Page 465 of 667 FirstFirst ... 365415455461462463464465466467468469475515565 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,975 of 10005
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yeah, this is starting to look like a case of neglect, either unintentional due to overwork, or intentional due to the guards deciding, hey, if this perv wants to kill himself, let's let him.
    I'm still wondering if anything will show up in his bank records. Of course, it could be something untraceable and he still may have some loyal operative out there. At his age, he would probably have spent the rest of his live in prison and he had much too soft of a life to handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    A thought. Here in NJ, it is not unusual to see and hear someone speaking languages that I can only assume are European or East European, and as you can guess they are White.

I doubt anyone would go to them and complain that they should speak English or that they should go back where they came from .
    I'd like to invite any of those "Speak English only!" types to visit the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn, and say that to any one of the many Russian immigrant small business owners there.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm still wondering if anything will show up in his bank records. Of course, it could be something untraceable and he still may have some loyal operative out there. At his age, he would probably have spent the rest of his live in prison and he had much too soft of a life to handle that.
    Which is why Trump is moving heaven and earth to get re-elected, because he's just as soft as Epstein, if not moreso. Trump knows a trial for all his dirty dealings from the Mueller Report, followed by a probable prison sentence would be in his future the day he leaves office. I've already said that the one thing Trump fears more than losing his wealth is losing his freedom, he wouldn't last one week behind bars before going cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, not even in a cushy country club lockup for white collar crooks. On top of that, with a Democrat in the Oval Office, there wouldn't be the get out of jail free card in a pardon, in short, he'd be screwed. Would Trump go as far as offing himself like Epstein had done? Who can say, but I'm sure he'd snap mentally and be reduced to a vegetable.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Speaking of Trump, I gotta say this. I've been rewatching old Colbert Late Night episodes from early 2016 to now as background noise while I work. I've been watching the Republican Primaries and the convention stuff, in particular with Trump. At first, it's hard to watch seeing how ugly a person he is somehow win the nomination...

...but then watching him talk and talk during these clips Colbert shows, I do see something else. It's the mental deterioration. The whole thing about how being president wears you down over time. I don't see much of that physically with Trump outside of his posture actually getting worse it seems. It's definitely mental. He's not a great speaker at all and he is still incredibly vague about his plans, but you can follow along enough.

Now? It's definitely gotten worse and worse. He barely talks as well as he did on the campaign trail it feels like. I know we say this all the time, but rewatching this stuff back to back to back, it really paints such an incredibly ugly picture about his decline.

If you're curious, I put together some playlists of Colbert's stuff so you can see what I'm talking about. (2016 1st Half) (2016 2nd Half)

I'd like to invite any of those "Speak English only!" types to visit the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn, and say that to any one of the many Russian immigrant small business owners there.
    I know it's unintentional, but this actually plays into the prejudices people hold against Russian immigrants. That they're violent and/or connected to organized crime.

I found it amusing a few months back when someone posted a video of someone losing it in a Mexican restaurant because they had menu items in Spanish. I wonder if this person goes ballistic every time they go into Olive Garden.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The main step is expulsion, but that is very rare. It's been done once in my lifetime in 2002 when Jim Trafficant was convicted of bribery and racketeering. In 1980, it was done to a Congressman convicted of bribery in the Abscam scandal (popularized in American Hustle.) The other expulsions were mainly with members of Congress who sided with the Confederacy.

Liz Cheney, the #3 in House Leadership, is comfortable saying that the people of his district deserve better.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...-for-him-to-go
    Well, there's one.
    At least the crickets will have company.

Actually, I was referring to the Republican electorate. The GOP leadership obviously doesn't care what any Democrat thinks about anything, so if the registered Republican voters who dislike Trumps policies would voice their collective opinions something can be done to rein him in. It was proven right after he took office and the attempt was made to throw out the ACA that GOP politicians will listen to their constituents. The outrage was heard and the GOP couldn't get enough votes to abolish it.

Frankly, any damage done by his administration can be laid at all of your feet because you all stood by and let it happen.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-15-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Speaking of Trump, I gotta say this. I've been rewatching old Colbert Late Night episodes from early 2016 to now as background noise while I work. I've been watching the Republican Primaries and the convention stuff, in particular with Trump. At first, it's hard to watch seeing how ugly a person he is somehow win the nomination...

...but then watching him talk and talk during these clips Colbert shows, I do see something else. It's the mental deterioration. The whole thing about how being president wears you down over time. I don't see much of that physically with Trump outside of his posture actually getting worse it seems. It's definitely mental. He's not a great speaker at all and he is still incredibly vague about his plans, but you can follow along enough.

Now? It's definitely gotten worse and worse. He barely talks as well as he did on the campaign trail it feels like. I know we say this all the time, but rewatching this stuff back to back to back, it really paints such an incredibly ugly picture about his decline.

If you're curious, I put together some playlists of Colbert's stuff so you can see what I'm talking about. (2016 1st Half) (2016 2nd Half)
    While I wouldn't go so far as to suspect Alzheimer's is setting in with Trump like it had with Reagan during his second term, it's clear the unimaginable grind that comes with being president has worn him down. Whether or not anyone warned Trump about just how physically, emotionally and psychologically draining the job is anybody's guess, and if someone had, did Trump listen? Barack Obama, at 58, is two years younger than me, but looked ten years older when he left office, and he was as fit as they come, god only knows what the job is doing to Trump, a blubberbutt who eschews any sort of exercise (save for golf) and lives on fast food, frankly speaking, I'm surprised he hasn't stroked out by now. If Trump were sane, he'd walk away next year to avoid that sad fate, of course, we all know he can't afford to, what with a court date, and possibly a prison sentence waiting after his term ends. While I hope I'm wrong, I get the feeling Trump would rather die in office than resign.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

The stereotypes against various white ethnic groups in America are just another example of xenophobia borne out of ignorance and misunderstanding, the same as you would find anywhere else in the world. The specific brand of racism from white Americans against black and brown people is something entirely different, since it provided the justification for the centuries of systematic exploitation upon which the prosperity of white America was built on and continues to depend.

Dark does not mean deep.

On this date in 2014, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" ran a profile of Tom Tancredo, a man who is so xenophobic in his anti-immigrant fervor that he was banned from the White House by the Bush Administration, has been tied to various white nationalist groups to deliver speeches to them, and has advocated a nuclear strike on Mecca as a tangible strategy for stopping Islamic terrorism. Tancredo has been mostly irrelevant of late, but he did make the news back during the earlier part of the 2016 presidential primary to suggest that even Donald Trump should tone down his divisive rhetoric towards illegal immigrants (which really says something about how out of control Trump is).

On this date in 2015, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Craig James, the former Southern Methodist University running back and and ESPN college football broadcaster who ran for U.S. Senate in Texas in 2012. The only real speech James had that found its way into the public eye prior to his entry into the race featured him denying the existence of climate change, and promising to do everything he could to make sure that not a single dollar went to the research into it, or what could be done to prevent it. At the GOP Primary debate, James asserted that being gay was a choice, and was overall such a spectacularly terrible campaigner that he only got 4% of the vote, including not even being able to get students of SMU to vote for him. ESPN chose not to have James back in the booth for his comments on homosexuality, and he tried unsuccessfully to sue the network for discrimination of his Christian beliefs. He was last seen playing up his supposed Christian victimhood to Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council on one of his programs, but it unlikely to ever be elected to political office.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

In both 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented our original profile of the U.S. House Representative for Florida’s 11th Congressional District, Daniel Webster, who first got swept into office in the 2010 Tea Party Wave after having previously served as the Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives and Florida Senate Majority Leader during a 28 year career as a Florida state legislator (and not as an extra working in the background of a morgue in a horror movie, like you’d expect). Webster is, at the moment, the preferred voice of Republican leadership of the recalcitrant House Freedom Caucus, and has finished second in the past three votes for Speaker of the House as a result.

Now, given how much of a group of extremists the House Freedom Caucus is, you can bet it’s more than Daniel Webster’s resume that impresses them. His record on issues show’s he’s clearly of like mind. Case in point… how “pro-life” is Daniel Webster? Well, while we can’t be sure of if he supports exceptions for rape and incest in his anti-abortion stance, because he refuses to answer the question when asked, we do know he’s voted for virtually every pro-life measure that’s ever crossed his path, including even when Jeb Bush was working overtime in Florida to make sure a feeding tube stayed inside of the long-since brain dead Terry Schiavo, and forcing her to keep on living against her wishes… the central figure in the Florida state legislature trying to write creative laws to drag out that situation even longer was Daniel Webster, while he was in the Florida State Senate.

And that’s hardly the only conservative social position Daniel Webster had. There was also his 1990 sponsorship of a bill to legalize covenant marriage. The draconian measure would have only allowed couples to divorce if only one partner cheated on the other (if both were unfaithful, they must remain married), and did not even offer exceptions for situations involving domestic abuse.

Now, you might wonder where these extreme conservative views Webster’s got are coming from… there is a quite plain answer. Daniel Webster has close ties to Bill Gothard and Gothard’s ministry, the Institute of Basic Life Principles, repeatedly collaborating with the disgraced church leader who was revealed to have covered up scores of abuse claims from his flock, and has a disturbing habit of counseling female rape and sexual abuse victims to make them feel as though they’re to blame for what their attackers have done to them in an overall patriarchal agenda where women must submit to their husbands. One of the first legislative acts in Florida that Webster pushed for back in 1985 was to legalize homeschooling (which Gothard and his flock are big proponents of). The amount of degrees of separation between Daniel Webster and the disgraced Duggar family are also shockingly few, but is Rep. Webster a total fanatic, though? Well, according to some, he’s spoken before Bill Gothard’s flock in a way that seems to indicate he views the gerrymandering of his district as “God being on his side and opposing his opponents. And that’s pretty nuts. As is the rest of his voting record:

Cottrell’s got a big partisan disadvantage in Florida’s 11th, sitting at a +15 Republican lean, and seems like he's going to sit around Congress until he decides he's bored with it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

In Private Meeting, Trump Calls El Paso Mayor a “RINO”

Trump is the True RINO

The mayor of the grieving city of El Paso told President Donald Trump in a private meeting that he’s presenting “misinformation” about crime in his city, and pushed back when the president used a derogatory term to suggest he wasn’t a real Republican.

“He said, ‘You’re a RINO [Republican in name only],’ and I said, ‘No, sir. I am not a RINO,’” Mayor Dee Margo told FRONTLINE. “I said … ‘I simply corrected the misinformation you were given by [the Texas] attorney general, and that’s all I did.’”

The mayor said he was trying to debunk Trump’s false claim that El Paso had one of the highest violent crime rates in the U.S. until a barrier fence — the bulk of which was completed in 2009 — was built there. He recounted the conversation in an interview with correspondent Martin Smith and producer Marcela Gaviria for an upcoming FRONTLINE documentary. Trump traveled to El Paso last week in the aftermath of a shooting that left 22 people dead and dozens more wounded. Police say that the suspect deliberately targeted Hispanics.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    While I wouldn't go so far as to suspect Alzheimer's is setting in with Trump like it had with Reagan during his second term, it's clear the unimaginable grind that comes with being president has worn him down. Whether or not anyone warned Trump about just how physically, emotionally and psychologically draining the job is anybody's guess, and if someone had, did Trump listen? Barack Obama, at 58, is two years younger than me, but looked ten years older when he left office, and he was as fit as they come, god only knows what the job is doing to Trump, a blubberbutt who eschews any sort of exercise (save for golf) and lives on fast food, frankly speaking, I'm surprised he hasn't stroked out by now. If Trump were sane, he'd walk away next year to avoid that sad fate, of course, we all know he can't afford to, what with a court date, and possibly a prison sentence waiting after his term ends. While I hope I'm wrong, I get the feeling Trump would rather die in office than resign.
    If he actually did any of the work of being President, you might have a point. All he does is play golf, watch Fox News, and give long, incomprehensible speeches at his hate rallies. Doesn't sound too exhausting to me.

President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland

Trump Is Reportedly Considering Buying Greenland, Which, Sure Why Not At This Point?

Okay, look, everything is melting and/or on fire right now, but here’s something nobody saw coming.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that President Donald Trump is considering having the US just buy Greenland. Yes, Greenland. All of it.

Greenland — as I’m sure you all know — is that piece of land in the middle of the ocean on your maps that looks giant but is actually only kind of giant. Good news, Gall–Peters projection map fans: Your day has arrived.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.