Page 14 of 667 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The first church I ever heard of was Notre Dame, thanks to the Aurora glow-in-the dark monster model of the Hunchback of Notre Dame at or local department store. I was too young to read at the time (50 years ago), but my father explained to me what it was and that he had been in the actual structure in the early '60s while serving in the army in Paris. As for the Notre Dame itself, I was just reading about it only last week.

FWIW, I find all of this to be depressing.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

They have about 90 minutes to save the stonework. The bell towers are engulfed now.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-15-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The first church I ever heard of was Notre Dame, thanks to the Aurora glow-in-the dark monster model of the Hunchback of Notre Dame at or local department store. I was too young to read at the time (50 years ago), but my father explained to me what it was and that he had been in the actual structure in the early '60s while serving in the army in Paris. As for the Notre Dame itself, I was just reading about it only last week.

FWIW, I find all of this to be depressing.
    From a historical architecture standpoint, the flying buttresses alone are priceless. Even without the religious context, this is a marvel of achievement for the Middle Ages.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Are the bells salvageable or would they have melted ?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    From a historical architecture standpoint, the flying buttresses alone are priceless. Even without the religious context, this is a marvel of achievement for the Middle Ages.
    Yep. This was one of the wonders of the late Middle Ages and a precursor to the Italian Renaissance a few centuries away. At least we have pictures and films of it, unlike so many ancient buildings and structures that didn't survive to the present.

Frame is totally engulfed, collapse imminent.

Teams are racing to rescue artwork, now. Much has been saved already. When they saw they couldn't save the frame, they focused on the boxes and galleries.

Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-15-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Are the bells salvageable or would they have melted ?
    Bell towers are gone ... not sure but I think the bells were offsite being restored.

Extraordinary Member

Damn. At least current reports are no one was killed, but 850 years of history gone in 1 day.

Watching the spire fall gave me 9/11 flashbacks.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Bell towers are gone ... not sure but I think the bells were offsite being restored.
    Where are you getting that info?
    CNN just showed firemen walking on the observation platforms of the bell towers, indicating that they are NOT gone and somewhat safe to walk around on.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Once again, Donnie Dumbass sticks his orange nose in where it doesn’t belong. What I know about firefighting wouldn’t fill a shot glass, but I’m guessing tons of water dropped on a building from an aircraft doing say, 150 mph (rough guess) would demolish what’s left of the structure, not to mention wash away nearby vehicles, drown firemen and otherwise flood the entire neighborhood. Just STFU, Trump!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Where are you getting that info?
    CNN just showed firemen walking on the observation platforms of the bell towers, indicating that they are NOT gone and somewhat safe to walk around on.
    BBC is showing the bell towers engulfed. Mayor said they're gone. Doesn't mean collapsed. They're trying to save the frame and the stonework has not much time left to save it.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-42399160 EDIT: If that doesn't work, try CBSN as they are partnered with BBC.

Mayor of Paris stated it appears it started on the roof.

Dept. of Interior and the Fire Marshall aren't sure they can save it, which is why the focus on artwork began.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-15-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    BBC is showing the bell towers engulfed. Mayor said they're gone. Doesn't mean collapsed. They're trying to save the frame and the stonework has not much time left to save it.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-42399160

Mayor of Paris stated it appears it started on the roof.

Dept. of Interior and the Fire Marshall aren't sure they can save it, which is why the focus on artwork began.
    Construction accident?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Construction accident?
    Nobody will confirm, which is probably wise given the current day and age.

EDIT TO ADD: Paris confirmed the 16 most "priceless" artifacts were removed prior to construction.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Damn. At least current reports are no one was killed, but 850 years of history gone in 1 day.

Watching the spire fall gave me 9/11 flashbacks.
    Same here, though obviously 9/11 is still tops for intensity of feeling.

Paris FD Marhsall said the bell towers, everything, is pretty much gutted. The old wood was tinder and why they didn't want anybody in there. They pretty much decided with the wind and the speed, not do go in because it was too dangerous. He also said calling in air support would be irresponsible and imprecise.