Page 20 of 667 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Crazy people doing crazy things isn’t abnormal, even among the “civilized” world. The issue is that the American culture around and about guns only aids those who wish to do harm. These are common sense reforms—people under watch by the FBI should, at least, have to wait to get that cleared up before being able to purchase a gun...especially a pump-action shotgun.
    *heavy sigh* Maybe I'll just stay inside on Saturday until the craziness passes.

Apparently it isn’t a clear limiting principle to state that Visa limits will remain intact but they need to be better informed because we’ve seen industries actually beg for migrant workers. If you don’t say “we will only allow X amount of people from your ‘shithole’ country” and “you’re a white country, so we’ll let more of you in” and put an explicit and unbreachable limit year over year, regardless of economic or structural changes, you are for “open borders” and are going to cause an apocalypse worse than creating an environment where there are shootings perpetrated against gay night clubs.
    It damn sure doesn't help that the country's immigration policy, such as it is, is being shaped by a known racist and xenophobe sitting in the Oval Office with an equally loathsome white supremacist bending his ear at every turn to shape said policy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A little good news:

Sol Pais Taken Into Custody At Mount Evans

And news that will make you shake your head:

Notre Dame has no insurance policy

she must not get out much. i'd need the way back machine to take inspiration from Columbine.

She's not in custody, she's dead. No word yet if she offed herself or if law enforcement took her out.

Edit: Word leaking out that she killed herself.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    she must not get out much. i'd need the way back machine to take inspiration from Columbine.
    It happened 2 years before she was even born.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She's not in custody, she's dead. No word yet if she offed herself or if law enforcement took her out.

Edit: Word leaking out that she killed herself.
    Hey, that's money saved on a trial and eventual incarceration in a prison or loony bin. No sweat off my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Everyone knows what is meant by it, yes, except people who like to play 'gotcha' games. It's not dissimilar to the 'We're not a democracy, we're a republic!' bull we see trotted out frequently.
    I blame the internet, it has convinced far too many people it's more important to be right in an argument rather than to act right. Not that there wasn't this sort of thinking before, but it's spread thanks to the anonymity and reach of the net.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hey, that's money saved on a trial and eventual incarceration in a prison or loony bin. No sweat off my nose.
    Problem is that she may have inspired others to do the same thing for the anniversary coming up. That's my worry. Glad she's not a threat any more, but her being dead doesn't help for understanding why people like her are doing this. Also I feel for her family, not her mind but her family now has this stigma that they have to live with regarding her death.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good thing she wasn't a Brown person too. Imagine the lost time that would have been otherwise spent restoring law enforcement boots from the **** being kicked out of her during apprehension or a clip of tax payed ammunition taking out one who was on the FBI radar.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Problem is that she may have inspired others to do the same thing for the anniversary coming up. That's my worry. Glad she's not a threat any more, but her being dead doesn't help for understanding why people like her are doing this. Also I feel for her family, not her mind but her family now has this stigma that they have to live with regarding her death.
    Because they're insane in the membrane. As for her family, yeah, they'll have it rough and I feel for them. Chances are they probably didn't know their daughter had bad wiring upstairs and wasn't aware of what went on with her until it was too late. Meanwhile, I'm feeling more and more inclined to stay inside on Saturday, what with the anniversary that day.

Again, it isn't something that needs a definite limit--especially if that definite limit is a racist and antiquated system of quotas that were designed to keep brown and black people out (because we can accept more from predominantly white countries). The amount that we should see should vary from year to year. The question is if you have clearly defined rules for what are qualifiers for getting into the country legally, have a nationwide e-Verify system that would ensure that no employer, across the country, would be able to employ undocumented immigrants, allow the undocumented immigrants already here an opportunity to stay through a particular avenue, secure the border in a way that yields superior results to a wall because of its technological posterity, why do you actually need to have a clear defined limit on immigration?

I mean, if an individual meets the qualifications for entry, why should we expect that they should be kept out for years on end? Now, there are limits to the kinds of Visas that are approved. I've seen no Democrat, particularly in the presidential race, argue that Visas should be handed out without regard for what the economy actually needs. There are good reasons to indicate that we should raise the amount of Visas in particular service jobs, such as agriculture, but certainly not to the point of excess of what the economy actually requires. Thus, an immigration reform package would be one that would communicate with industry leaders about how many they actually need and adjust the Visa limit appropriately and allow for all qualified candidates to be processed as fast as they can. Especially as native-born Americans move towards higher level private sector jobs, and have fewer kids, there needs to be new individuals to fill service level jobs that do require full time positions (regardless of what many Republicans say about service sector jobs being for high school kids--just remember that the next time you stop at Target to shop or McDonald's for lunch during the week days).

There has also been plenty of evidence that approximately half of the year-over-year increase in GDP growth since the Industrial Revolution has been a result of the larger numbers of people entering the work force. However, our population growth has slowed to replacement level in the United States. A substantial population that had ballooned the size of the labor market (baby boomers) are reaching retirement age without a larger generation entering the labor pool. This will result in a contraction of the labor market and can slow down GDP growth even further. Indeed, it is a big part of the reason why we've seen the slow down, even post-recession, in GDP growth. The situation gets even more dire as the baby boomers die off, because they are the most socioeconomically well off age-wise demographic group. They went to school in a time when a minimum wage job could provide a year's tuition to our nation's best schools if you only worked full time in the summers. Now, children are faced with crushing debt. People are having fewer kids because of the financial strain that is placed on them. As a result, financial strain and fewer children, businesses will see their domestic consumer base start to shrink. They can push their products internationally to maintain growth but the Republican Party has also become an anti-trade party as well.

The truth is that a xenophobic and an anti-trade party is bad for the economy, especially if that party doesn't do anything to address the issue of the cost of living increasing at a much faster rate than the earnings of graduates, be they from high school or college. Saying there needs to be reforms done to the systems in place for immigration to make it easier to legally immigrate are not just moral moves, but, ultimately, the necessary moves to make. We need to make sure our legal process moves quicker. But we can't put down clear, defined limits on all kinds of limitations at all times. That's not only unrealistic and immoral, it's dangerous thinking. It isn't an open borders policy to state that we will have to evaluate the situation, year by year, and then decide on that years limit for which kind of Visas get increased or decreased based on economic needs. From there, it is just a matter of ensuring that we process applications faster and do our part to make it less of a multi-year process to enter the country. But Democrats aren't saying that there need not be any kind of legal process for entry. I just think they are making the point that it needs to be modernized and remove the antiquated parts about our immigration system that 1) are ineffective and 2) cost a lot of money to be that way.
    I do get that there can be an argument that there should be a limit on immigration but it shouldn't be a precise number or percentage, but rather some kind of specific criteria that it such a high standard it will still keep legal immigration down to manageable numbers. If this is the position of the Democratic party, what is the criteria?

There are two different discussions. The first is the usefulness of open borders/ unlimited immigration. The second is the concern that Democrats would implement this if they could. When the focus on the second discussion shifts to the former criteria, that does suggest an understanding that Democrats do feel a particular way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Well the one where when you start screwing with kids you still have the right to have people defend you because the verbiage isn't quite right. In court those sorts of distinctions matter and technicalities can get the most guilty off scott free - but the real world isn't a court of law.

Pedophile, kiddy diddler, age-based predator, whatever term suits the person bringing Moore up is suitable as far as I'm concerned.
    Looking at the old thread, the defense of Roy Moore includes the following sentence: Accused "Child molester" and "kiddie fiddler" remain accurate terms for Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Really? So it couldn't have been Republicans deliberately acting in bad faith in order to keep it as a "border crisis," and therefore, a valid campaign issue?
    That doesn't really explain why it wasn't fixed during the Bush administration.

There are two main problems.

There are multiple views on immigration. It's a bit like Brexit where there are a lot of sides, and no one side has the necessary fifty percent of legislatures.

There's also a mismatch between what voters want and the politicians. A majority of voters is against any increase in immigration. So they feel their voices aren't represented in the legislative process, where you largely have arguments between different camps advocating for different types of increases.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You are echoing Trump -- whether intentionally or otherwise -- if you're saying exactly the same thing he is and you are being dishonest when you still argue that Democrats are for "open borders" and "abolishing ICE" when I provide factual evidence that isn't the case -- pointing out the truth is not a personal attack unless you are so engaged in the lie that you can't separate yourself from it.

Moreover, I'm not being "impolite" -- I'm just not allowing you to frame the argument so that you can debate using a false accusation steeped in biased "inference" rather than actual fact. Nearly every here has pointed out how intellectually insulting your "T-shirt" argument is, yet you still persist in trying to act as if it is something that others should take seriously -- more seriously than actual Democratic policy, in fact, because that's the only way you can distract from your party's inherent corruption (i.e. The Mueller Report, gerrymandering, the Trump presidency, etc).

There's nothing impolite about asking why you support a party that you know frequently engages in lying, corruption, racism, homophobia, Islamophobia, and fiscal irresponsibility -- in reality, it's you who is uncomfortable dealing with the facts about your party, not the Democrats.
    There are intelligent well-informed people on this forum who appear to be liberals who are under the impression Democrats don't want any upper limit on immigration, and that this is a good thing.

You should let them know it's hopeless.

Again, it isn't something that needs a definite limit--especially if that definite limit is a racist and antiquated system of quotas that were designed to keep brown and black people out (because we can accept more from predominantly white countries). The amount that we should see should vary from year to year. The question is if you have clearly defined rules for what are qualifiers for getting into the country legally, have a nationwide e-Verify system that would ensure that no employer, across the country, would be able to employ undocumented immigrants, allow the undocumented immigrants already here an opportunity to stay through a particular avenue, secure the border in a way that yields superior results to a wall because of its technological posterity, why do you actually need to have a clear defined limit on immigration?

I mean, if an individual meets the qualifications for entry, why should we expect that they should be kept out for years on end? Now, there are limits to the kinds of Visas that are approved. I've seen no Democrat, particularly in the presidential race, argue that Visas should be handed out without regard for what the economy actually needs. There are good reasons to indicate that we should raise the amount of Visas in particular service jobs, such as agriculture, but certainly not to the point of excess of what the economy actually requires. Thus, an immigration reform package would be one that would communicate with industry leaders about how many they actually need and adjust the Visa limit appropriately and allow for all qualified candidates to be processed as fast as they can. Especially as native-born Americans move towards higher level private sector jobs, and have fewer kids, there needs to be new individuals to fill service level jobs that do require full time positions (regardless of what many Republicans say about service sector jobs being for high school kids--just remember that the next time you stop at Target to shop or McDonald's for lunch during the week days).

There has also been plenty of evidence that approximately half of the year-over-year increase in GDP growth since the Industrial Revolution has been a result of the larger numbers of people entering the work force. However, our population growth has slowed to replacement level in the United States. A substantial population that had ballooned the size of the labor market (baby boomers) are reaching retirement age without a larger generation entering the labor pool. This will result in a contraction of the labor market and can slow down GDP growth even further. Indeed, it is a big part of the reason why we've seen the slow down, even post-recession, in GDP growth. The situation gets even more dire as the baby boomers die off, because they are the most socioeconomically well off age-wise demographic group. They went to school in a time when a minimum wage job could provide a year's tuition to our nation's best schools if you only worked full time in the summers. Now, children are faced with crushing debt. People are having fewer kids because of the financial strain that is placed on them. As a result, financial strain and fewer children, businesses will see their domestic consumer base start to shrink. They can push their products internationally to maintain growth but the Republican Party has also become an anti-trade party as well.

The truth is that a xenophobic and an anti-trade party is bad for the economy, especially if that party doesn't do anything to address the issue of the cost of living increasing at a much faster rate than the earnings of graduates, be they from high school or college. Saying there needs to be reforms done to the systems in place for immigration to make it easier to legally immigrate are not just moral moves, but, ultimately, the necessary moves to make. We need to make sure our legal process moves quicker. But we can't put down clear, defined limits on all kinds of limitations at all times. That's not only unrealistic and immoral, it's dangerous thinking. It isn't an open borders policy to state that we will have to evaluate the situation, year by year, and then decide on that years limit for which kind of Visas get increased or decreased based on economic needs. From there, it is just a matter of ensuring that we process applications faster and do our part to make it less of a multi-year process to enter the country. But Democrats aren't saying that there need not be any kind of legal process for entry. I just think they are making the point that it needs to be modernized and remove the antiquated parts about our immigration system that 1) are ineffective and 2) cost a lot of money to be that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are intelligent well-informed people on this forum who appear to be liberals who are under the impression Democrats don't want any upper limit on immigration, and that this is a good thing.

You should let them know it's hopeless.
    Tell them yourself -- our conversation was about your support for a lying, corrupt, racist, homophobic, Islamophobic, fiscally irresponsible party led by a a lying, corrupt, racist, homophobic, sexist, fiscally irresponsible Republican president.

I know you like to dodge that fact -- but trying to pivot elsewhere doesn't change said fact.

Your arguments are one step removed from saying that Obama must be a Muslim from Kenya because he won't show his birth certificate -- I don't traffic in "inferences" and "suspicions" on these issues -- just facts.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-17-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Less than sixty percent of Beto's donations actually came from legitimate small donors(versus Sanders eighty-five percent/Yang's eighty-four percent/Warren's seventy percent).

Still a better number than Harris or Klobuchar, but not much of a shocker.

- https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/polit...ays/index.html

2020 fundraising: Top takeaways from the first quarter