me, where'd that get them?

  2. #7952
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Except nobody can accurately predict who's going to win a presidential race. 'Electability' is a myth. John Kerry, Mitt Romney, and Hillary Clinton all won their party's primary because they were seen as the most electable. So tell me, where'd that get them?
    Hillary lost to Obama and Trump because she is NOT electable.

    The vox article is pretty thorough, I would suggest reading it and I would add this: 2018 was a chance for the myth purveyors to prove their thesis. It failed. Swing voters and moderates delivered the house. As long as the evidence is overwhelmingly in that camp, that's where I stand. Republicans gotta lose, screw the pixie dust myths progressives try to wish into reality.

    In 2020 there will be more chances to prove progressives can win Senate seats or governorships. The mythical base needs to show up, then I will listen to that argument.

  3. #7953
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Let's remember something. The right wing radio mouthpieces and FOX News will paint WHOEVER the Democratic nominee is as a socialist. Even Joe Biden. They will remind us every day that he stood by Obama for eight years and didn't speak out against any of Obama's "far left" policies. Not only that, but at least one of them (probably Laura Ingraham) will remind the evangelicals that Biden was the one who got Obama to change his mind on gay marriage. Make no mistake, even the most moderate candidate will be painted as "far left" by those in right wing media.

  4. #7954
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Hillary lost to Obama and Trump because she is NOT electable.

    The vox article is pretty thorough, I would suggest reading it and I would add this: 2018 was a chance for the myth purveyors to prove their thesis. It failed. Swing voters and moderates delivered the house. As long as the evidence is overwhelmingly in that camp, that's where I stand. Republicans gotta lose, screw the pixie dust myths progressives try to wish into reality.

    In 2020 there will be more chances to prove progressives can win Senate seats or governorships. The mythical base needs to show up, then I will listen to that argument.
    I am still amazed that people don't remember that she won by 3 million votes and the results in WI and MI were suspect to say the least. Not to mention other States like OH and NC. That plus the Russians, saying "she lost" is ignoring what happened.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  5. #7955
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,879

    Default

    Israel accused of planting mysterious spy devices near the White House

    The U.S. government concluded within the last two years that Israel was most likely behind the placement of cell-phone surveillance devices that were found near the White House and other sensitive locations around Washington, D.C., according to three former senior U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.

    But unlike most other occasions when flagrant incidents of foreign spying have been discovered on American soil, the Trump administration did not rebuke the Israeli government, and there were no consequences for Israel’s behavior, one of the former officials said.

    The miniature surveillance devices, colloquially known as “StingRays,” mimic regular cell towers to fool cell phones into giving them their locations and identity information. Formally called international mobile subscriber identity-catchers or IMSI-catchers, they also can capture the contents of calls and data use.

    The devices were likely intended to spy on President Donald Trump, one of the former officials said, as well as his top aides and closest associates -- though it’s not clear whether the Israeli efforts were successful.

    President Trump is reputed to be lax in observing White House security protocols. POLITICO reported in May 2018 that the president often used an insufficiently secured cell phone to communicate with friends and confidants. The New York Times subsequently reported in October 2018 that “Chinese spies are often listening” to Trump’s cell-phone calls, prompting the president to slam the story as “so incorrect I do not have time here to correct it.” (A former official said Trump has had his cell phone hardened against intrusion.)
    **********

    'Simply unacceptable': 145 executives demand Senate action on gun violence

    In a direct and urgent call to address gun violence in America, the chief executives of some of the nation’s best-known companies sent a letter to Senate leaders on Thursday, urging an expansion of background checks to all firearms sales and stronger “red flag” laws.

    “Doing nothing about America’s gun violence crisis is simply unacceptable and it is time to stand with the American public on gun safety,” the heads of 145 companies, including Levi Strauss, Twitter and Uber, say in the letter, which was shared with The New York Times.

    The letter — which urges the Republican-controlled Senate to enact bills already introduced in the Democrat-led House of Representatives — is the most concerted effort by the business community to enter the gun debate, one of the most polarizing issues in the nation and one that was long considered off limits.

