Page 264 of 667 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 10005
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you also want to take the position that political discussion shouldn't include concerns about the effects of proposed policies in the future?
    I want to take the position that you're avoiding discussing the real problem -- that your party is blatantly corrupt, dishonest, bigoted and in many cases criminal.

-----
    "At a recent event organized by the Log Cabin Republicans, U.S. House Representative Will Hurd of Texas — the only African-American Republican House member — warned his fellow Republicans, “Don’t be an a–hole. Don’t be a racist. Don’t be a misogynist, right? Don’t be a homophobe.”

The Washington Blade reports that the event, billed as a bipartisan meeting, included elected Democrat and GOP officials who met in the Chastleton Apartments ballroom.

Among the speakers, Hurd laid down his views in plain-speak:

“Many of my colleagues don’t [know]… If you’re at least the age of 40 in most places across this country you have to whisper that you’re a Republican. This is a party that is shrinking. The party is not growing in some of the largest parts of our country.”

“Why is that? I’ll tell you. It’s real simple,” said Hurd. “Don’t be an *******. Don’t be a racist. Don’t be a misogynist, right? Don’t be a homophobe. These are real basic things that we all should learn when we were in kindergarten.”

Despite being from Texas, a stereotypically conservative red state, Hurd has vocally opposed Trump’s cruel treatment of immigrants at the southern border and is one of the eight House Republicans who voted for the pro-LGBTQ Equality Act earlier this year. The Act passed in the House with unanimous Democratic support but will almost certainly die in the Republican-led Senate."

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/06/...ophobic-holes/

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    As for whether I'm critical of Republican leaders, I have said numerous times that I didn't vote for Trump, don't plan to vote for him in the future, and would back your party's frontrunner Joe Biden over Trump in the presidential election.
    Yes, yes. You're one of the "not me" Republicans. I'm sure plenty of the 62.9 million voters who cast their ballot for Trump insist "it wasn't me" so they can still try to sleep at night.

But it's kind of hard to believe, when such a person argues in defense of virtually everything his administration does does, no matter how hateful, corrupt, incompetent bigoted, or sexist.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

"I didn't vote for Trump but I will vote for his enablers! It's COMPLETELY different!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    "I didn't vote for Trump but I will vote for his enablers! It's COMPLETELY different!"
    "Don't blame me! I voted for Jill Stein!"

Tacit approval.

If only those Republicans who say they don't support Trumps policies would actually protest those policies.

You'd almost think they agree with them to an extent.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Yes, yes. You're one of the "not me" Republicans. I'm sure plenty of the 62.9 million voters who cast their ballot for Trump insist "it wasn't me" so they can still try to sleep at night.

But it's kind of hard to believe, when such a person argues in defense of virtually everything his administration does does, no matter how hateful, corrupt, incompetent bigoted, or sexist.
    And the other side would say "better a vote for Trump than a vote for baby killers."

I really think many of the left struggle to grasp what a deal breaker abortion is for the pro life side. If you believe a baby's life matters then that trumps (Pun not intended) everything else. You'll vote for the candidate who believes in protecting innocent babies regardless of anything else. Stopping murder matters more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    And the other side would say "better a vote for Trump than a vote for baby killers."

I really think many of the left struggle to grasp what a deal breaker abortion is for the pro life side. If you believe a baby's life matters then that trumps (Pun not intended) everything else. You'll vote for the candidate who believes in protecting innocent babies regardless of anything else. Stopping murder matters more.
    But that same thought doesn't add up with the aversion to any type of real gun control legislation either. Its hypocrisy. Not to mention the whole "every man for himself" healthcare GOP pushes. Although the actual people love things like Medicare etc. that GOP would love to gut to pay for more tanks we don't need.

If they so valued life that would flow to wanting that life to have the best healthcare possible, the best education to better themselves and earn more. It is a complete contradiction

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Not backing Trump is a really, really low bar.
    Voting for a Democrat gives the party control of one of the three branches of the government, as well as the capacity to nominate judges to the Federal Court and Supreme Court, so it is a pretty big deal to back someone you disagree with on key issues for President.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What they like to call RHINO. I notice a lot of people defend trump and/or his policies while saying they don't support trump.
    Do you mean RINO? Republican In Name Only? Or is there another variation?

The tendency of Republicans to defend many of Trump's policies isn't that unusual, since their objection is to the things that a typical Republican executive wouldn't do.

Many liberals are going to object to Trump partially on the basis of things that a President Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker or Mitt Romney would do.

Much of the objection to Trump isn't due to policies, but the poor execution of policies. The question on citizenship would be on the Census if the Commerce department hadn't failed the Administrative Procedures Act test.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

I've been pretty open about voting for Gary Johnson.

Given Trump's approval rating among Republicans, I'm guessing the overwhelming majority of those who voted for him would be happy to still admit it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

And yet those same people work to keep birth control and sex education away from the young people who most need it - something that has nothing to do with "stopping murders".

For some of these people I think it's more about demonstrating how morally superior they believe themselves to be.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 07-06-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

But they only care about the babies being born. They don't seem to give a damn about feeding or clothing those babies or providing proper shelter for them once the umbilical cord is cut.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    And yet those same people work to keep birth control and sex education away from the young people who most need it - something that has nothing to do with "stopping murders".

For some of these people I think it's more about demonstrating how morally superior they believe themselves to be.
    Yeah, its ridiculously hypocritical, but if they dont care it takes nothing from trigger's point.

Guns and abortions create powerful single issue voters. They will forgive any amount of evil and stupid in other areas to get what they want.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The ironic part of the equation is that these very same pro life fanatics, obsessed with protecting those helpless zygotes also, in most cases, support the death penalty. And, without fail, these people don’t see or comprehend their own hypocrisy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

U.K. Envoy to U.S. Rubbished Trump in Cables, Mail Reports

Kim Darroch, the British ambassador to the U.S., described President Donald Trump as “inept” and “incompetent” in diplomatic memos to his bosses at the U.K. Foreign Office, the Mail on Sunday reported.

The newspaper reported that Darroch used cables and briefing notes to comment on Trump and those who surround him. Trump’s White House was “uniquely dysfunctional” and given to “knife fights,” Darroch said, according to the newspaper.

Darroch, 65, a former national security adviser to the U.K. government and a career diplomat, has been the British ambassador in Washington since January 2016.

In the memos, which were seen by the Mail on Sunday, Darroch didn’t rule out Trump being indebted to “dodgy Russians,” yet said that the president had frequently overcome a life “mired by scandal.”

Trump may “emerge from the flames, battered but intact, like [Arnold] Schwarzenegger in the final scenes of ‘The Terminator,’” Darroch wrote, according to the newspaper. “Do not write him off.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Alaska’s governor is trying to destroy its universities. The state may never recover

We rarely devote much attention to what happens in the largest state of the US. No, not Texas – Alaska, which is bigger, geographically, than the next three states combined (Texas, California and Montana). Separated from the mainland by Canada, Alaska is the biggest state yet has fewer inhabitants than the smallest (Rhode Island). This creates enormous challenges for governance, including in higher education. And Alaska governor Mike Dunleavy’s new budget will make these challenges far, far worse.

In a shocking example of political overreach, Dunleavy announced 182 line-item vetoes to his state’s 2020 budget last week. He thereby cut the budget proposed by the Alaska legislature by almost $410m in general funds. Almost one-third of the cuts will come from the University of Alaska system, which will see its budget cut by $130m – a staggering 41%.
    In a shocked response, the University of Alaska system’s president, James R Johnsen, said Dunleavy’s veto “will strike an institutional and reputational blow from which we may likely never recover”. Scott Downing, faculty senate leader at the University of Alaska Anchorage, told the Washington Post: “It’s going to be devastating. The effects on programs, on the students, on staff and faculty are just going to be – it’s kind of unthinkable.”

Dunleavy has defended his draconian budget cuts as a “policy choice” to increase the Permanent Fund dividend Alaskans receive each year – a major election promise he made during his campaign. While this might be good news for drug dealers – research shows a 14% increase in substance-abuse incidents the day after the annual payout – there is little evidence that the dividends actually boost the state economy. But the University of Alaska system does.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But they only care about the babies being born. They don't seem to give a damn about feeding or clothing those babies or providing proper shelter for them once the umbilical cord is cut.