Page 422 of 667 FirstFirst ... 322372412418419420421422423424425426432472522 ... LastLast
Results 6,316 to 6,330 of 10005
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

iMan 42s

1. Statistically how many of them are premeditated murderers? What about people who come from sperm banks, adoptions, other marriages, come out of Lesbian families, or god forbid things don't work out and or they didn't like the father to begin with. Sometimes Dad is a piece of **** and you need to move on. How many of those children are premeditated murderers?
    2. Guns improperly put together can be explosive, the ammunition can be explosive. Guns by their very Nature are explosive to propel a bullet. I know that's a little pedantic, but guns are only not treated as explosives because of how they're used. A Grenade launcher is a firearm. By that guy's statement you could just as easily pick it up and since it's classified also as a firearm, you could go ham with it. Just because it's a tube that fires one shrapnel at a time does not change the fact that it's dangerous and meant to be dangerous.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If so, it would be really dumb for him to push a Hitler reference using the flag at half mast.
    what does he have to lose? there will always be just enough doubt for some dumb dumb to defend it. some people are obsessed with denying the existence of obvious racism.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    1. Statistically how many of them are premeditated murderers? What about people who come from sperm banks, adoptions, other marriages, come out of Lesbian families, or god forbid things don't work out and or they didn't like the father to begin with. Sometimes Dad is a piece of **** and you need to move on. How many of those children are premeditated murderers?
    2. Guns improperly put together can be explosive, the ammunition can be explosive. Guns by their very Nature are explosive to propel a bullet. I know that's a little pedantic, but guns are only not treated as explosives because of how they're used. A Grenade launcher is a firearm. By that guy's statement you could just as easily pick it up and since it's classified also as a firearm, you could go ham with it. Just because it's a tube that fires one shrapnel at a time does not change the fact that it's dangerous and meant to be dangerous.
    It requires a lot more planning to kill people (especially LOTS of people) with a bomb. Plus, there isn't a 2nd amendment protecting explosives - the police are almost certain to stop you if you are carrying an armful of explosives with you. The danger is lower with them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

DOJ Sides With Trump In Effort To Block House From Investigating His Finances

Echoing arguments made by personal attorneys for President Trump, the Justice Department weighed in Tuesday on Trump’s side in his bid to halt a congressional probe of his finances.

Trump took the unprecedented step of hiring personal attorneys to try to halt a subpoena issued by the House Oversight Committee seeking financial records from his longtime accountant, Mazars USA LLP.

Accusing House Democrats of issuing “sweeping subpoenas purportedly justified by vague incantations of hypothetical legislative purposes,” DOJ attorneys argued in the Tuesday filing that the subpoena “raises significant separation-of-powers issues.”
    The DOJ filing is the first time the Trump Administration has taken a position in court on the President’s bid to halt Congress’ investigations of himself. The Justice Department filed its brief after the DC appeals court asked it to during oral arguments in the case last month. The judges wondered aloud why the government had not taken a position on the matter.

The government’s position, it turns out, echoes that of Trump’s, suggesting that the House had failed to define a legislative purpose for its investigation

The DOJ said that the subpoena – issued as part of an investigation into whether Trump misstated his finances or is susceptible to untoward influence – “is in practical effect no different from one served on the President.”

Even though the subpoena itself went to Trump’s accounting firm, and not he himself, “he would not personally compile the requested documents even if he were the subpoena’s recipient.”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what does he have to lose? there will always be just enough doubt for some dumb dumb to defend it. some people are obsessed with denying the existence of obvious racism.
    There's an obsession with "plausible deniability" at work within the Republican party: racism is okay so long as you aren't too overt about it, which is something Miller, Gorka, and other known nationalists and supremacists aren't too concerned with as they want to bring that to the forefront of the party via Trump, and to win future elections on that basis with the help of voter fraud, foreign interference and (most importantly due to demographic shifts) minority voter suppression.

Even with their icon Reagan calling Africans "monkeys" on tape, many will still try to pretend it's "crazy" to suggest that Republicans have a serious issue with racism and white nationalism within the party -- they'd rather double down on racism and homophobia than engage in serious outreach towards non-white and LGBT American citizens.

It's completely ridiculous, yet it's also one of the greatest dangers to our democracy that we will face going forward as an increasingly diverse nation.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-07-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Ultimate Member

"Trump's tariffs have cost US businesses $3.4 billion in June"

"As President Donald Trump doubles down on tariff threats against China, the price tag of the year-long trade war is climbing for U.S. businesses.

U.S. importers have paid $6 billion in tariffs in June, a 74% jump compared to a year ago, despite a slight decline in the value of imports. And $3.4 billion of that total came from tariffs imposed by President Trump. This is according to research released on Wednesday by the business coalition “Tariffs Hurt the Heartland” in conjunction with The Trade Partnership, a Washington-based trade and economic consulting firm.

The June data highlights the first full month’s impact of Trump raising tariffs on $250 million worth of Chinese goods to 25% from 10% on May 10.

“June was our biggest month yet there in terms of punitive tariffs made,” said Dan Anthony, vice president at The Trade Partnership.

Trump said imposing tariffs is a tactic to get the Chinese side to the negotiating table earlier. As the trade talks drag on, he uses it to pressure the Chinese to make compromises, although Beijing has repeatedly said it won’t “negotiate with a gun pointed to its head”.

U.S. importers are legally responsible for paying the tariffs as the goods reach American ports. Some importers say they are able to mitigate the previous 10% tariffs due to the devaluation of the Chinese currency yuan. But with a 25% tariff, they have to pass along some costs, eventually to the consumers. In some cases, Chinese suppliers offer a lower price to stay competitive.

Since the beginning of the trade war in 2018, American taxpayers have paid over $27 billion in extra import tariffs, according to The Trade Partnership’s analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data. And the cost will only pile up from here, as Trump threats to impose 10% tariffs on the rest of $300 billion worth of Chinese products starting September 1.

China has hit back by stopping the purchase of U.S. agricultural products."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...093529310.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Good sir, I'm offended by your post. Caligula was far more insane than Trump. Trump is an amateur at insane antics compared to the great Caligula how dare you!
    To be fair, Caligula was universally beloved by the Roman people upon his accession and spent the first few months of his reign embarking on badly needed infrastructure improvements and political reforms. It wasn't until he suffered a major mental breakdown that all of the crazy stuff started, and it's likely that most of the stories were exaggerated by his successors to demonize him and put their own reigns in a better light. Trump can make no such claim, he's just been a worthless cretin his whole life and whenever people wise up to his act he just moves onto the next group of more gullible rubes, but given the kind of people he's speaking to these days, I'm not sure if he has any lower to go.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Which brings up this question which I've asked scores of times: What the hell is in Trump's tax records/finances that he's gone to go to such extraordinary lengths to keep hidden? The reporter that could dig up that story would be a mortal lock for a Pulitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    There's an obsession with "plausible deniability" at work within the Republican party: racism is okay so long as you aren't too overt about it, which is something Miller, Gorka, and other known nationalists and supremacists aren't too concerned with as they want to bring that to the forefront of the party via Trump, and to win future elections on that basis with the help of voter fraud, foreign interference and (most importantly due to demographic shifts) minority voter suppression.

Even with their icon Reagan calling Africans "monkeys" on tape, many will still try to pretend it's "crazy" to suggest that Republicans have a serious issue with racism and white nationalism within the party -- they'd rather double down on racism and homophobia than engage in serious outreach towards non-white and LGBT American citizens.

It's completely ridiculous, yet it's also one of the greatest dangers to our democracy that we will face going forward as an increasingly diverse nation.
    And diversity is what scares the Republican Party to death, and, as that old idiom goes, people hate what they fear. Conservatives and right wingers have been unable to even tolerate, much less accept an increasingly diverse America because that threatens the country's longstanding hierarchy which has had whites at the top of the food chain from day one of the country's existence. But now, with minorities, gays and, yes, women demanding their place at in the upper reaches of America's societal strata, angry Republicans are pushing back in the most insidious, hateful and destructive ways to keep down anyone who isn't white, male, rich, god fearing and gun loving. With Trump as their champion and standard bearer, Republicans are fighting like crazy to stay on top and will torch the Constitution itself to that end.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    With Trump as their champion and standard bearer, Republicans are fighting like crazy to stay on top and will torch the Constitution itself to that end.
    The irony is that Obama is one of the best presidents we've had in recent history while both Bush and Trump will likely go down as two of the worst.

This is why arguing facts with Republicans often doesn't matter -- it's not about what's best for the country, it's about retaining power by any means necessary.

Retired

My parents both served in the Canadian army during World War II. My father was a paratrooper and went overseas to Europe. My mother was stationed in Ottawa and trained other men that went overseas. They both lost many loved ones in the war. My Uncle Jim served in the tank corps and came home without most of his stomach because the stress had given him bleeding ulcers, so the army surgeons took out most of his stomach. My Uncle Pete was hit by a bursting shell and had shrapnel throughout his body, which left him bald (a plate in his head) and sterile and he died in his seventies when a piece of the shrapnel they couldn't remove had worked its way to his heart.

I always believed that my parents, their family and their friends fought for a noble cause, ridding the world of fascism and racism. There were many Americans that joined them in this effort. I thought that the Americans held the same values as my parents, those values that my parents taught me and my siblings--to love thy neighbour, to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, to be kind, not to judge people by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character. I believed this was just as true of Republicans as Democrats and the U.S.A. went to war against Hitler because, as a people, they believed der Fuhrer's cause was evil and their cause was just.

Don't many of today's Americans have parents, grandparents and great grandparents who fought against the Nazis, who fought against racism? How do they square their actions now with the values that those brave people lived and died to protect? It's like I don't even know who Americans are anymore. Maybe I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    To be fair, Caligula was universally beloved by the Roman people upon his accession and spent the first few months of his reign embarking on badly needed infrastructure improvements and political reforms. It wasn't until he suffered a major mental breakdown that all of the crazy stuff started, and it's likely that most of the stories were exaggerated by his successors to demonize him and put their own reigns in a better light. Trump can make no such claim, he's just been a worthless cretin his whole life and whenever people wise up to his act he just moves onto the next group of more gullible rubes, but given the kind of people he's speaking to these days, I'm not sure if he has any lower to go.
    Plus, Caligula's father was the Roman equivalent of a war hero.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My parents both served in the Canadian army during World War II. My father was a paratrooper and went overseas to Europe. My mother was stationed in Ottawa and trained other men that went overseas. They both lost many loved ones in the war. My Uncle Jim served in the tank corps and came home without most of his stomach because the stress had given him bleeding ulcers, so the army surgeons took out most of his stomach. My Uncle Pete was hit by a bursting shell and had shrapnel throughout his body, which left him bald (a plate in his head) and sterile and he died in his seventies when a piece of the shrapnel they couldn't remove had worked its way to his heart.

I always believed that my parents, their family and their friends fought for a noble cause, ridding the world of fascism and racism. There were many Americans that joined them in this effort. I thought that the Americans held the same values as my parents, those values that my parents taught me and my siblings--to love thy neighbour, to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, to be kind, not to judge people by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character. I believed this was just as true of Republicans as Democrats and the U.S.A. went to war against Hitler because, as a people, they believed der Fuhrer's cause was evil and their cause was just.

Don't many of today's Americans have parents, grandparents and great grandparents who fought against the Nazis, who fought against racism? How do they square their actions now with the values that those brave people lived and died to protect? It's like I don't even know who Americans are anymore. Maybe I never did.
    When my granparents finally all passed, my family lost thier connections to to the people that kept them free from the Nazis.

One half of my family is Jewish by way of fleeing Germany (that grandpa joined the Navy to gain citizenship to fight the people that killed his parents and only sibling, also because they came over illegally) and they fully support Trump and white nationalist ideas. My grandpa, God rest his soul, would slap my aunt, dad, uncle and their kids anytime they said racist ****, which was all the time, well into his 90s. He would always remind them that at one time, they were children of illegal immigrants.

The other grandparents both fought in WWII (my grandmother was a typist, so no comabt) and he came back from the Army with a purple heart. Re-enlisted in the Air Force as a pilot but V-Day and VJ-Day happened before he was shipped back. Her only brother was KIA on the USS Seawolf. That grandpa's cousin was blown apart in Bougenville, and lived an addled life into his 70s.

They marched with Dr. King in California and my grandfather hired the first black man at the Sears he managed. My mom's side is more 50/50 when it comes to Ds vs. Rs but they did not like my parents when it came to how bigoted they became later in life. They told them to stop watching the news and get out and help people, learn about them, and fix it.

The Greatest Generation is collectively rolling in their graves.

We're not all like that and some of us are out their fighting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The irony is that Obama is one of the best presidents we've had in recent history while both Bush and Trump will likely go down as two of the worst.

This is why arguing facts with Republicans often doesn't matter -- it's not about what's best for the country, it's about retaining power by any means necessary.
    I'm no W fan but I don't think he'll be remembered in the same light as Trump. W will fair better than most think.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-07-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If so, it would be really dumb for him to push a Hitler reference using the flag at half mast.
    It's not dumb, it's hip and cool these days to be an out and proud white nationalist. It's not like there's ever any political blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Racism, Fascism, and so on are like viruses. They may flare up, then die down go dormant, then flare up again. Some virus can be eliminated completely, others are much harder to deal with as they hide in normal cells and wait until something in the environment encourages a resurgence.

The problem is not unique to the U.S., what is unique is that in the U.S. we have a flaw in the way our government was set up. Ironically the flaw comes in the very nature of what we view as personal freedoms and civil liberties, as defined by the Constitution. It's like having an all-you-can eat buffet, but no one is there to tell you which foods are going to do more harm than good. This is the rift between the Democrats and the Republicans.

Democrats want you, they want everyone, to share this feast, but with restrictions and warning labels which say which food have high fat content and which ones have lots of healthy vitamins.

Republicans see the buffet created by the Constitution and want it all, all for themselves. They want to barricade the entrance to the restaurant, only letting in those who they 'like'.

The general population sees the Republicans in control doing this and it creates a wide range of reactions. From outrage to violence.

America is very complex. The Liberal/Conservative designations are simply broad descriptive terms to cover as many people as possible. People that can be found along this complex spectrum.

America is an experiment that has been going on for hundreds of years. It's being tested right now. Will the experiment succeed? Or will it fail? Can the flaws be fixed? Or will they rip the country apart? History has shown a certain resilience in this experiment, that we have ways of creating antibodies in the forms of laws and so on, that can fight off the virus.

I would not write this country off yet. We may be down, but only time will tell if we are getting back into the fight or if we are out for the count.