    The debate and the decision to sign — or not sign — are a case study in how chief executives must weigh their own views and the political risks to their businesses.

    “To a certain extent, these C.E.O.s are putting their businesses on the line here, given how politically charged this is,” said Chip Bergh, chief executive of Levi Strauss, a company whose denim jeans have long been a symbol of America. Mr. Bergh spent the last several days trying to cajole his peers into joining him and gun control advocates like Everytown, which is funded in part by Michael Bloomberg. “Business leaders are not afraid to get engaged now,” he added. “C.E.O.s are wired to take action on things that are going to impact their business and gun violence is impacting everybody’s business now.”
    **********

    Trump Administration to Finalize Rollback of Clean Water Protections

    The Trump administration on Thursday is expected to complete the legal repeal of a major Obama-era clean water regulation, which had placed limits on polluting chemicals that could be used near streams, wetlands and water bodies.

    The rollback of the 2015 measure, known as the Waters of the United States rule, has been widely expected since the early days of the Trump administration, when President Trump signed an executive order directing federal agencies to begin the work of repealing and replacing it.

    Weakening the Obama-era water rule had been a central campaign pledge for Mr. Trump, who characterized it as a federal land-grab that impinged on the rights of farmers, rural landowners and real estate developers to use their property as they see fit.

    Environmentalists say Mr. Trump’s push to loosen clean-water regulations represents an assault on the nation’s streams and wetlands at a moment when Mr. Trump has repeatedly declared his commitment to “crystal-clean water.”
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #7956

    Default

    On this date in 2014, CSGOPOTD looked at Trey Radel, also known as “The Cocaine Congressman”, because he was busted in his home district in Florida with said Bolivian Marching Powder. As if earning that nickname weren’t enough, we also noted that Trey Radel was a big proponent of drug testing welfare recipients, because those mooches drawing government paychecks were totally spending it on drugs (meanwhile, he had a six-figure Congressional salary and was spending it on drugs). He resigned in disgrace, and has avoided politics since that resignation.



    In 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" featured a profile of the U.S. House Representative from Virginia’s 7th District, Dave Brat, the man who upset House Minority Whip Eric Cantor in the 2014 GOP Primary for his seat, sending the incumbent packing and setting a record for toppling the highest ranking incumbent Congressman out of office in the history of the United States. Which is kind of scary, considering Brat is a Christian Reconstructionalist who cites 16th Century theologian John Calvin as an influence on his opinions of capitalism, he campaigned with ALIPAC, an anti-immigrant hate group, denies climate change and says there are scientists who say we’re undergoing “global cooling”, he disputes the separation of church and state, and claims that ISIS has already set up bases in the United States in Texas. Brat has also argued against the DREAM Act or any immigration reform, believing it would lead to “the decline of Western civilization”, and suggested that the Republicans should engineer another Government Shutdown if Planned Parenthood is not defunded.

    Brat has mostly been careful about shooting his mouth off since he got into office, but still does have lapses. He called into conservative radio talk show host Sandy Rios’ show in January 2016, to rant about how President Obama made light of the GOP’s efforts to sabotage plans to provide refuge for Syrian refugees who were primarily orphans and widows, rambling in impotent rage at the implication he was cowardly (because he is):
    Last month President Obama started MOCKING Republicans and saying we were scared of orphans and widows. Well, people in the tradition know what that word means, right? That’s one of Jesus, he commands, take care of the [unintelligible, not English] the widows and orphans. Again, commands! But he is using the Christian tradition and he’s trying to bring about compassion by bonking Republicans over the head with the Bible. It’s almost a comedy routine on what compassion and love is. He’s mocking his enemies in order to compel a larger federal state using the tradition of love.”
    Yeah, don’t you ever quote the parts of the Bible at Dave Brat that he knows but chooses to ignore out of political convenience, like the parts about helping the poor, and refugees! (You may now roll your eyes.) Speaking of which, in August of 2016, Brat went back on Rios’ show to say that even criticizing policies that solely benefit billionaires (like what little Donald Trump has pitched economically), even the mere talk of opposing those policies “undermines American values.

