Page 119 of 212 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 3177
  1. #1771
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Are you kidding? Frankie, Dino and the boys wouldn’t have wanted anything to do with Trump and had him thrown out on his ear (or bumped off as it was rumored Sinatra had connections in the Mob).
    Agreed. But in Trump's sick, egotistical mind he would have been one of the crew. More to the point, it is a symbol of his late 50's mindset.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  2. #1772
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Are you kidding? Frankie, Dino and the boys wouldn’t have wanted anything to do with Trump and had him thrown out on his ear (or bumped off as it was rumored Sinatra had connections in the Mob).
    The head of the FBI's Organized Crime Unit (the one that took down all five New York families in the 80s) cleared Sinatra after a background check. Not conclusive or anything, but zero evidence.

    The Pack did, however, refuse to perform at any hotels that wouldn't let Sammy stay there. Doesn't seem like Trump's kind of crowd.

  3. #1773
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The head of the FBI's Organized Crime Unit (the one that took down all five New York families in the 80s) cleared Sinatra after a background check. Not conclusive or anything, but zero evidence.

    The Pack did, however, refuse to perform at any hotels that wouldn't let Sammy stay there. Doesn't seem like Trump's kind of crowd.
    No mob connections? We all saw The Godfather and the whole horse's head thing!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  4. #1774
    Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WV ...in the Middle of Nowhere !
    Posts
    12,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The head of the FBI's Organized Crime Unit (the one that took down all five New York families in the 80s) cleared Sinatra after a background check. Not conclusive or anything, but zero evidence.

    The Pack did, however, refuse to perform at any hotels that wouldn't let Sammy stay there. Doesn't seem like Trump's kind of crowd.

    Yeah Sinatra would want nothing to do with Trump at all. Because Sinatra believed in others getting a chance in life ala minorities and didn't care what religion they were. . I mean he had this dialogue in a movie.


    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

  5. #1775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's the problem with the modern right, no matter how utterly ridiculous a point of view is like opposing unionization or blanket abortions or separating families at the border or border walls (all absolutely ridiculous ideas taking us back to the dark ages) , some people on the right find ways to defend it.

    On the left on the other hand, there are several competing ideas being thrown around right now (like universal healthcare, universal basic income, green economics, e.t.c) which are pertinent in the face of current challenges.

    That's why people dismiss right wing talking points. It's all just about opposing stuff without any real solutions. Calling trans people mentally ill doesn't solve the growing number of trans people, building walls at the border won't stop or curb illegal immigration, banning abortion will not curb abortion and won't "preserve" white people, saying people should be slaves to capitalism doesn't solve the massive and increasing wage gap e.t.c
    The problem might not be left VS right, but a fundamental misunderstanding of the right.

    There are numerous studies suggesting that people on the left just don't understand where the right is coming from.

    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...history-219742

    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-venus/252416/

    There is further suggestion that conservatives understand liberal positions better than liberals understand right-wing positions, possibly because there's more exposure of left-wing ideas in the mainstream media.

    Let's look at the issues you mentioned.

    There are differing opinions on the right regarding trans people. Plenty do view it exclusively as a form of mental illness akin to body dysmorphic dysphoria or anorexia, but that's not the only viewpoint (and it is not my position). The current left-wing approach seems to be acceptance and affirmation immediately, when that can cause harm with something that often calls for surgery and sterilization.

    The general belief on the right is that building walls on the border will help with curbing undocumented immigration. It won't eliminate it, but it does have a few advantages, including the signal it sends and some practical advantages in making it easier to recognize breaches, or pushing those sneaking in into particular sections that can be monitored more readily.

    There's plenty of evidence that making abortion illegal decreases the number of abortions. The argument popularized in Freakonomics that the decline in crime in the 1990s can be attributed to easier access to abortion requires access to abortion to increase the number of women able to obtain it.

    http://freakonomics.com/2005/05/15/a...d-you-believe/

    No one is literally saying that people should be slaves to capitalism. That's a straw man. Conservatives do typically not care about inequality, but part of it is that it won't help the people on the bottom. If everyone's wealth doubled, that would be a great thing, even if it meant income inequality doubled. They're also less likely to see a viable alternative to most people working for a living.

    It does also appear that there are more intellectual divisions on the right. There are distinctions (and in some cases, overlaps) between Gamergate, the older MAGA crowd, the Fox News Republicans, the Intellectual Dark Web, the Never-Trump establishment Republicans, the Trump-agnostic establishment Republicans, the older religious right, the younger religious right, the libertarians, various professional grifters and other groups in terms of approaches.

