Page 203 of 667 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A distinction between your scenario and the Pocahontas comments is that Pocahontas was an actual person. A comparison would be if Rachel Dolezal (or someone who did what she did but had less African-American DNA) was elected to statewide office, and was referred to Harriet Tubman by conservative opponents. The knock isn't against the historical figure, but against someone who grew up as a white person who has a particular eccentricity.

As for McConnell, I still think he figures he's correct, that the obstruction is for justified means. The 9/11 Victims Compensation bill might be one of the most controversial recent actions, although that fund was supposed to last longer but then faced an unexpected spike in claims, which suggests earlier errors in calculating costs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/911-vic...-out-of-money/
    1: It's still a slur Mets, continuing to use it and defend it's use should be against the rules of this forum. I don't see anyone that's not partisan as all get out claiming that it's anything but a racial slur. Please stop!

2: Whenever the 9/11 Fund will run out or not, the fact that McConnell is holding those people hostage is despicable and in no way benefit the country - It is no excuse for it. That you can't seem to think anything other than this guy is just honestly trying his best for the USA with all this is more revealing of your actual beliefs than practically anything else I've read you post on these forums. Trump is not the whole of what is wrong with your party, and the people who are supporting him most (Mitch included) aren't doing it to better the country which he's harming with every new BS tariff, deregulation (Phili's Oil Refinery says hi!) and each camp they deny fellow human beings access to basic things like Soap and stuff other than concrete to sleep on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think for a lot of these guys, running for president is just about building a slush fund, unfortunately.
    This has to be true for anyone who announced their run the same week as Joe Biden.

I think for a lot of these guys, running for president is just about building a slush fund, unfortunately.
    I think you're right. It may be they're trying to build up their national name recognition along with their status within the party by bringing in a higher than normal contribution amount from lobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Of course they are. It's ridiculous to argue they aren't.
    I'd like to believe that's the case, but history indicates otherwise. Until campaign finance laws change, it's safer to assume everyone in Washington is in the pocket of their highest donor.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think you're right. It may be they're trying to build up their national name recognition along with their status within the party by bringing in a higher than normal contribution amount from lobbyists.

I'd like to believe that's the case, but history indicates otherwise. Until campaign finance laws change, it's safer to assume everyone in Washington is in the pocket of their highest donor.
    That's awfully close to yelling "both sides" and I know you know better.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

(What?)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    No, ChadH was exactly right there.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Oh please....I know YOU know better. I'm just enough of a cynic to not believe every Democrat in Washington is a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No, ChadH was exactly right there.
    See, even 30 thinks I'm right and he argues with everybody.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-24-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Oh please....I know YOU know better. I'm just enough of a cynic to not believe every Democrat in Washington isn't a saint.
    Not Every Dem is Beholden vs Practically Every GoPer seems to be the breakdown, though I could be mistaken.

While I couldn't say to more recent times, he did have 1 or 2 posters who he never disagreed with and who seemed to echo his opinions and statements surprisingly often.

Beto, I liked you even if I thought your run for the white house was premature. Why did you do this to yourself?

Beto O'Rourke proposes 'war tax' as part of veterans' plan

O'Rourke is in Tampa on Monday for a veterans' roundtable, where he is expected to discuss his plan for the first time. It comes before the Democratic field holds its first debate Wednesday and Thursday nights in Miami.

O'Rourke is also calling for an end to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with half the money currently being spent there redirected to programs for veterans of those wars.

Money collected through the "war tax" -- which he is proposing for future wars -- would go into a new trust fund for veterans established at the outset of each war.

Households making less than $30,000 per year would pay $25; those making less than $40,000 would pay $57; those making less than $50,000 would pay $98; those making less than $75,000 would pay $164; those making less than $100,000 would pay $270; those making less than $200,000 would pay $485; and those making more than $200,000 would pay $1,000.

"This new tax would serve as a reminder of the incredible sacrifice made by those who serve and their families," O'Rourke's plan says.

I'm still leaning towards Warren, not that I expect her to win, but because I would to have someone with her intelligence in the White House. I'll make my decision after the debates.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm still leaning towards Warren, not that I expect her to win, but because I would to have someone with her intelligence in the White House. I'll make my decision after the debates.
    Warren is the one I favor the most right now, considering what she's been doing since she declared months ago. Whoever comes to teh top, I hope they are willing to confront the opposition rather than get slapped in the face trying to appease them once more. That doesn't work with the Modern GoP who is more interested in purity than governing.

Oh please....I know YOU know better. I'm just enough of a cynic to not believe every Democrat in Washington isn't a saint.

Honestly, it's not even cynicism.

The reality is just that most folks in Congress are there as a career as opposed to being there to serve the voters. Are there a handful that are there primarily to be public servants? Sure. It's just not the case for most of the people there.

As for where this started(the idea that folks should take a potentially career hobbling crack at serving the people's interest in the Senate...), it's probably not going to happen. I certainly don't see a large number of politicians running in that direction. Particularly when there isn't much in it for them when they will do it.

WBE gets to retire a profile:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/j...fice-gop-texas

Texas state Rep. Jonathan Stickland, a Republican firebrand who recently called vaccinations “sorcery,” has announced that he won’t seek reelection.

“Eight years was enough for George Washington, and it certainly is for me,” he posted on Facebook, per the Austin-American Statesman. “After much prayerful consideration and reflection, I have determined it is not the Lord’s will for me to seek re-election.”

Stickland has long had an affinity for controversy, calling a doctor a “brainwashed commie” during his online tiff over vaccinations.

He also pushed a bill for un-permitted open carry, seen as the extreme final frontier for gun rights.

A couple years ago, he hung a plaque outside of his office identifying himself as a “former fetus.”

He narrowly won reelection in 2018, drawing eyes to his district as a possible flip.

I suspect he knows the gig is up in 2020 with a presidential election turn out.

Here’s a list of organizations that are mobilizing to help the influx of immigrants crossing the Texas-Mexico border

(Note: This article originally ran in 2018 as controversy surrounded the separation of families crossing the U.S.-Mexico border. It has been updated in June 2019 amid growing reports about substandard conditions inside facilities holding immigrants.)