    But Sandy Rios isn’t the only loon in conservative media who Dave Brat likes to hang out with. He also spends time with Alex Jones over at InfoWars, appearing on an episode back in June of 2016 and agreeing with Jones’ bald-faced lie that the Muslim mayor of London was instituting Sharia Law, and that President Obama and liberals had “allied with Islam”. Rep. Brat also praised the United Kingdon’s “Brexit” vote to leave the European Union, saying the now could “go back to restoring their culture” and restore “Judeo-Christian tradition. Which is an interestingly bigoted point of view on the topic that sounds like white nationalism to us, frankly.

    Rep. Brat is deranged. Make no mistake, as was exhibited in an interview with NBC News’ Katy Tur back in March of 2017, where during a discussion on Donald Trump’s claims that “President Obama did wire tapps on Trump Tower”, he began trying to first claim people should wait for evidence to be presented (he was corrected that James Comey said there was zero evidence), then tried claiming the White House had walked back those remarks, and then, when Tur started correcting him, he went completely insane and started volunteering conspiracy theories about the Clinton Foundation on the fly, because saying bad things about Hillary Clinton is the only reflexive response Trump supporters like Brat seem to have, and rambling about “fake news”. (Incidentally, Katy Tur is awesome.)

    A few months later, Brat went on CNN, and when asked about how Donald Trump started attacking his own Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, Congressman Brat had an interesting take on why that was happening… he said it was the media’s fault. THEY MADE TRUMP DO IT.

    Dave Brat was not looking forward to meeting angry constituents as the new session of Congress began in January of 2017, complaining about “women are in my grilL no matter where I go” to constituents who were friendlier to him. He eventually did host a one hour town hall the next month where he was mocked and jeered by those in attendance as he talked about repealing the Affordable Care Act, which would leave tens of millions of people without health insurance, partially because he only took questions submitted via note cards so his aides could pre-screen them and refused to let anyone in the audience ask them themselves. Still, he didn’t like the jeering and booing, so he hosted his next town hall with those same restrictions… at a church. And this time, they would pre-screen attendees by issuing tickets to attendees online.

    Virginia’s 7th Congressional District only has a +6 Republican lean, and while someone reasonable like Eric Cantor would likely survive a mid-term election there after his party won the White House two years prior, Dave Brat was booted from office when Election Day 2018 rolled around byformer CIA officer Abigail Spanbergerven after Brat pulled out every dirty trick in politics you can think of, from posting fake campaign sides misrepresenting her stances on the issues, and trying to get dirt by having her CIA personnel file acquired by a conservative PAC and released to the public (in included her social security number and medical history). While this might not seem like a big deal to a lot folks… this is in a Virginia district that is home to many members of the American intelligence community, and they don’t take confidential information being politicized by idiots lightly.

    Dave Brat only mustered 48% of the vote in that conservative-leaning district, and at this time, we would like to wish him our finest “GOOD RIDDANCE” salutes. 
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  7. #7957
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Except nobody can accurately predict who's going to win a presidential race. 'Electability' is a myth. John Kerry, Mitt Romney, and Hillary Clinton all won their party's primary because they were seen as the most electable. So tell me, where'd that get them?
    This is exactly what worries me. I tend to give polling the skunk eye when it comes to elections. Sometimes a party ends up shooting itself in the foot when choosing their candidate. Primaries are a tricky thing too. People tend to ignore them and don't show up at the polls. I really don't pay much attention to the Indiana one for example. Since it comes in May, the race for the party nomination is practically over. I feel like we've had no say at all for quite a while now, esp with some states moving their election dates up over the years.

  8. #7958
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,617

    Default

    Trump sides with North Korean leader — again.

    "I don’t blame Kim Jong Un."
    ... if Obama had done it...
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  9. #7959
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Trump continues kissing Kim's pudgy ass in the faint hope he can sweet talk Rocketman into giving up his nukes, thus earning him his place in the history books, and that Nobel Prize he longs for. Of course, everybody BUT Dolt45 knows the only way Kim will denuclearize is over his dead body. Meanwhile, silence from the GOP, as usual, but yeah, they would've gone ballistic if Obama even considered getting cozy with Kim.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  10. #7960
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Hillary lost to Obama and Trump because she is NOT electable.