    On the left, diversity of thought certainly exists, with socialists, the more moderate Clinton Democrats, and the identity politics types all pushing for different things. However, democrats are more likely to have varied groups working together to advance their interests (these are often protected classes but not exclusively as public-service employees are a key constituency; you see this with the focus on intersectionality and being a good ally.)

  6. #1776
    Fantastic Member 4saken1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    497
    Pull List: Animosity,Babyteeth,Birthright,Black Hammer,Black Science,Damned,Deadly Class,Descender,East of West,Eternal Empire,Hellboy,Hillbilly,I Hate Fairyland,Injustice,Kill or be Killed,Lazarus,Manifest Destiny,Outcast,Paper Girls,Rat Queens,Saga,Seven to Eternity,Sex Criminals,Southern Bastards,Star Wars,Stray Bullets,Uber,Usagi Yojimbo,all Valiant,Walking Dead,Wayward,Wicked & Divine.

  7. #1777
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,047

    Default

    Lord have mercy! Fragile white men indeed! And people call us liberals “snowflakes”!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  8. #1778
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    What does '16 seeders 4 leechers' mean? Is that the number of people who have uploaded or downloaded the edit? I feel like that's a pretty small number of people even if it's grown in the 2 weeks since this apparently became a thing. But then I'm not really familiar with Torrent terms. From what I can gather from google a leecher is a downloader.

  9. #1779
    Incredible Member Mecegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    993

    Default

    So like what?? the movie would be missing 20 maybe 30 mins of run time? Don't call them racist or sexist tho!!! It's that two full minutes of a scene where all the women work together that's the real problem....

    Also, would Rocket Raccoon and Groot count or LOL

  10. #1780
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    What does '16 seeders 4 leechers' mean? Is that the number of people who have uploaded or downloaded the edit? I feel like that's a pretty small number of people even if it's grown in the 2 weeks since this apparently became a thing. But then I'm not really familiar with Torrent terms. From what I can gather from google a leecher is a downloader.
    Torrents work by downloading files off of other peoples' computers through a dedicated program, rather than off of some server as is usually the case. "Seeders" are people who currently have the file available to download, "Leechers" are people currently downloading the file. Though it's more complicated because after you've downloaded part of the file you can seed that specific part to others, in fact you have to because you're not given the option to stop seeding the file until after your download is complete.

    It not a great indicator of total downloads, that number would have to be tracked separately.

  11. #1781
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No mob connections? We all saw The Godfather and the whole horse's head thing!
    One of my English teachers regarded that as pretty close to a documentary.

    And must admit own gut feeling is that it’s closer to truth than any subsequent FBI “clearance”.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.

  12. #1782
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    20,095

    Default

    Biden worries me

    Democrats were said to be furious and hungry for change. Then Biden jumped in.

    PHILADELPHIA — Former vice president Joe Biden defends his support for the 1994 crime bill that many blame for mass incarceration of blacks. He declares that most Americans are “satisfied” with a private insurance system reviled by the left. He justifies the North American Free Trade Agreement as a pact that “made sense at the moment.”

    And to the dismay of many liberals, he won’t call for a study of slavery reparations, saying the nation has other ways to fight racism.

    In his opening weeks as a presidential candidate, Biden has rejected much of the conventional wisdom that drove the first stretch of the Democratic nomination fight, refusing to play to the party’s liberal wing, focus on the wrongs of the past or call for revolutionary transformation.

    To the surprise of many, he has been rewarded with a lead in the polls that, so far at least, has proven durable and steady. As a result, his candidacy is challenging assumptions about what Democratic voters want in the era of President Trump.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  13. #1783

    Default

    I think this highlights how much people were wrong about what the typical Democrat wanted.

    It's rather dumb for almost everyone else to leave the moderate lane available for the guy with the highest name ID. He probably had some lucky breaks with Sherrod Brown opting not to run, and Klobuchar imploding after the staff abuse stories but it is a big chunk of the party no one was going for.

  14. #1784
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,714

    Default

    This isn't news. Hardcore-progressives are a small part of the current Democratic party.

    ...However it's not going to stay that way, and the Dems are ignoring it at their own peril.

  15. #1785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe this is a sign that the ice is cracking and that some Republicans are drifting away ... maybe.
    In other news, the Republican Governor of Vermont became the first statewide official to back Trump primary challenger William Weld.

    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-trump-1331312

    These are small steps but it's been a while since we've explicitly had anything like this. No statewide officeholder backed challengers to Clinton, W or Obama. I don't know if Pat Buchanan had any governors or senators endorse him, and he got 38 percent in New Hampshire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •