Page 621 of 667 FirstFirst ... 121521571611617618619620621622623624625631 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,315 of 10005

Raine Riggs, daughter-in-law of Bernie Sanders, passed away on Saturday, two days after receiving a diagnosis of neuroendrocine cancer. Prior to that, she had been sick for a few weeks.

According to her obituary, she had she earned her master's degree in geriatric neuropsychology and clinical sleep medicine from Brown University, and a doctorate in neuropsychology at the University of Vermont. She was the co-director of Behavioral Medicine at Dartmouth Medical School for several years, developing and starting its Palliative Care Department for Dartmouth Medical Center. She volunteered at homeless sheleters and pediatric hospice care.

This is very sad news about an accomplished, selfless woman who passed away far too young.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You're the one fantasizing at this point, honestly, and putting words in multiple people's mouths. Meanwhile, we are talking about the same police department that did this:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/snow-job/
    20 years ago? Ok. Perhaps you should think about my question. Play out the scenarios. It is ridiculous to do anything but accept the simplest explanation.

Unfortunate for this young man. Another failure of our society for young black men. Not Police Hydra Conspiracy.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Raine Riggs, daughter-in-law of Bernie Sanders, passed away on Saturday, two days after receiving a diagnosis of neuroendrocine cancer. Prior to that, she had been sick for a few weeks.

According to her obituary, she had she earned her master's degree in geriatric neuropsychology and clinical sleep medicine from Brown University, and a doctorate in neuropsychology at the University of Vermont. She was the co-director of Behavioral Medicine at Dartmouth Medical School for several years, developing and starting its Palliative Care Department for Dartmouth Medical Center. She volunteered at homeless sheleters and pediatric hospice care.

This is very sad news about an accomplished, selfless woman who passed away far too young.
    Talk about a rough stretch for Bernie. First there was his heart attack scare from last week, now this. Losing a loved one to cancer is a hell of a blow. Best wishes to the Sanders family.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    20 years ago? Ok. Perhaps you should think about my question. Play out the scenarios. It is ridiculous to do anything but accept the simplest explanation.
    For most of those criminals, the 'simplest explanation' that people would imagine is that they were guilty because of our society's failure for young black men, not a police hydra conspiracy to plant sheetrock on people.

Unfortunate for this young man. Another failure of our society for young black men. Not Police Hydra Conspiracy.
    I mean, I've never advanced a 'police hydra conspiracy', but I think you're imagining things to be a whole lot more elaborate than they need to be, too. I've already said plenty of times, in this thread, /that it could well turn out to be what they say/ and nothing more than a case of bad timing, but that I grant people their raised eyebrows and do agree that some aspects offered sounded a bit shaky in light of recent events. In response to us thinking it was shaky, you've spent a whole lot of effort being ranty at folks.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/s...17735955189761

This is part of a longer twitter thread about poll numbers, but this bit jumped out at me.

Sanders's heart attack appears to have hurt him quite badly. His "electability" numbers are down 8 points vs a week ago. 66% of Democrats say his health is a "legitimate issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

This is part of a longer twitter thread about poll numbers, but this bit jumped out at me.
    Yeah, those numbers aren't surprising at all. And now this whole thing with his daughter in law. I feel for the Sanders family. :/

BANNED

For most of those criminals, the 'simplest explanation' that people would imagine is that they were guilty because of our society's failure for young black men, not a police hydra conspiracy to plant sheetrock on people.

I mean, I've never advanced a 'police hydra conspiracy', but I think you're imagining things to be a whole lot more elaborate than they need to be, too. I've already said plenty of times, in this thread, /that it could well turn out to be what they say/ and nothing more than a case of bad timing, but that I grant people their raised eyebrows and do agree that some aspects offered sounded a bit shaky in light of recent events. In response to us thinking it was shaky, you've spent a whole lot of effort being ranty at folks.
    When your raised eyebrows involve a police generated murder conspiracy you absolutely get to be called out.

If you remove your personal political bias there is nothing red flag about this. It's far more red flagging for your ability to mute your slant that you somehow think the police orchestrated this all without a single person saying a word about it. Not the guy in the hospital with a gunshot. Nobody. It's silly. Be better than that.

When your raised eyebrows involve a police generated murder conspiracy you absolutely get to be called out.
    I mean, my raised eyebrows include knowing that things like this happen:

https://lawandcrime.com/police/entir...o-people-dead/

My 'raised eybrows' are 'well, that sounds a bit fishy', alongside the knowledge that police in the USA have gotten away with all KINDS of shady things and people have ABSOLUTELY been framed or even set up to be shot by them before. You don't need to ask me. You just need to ask Frank Serpico. :P

If you remove your personal political bias there is nothing red flag about this. It's far more red flagging for your ability to mute your slant that you somehow think the police orchestrated this all without a single person saying a word about it. Not the guy in the hospital with a gunshot. Nobody. It's silly. Be better than that.
    Like I've said: It's perfectly possible that what they say happened, happened. I'm just not spending a ton of posts ranting at people for being wary in a culture where we know that departments have run black sites to torture people to manufacture confessions as they did in Chicago.. /Those/ things required conspiracies. Here, it'd just take one person.

I'll just wait for additional details and independent verification of them before advancing any particular idea of what happened beyond 'huh, that seems a bit convenient/fishy and weird based on the limited information when we started down this offshoot.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

This is an understandable position.

Medical problems would be an especially big deal for Sanders because he's likely to be different from his running mate, so there is a greater chance of medical emergencies leading to divergent policy outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Talk about a rough stretch for Bernie. First there was his heart attack scare from last week, now this. Losing a loved one to cancer is a hell of a blow. Best wishes to the Sanders family.
    It also wouldn't surprise me if these things were connected. A daughter-in-law hospitalized for a serious and ultimately fatal medical condition is going to add to the stress for a 78 year old already pushing himself quite hard.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I mean, my raised eyebrows include knowing that things like this happen:

https://lawandcrime.com/police/entir...o-people-dead/

My 'raised eybrows' are 'well, that sounds a bit fishy', alongside the knowledge that police in the USA have gotten away with all KINDS of shady things and people have ABSOLUTELY been framed or even set up to be shot by them before. You don't need to ask me. You just need to ask Frank Serpico. :P

Like I've said: It's perfectly possible that what they say happened, happened. I'm just not spending a ton of posts ranting at people for being wary in a culture where we know that departments have run black sites to torture people to manufacture confessions as they did in Chicago.. /Those/ things required conspiracies. Here, it'd just take one person.

I'll just wait for additional details and independent verification of them before advancing any particular idea of what happened beyond 'huh, that seems a bit convenient/fishy and weird based on the limited information when we started down this offshoot.
    This would take much more than one person to keep this all quiet. Especially as a botched hit.

My aim is simple: allowing political slant to oberride truth is how 40% of our country turned racism and bad ideas from a concern needing a political battle of ideas to a full blow, truth denying, hate fueled, irrational threat to our nation. We need to be better than that trap. So, yeah, I'm going to call people out when they fall into it.

That's fair on one point. I misread what you said initially.

I stand by, however, my notion that you do love to 'infer' what Dems 'actually mean' quite frequently.
    Any inferences are based on what I read from Democrats and liberals.

This does seem to one major disagreement, rather than something frequent. It's a point that you guys bring up a lot more than I do, including your most recent post.

My comment on inferences is still based on Democrats and liberals typically not expressing any comments about a limiting principle on legal immigration. The question I have asked is "Have Democrats expressed any opinion on a limiting principle on legal immigration (an upper limit on the number of immigrants who should be allowed in)? If so, what is it? If not, what should we infer from the silence, and why should we infer that?" so it's more about getting a sense of what you guys have inferred, if in fact Democrats have not expressed an opinion on one of the most significant policy questions: what limits, if any, should there be on legal immigration?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

"Bill Clinton is into some hinky ****" is already down that same path. Be better.

You want to pretend what you are practicing is skepticism but you cant possibly understand what that word means and be using it seriously.
    I don't know about you but cigar play is pretty hinky to me, and it doesn't go down that path at all.

Settle Down, Beavis!

This would take much more than one person to keep this all quiet. Especially as a botched hit.

My aim is simple: allowing political slant to oberride truth is how 40% of our country turned racism and bad ideas from a concern needing a political battle of ideas to a full blow, truth denying, hate fueled, irrational threat to our nation. We need to be better than that trap. So, yeah, I'm going to call people out when they fall into it.
    I think you're oberreacting or oberreaching in claiming that racism was ever not a "truth denying, hate fueled, irrational threat to our nation", and underestimating how much police corruption has tainted how much trust Police get. I'm sure you believe their stories 100% of the time regardless of which officer shot the unarmed black man this week though, so if you wish to keep going full Cornholio feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yes. A rough week for Bernie indeed. My condolences to the Sanders family.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is an understandable position.

Medical problems would be an especially big deal for Sanders because he's likely to be different from his running mate, so there is a greater chance of medical emergencies leading to divergent policy outcomes.

It also wouldn't surprise me if these things were connected. A daughter-in-law hospitalized for a serious and ultimately fatal medical condition is going to add to the stress for a 78 year old already pushing himself quite hard.
    Perhaps too hard. I'm guessing Bernie's already seen those poll numbers saying people have become leery of him because of his health concerns. That said, I suspect he might put the pedal to the metal and work even harder to show everyone that he's physically up to the challenge of campaigning. I hope someone, his wife, his children, his aides, hell, all three, tells Sanders NOT to go that route, because that could spell trouble for him.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I don't know about you but cigar play is pretty hinky to me, and it doesn't go down that path at all.

Settle Down, Beavis!

I think you're oberreacting or oberreaching in claiming that racism was ever not a "truth denying, hate fueled, irrational threat to our nation", and underestimating how much police corruption has tainted how much trust Police get. I'm sure you believe their stories 100% of the time regardless of which officer shot the unarmed black man this week though, so if you wish to keep going full Cornholio feel free.
    I know being obnoxious is your schtick but I literally posted last page that police deserve mistrust. The "I trust police 100%" are stupid. So is sitting on the opposite side of that. You are literally demonstrating my point.

Regardless of your political views it is dangerous and foolish to abandon truth for political favoritism. Reading this police report of his death and immediately going to "**** the police" is being intentionally stupid.