    The vox article is pretty thorough, I would suggest reading it and I would add this: 2018 was a chance for the myth purveyors to prove their thesis. It failed. Swing voters and moderates delivered the house. As long as the evidence is overwhelmingly in that camp, that's where I stand. Republicans gotta lose, screw the pixie dust myths progressives try to wish into reality.

    In 2020 there will be more chances to prove progressives can win Senate seats or governorships. The mythical base needs to show up, then I will listen to that argument.
    Comparing local midterm elections to a presidential race is disingenuous at best

  11. #7961
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Hillary lost to Obama and Trump because she is NOT electable.

    The vox article is pretty thorough, I would suggest reading it and I would add this: 2018 was a chance for the myth purveyors to prove their thesis. It failed. Swing voters and moderates delivered the house. As long as the evidence is overwhelmingly in that camp, that's where I stand. Republicans gotta lose, screw the pixie dust myths progressives try to wish into reality.

    In 2020 there will be more chances to prove progressives can win Senate seats or governorships. The mythical base needs to show up, then I will listen to that argument.
    Historically more Democrats vote in presidential elections than midterms, and the gap between them is much larger with Democrats than with Republicans.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  12. #7962
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Comparing local midterm elections to a presidential race is disingenuous at best
    Was Andrew Gilliam a "local midterm"? I can name more from 2018 if you'd like. And....local midterm wins like AOC get used by the myth purveyors all the time! The ONLY examples of your myth that exist are "local midterms".
    If thats your argument...take a look in the mirror.

    Read the vox article. It uses data as opposed to self-service as a basis for a conclusion. I will repeat: I want Republican losses. You get those unicorns to the ballots for someone -anyone! - at a governor/senator level and I will agree with you its worth investing in. But it hasnt happened...pretty much ever. Until then, the myth side of this is literally evident.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 09-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.

  13. #7963
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,419

    Default

    We still have to deal with the horrible electoral college system so at the end of the day it all comes down to who undecided voters in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan want to be president. The rest of our opinions don’t matter. Most of the “progressive left” voters I’m willing to bet are on the coasts. Biden has pretty much been running as President of the Swing States. It may be a good strategy.

    The polling in 2016 was actually pretty accurate. Nationally it had Clinton winning 51% to 49%. Which she did. But we aren’t working with a popular vote system.

  14. #7964
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    We still have to deal with the horrible electoral college system so at the end of the day it all comes down to who undecided voters in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan want to be president. The rest of our opinions don’t matter. Most of the “progressive left” voters I’m willing to bet are on the coasts. Biden has pretty much been running as President of the Swing States. It may be a good strategy.

    The polling in 2016 was actually pretty accurate. Nationally it had Clinton winning 51% to 49%. Which she did. But we aren’t working with a popular vote system.
    We are 1-3 election cycles away from the EC being moot due to population sizes in big cities in every state.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #7965

    Default

    Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax is suing CBS for $400,000,000 for interviewing two women who accused him of sexual assault.

    Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) on Thursday filed a $400 million defamation lawsuit against CBS Corp. and CBS Broadcasting in New York, accusing the organization of publishing false statements from two women who accused him of sexual assault.

    The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Virginia's Eastern District, came in response to CBS interviews with the accusers the network conducted in February.

    "Fairfax brings this action to restore his reputation and clear his name, ensure the truth prevails, stop the weaponization of false allegations of sexual assault against him, and vindicate his rights under civil law," the lawsuit says.

    Fairfax has denied the accusations made by Vanessa Tyson and Meredith Watson. Tyson says Fairfax forced her to perform oral sex on him at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

    Watson, who said Fairfax raped her while they attended Duke University, came forward in an interview with CBS's Gayle King.

    The women went public with their accusations after many called on Gov. Ralph Northam (D) to resign after a photo from his medical school yearbook page resurfaced showing people in blackface. If Northam had resigned, Fairfax would have become governor.

    "We stand by our reporting and we will vigorously defend this lawsuit," CBS News said in a statement to The Hill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •