Page 548 of 667 FirstFirst ... 48448498538544545546547548549550551552558598648 ... LastLast
Results 8,206 to 8,220 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Boy, I must have been out of the loop on this kind of thing. I thought people stopped doing the black face thing back in the Al Jolson days but he did this in 2001? Although I've never seen it, I do recall seeing how Lord Laurence Olivier played Othello on stage and in a filmed version of Othello with dark make up but that was the 1960s. I think so did Orson Welles.
    I realized how wrong blackface was when I saw Archie Bunker in blackface on an episode of All In the Family. That was in the 1970s and I was 7 years old. So 2001 is not nearly far enough in the past to use that as an excuse.

i don't blame Trudeau. every year some asshat in the United States makes the news for doing black face. and, to the one, they claim that they didn't know that it was offensive. and everyone gives them a pass. because who would ever know that the intention was to mock black people? :eye roll:

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I realized how wrong blackface was when I saw Archie Bunker in blackface on an episode of All In the Family. That was in the 1970s and I was 7 years old. So 2001 is not nearly far enough in the past to use that as an excuse.
    There are some old movies where people did it as a disguise but I don't see how anyone was fooled. They usually put like motor oil or mud on their face and everyone one was like, yeah that's not the guy we're looking for. dumb.

On this date in 2014, 2015, as well as 2016, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of North Carolina Congresswoman Renee Ellmers, who used a unique strategy for reaching Congress... she rode the 2010 Tea Party Wave on the strength of her campaigning hard against the “Ground Zero Mosque” in New York City, and while spewing out that sort of bigoted nonsense, accused Anderson Cooper of being anti-religion for questioning her pro-Christian/anti-Muslim worldview. After barely winning her first term, North Carolina’s 2nd District was gerrymandered after redistricting to be far more conservative, and keep her in office. During her second term, she voted for the 2013 Government Shutdown, and drew headlines for saying she was keeping her Congressional salary, saying, “I need my paycheck.” She’s also argued for men getting to pay less for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act because “they won’t be using the maternity leave”, tried spinning the GOP’s “War on Women” by saying the real war was being pulled off with the ACA, and in July 2014, advised her fellow Republicans that the only way they, as a party, would win over female voters in elections was to “bring policy down to a woman’s level”. After Ellmers' bailed on the harsh anti-choice bill, HR 7, because was not thrilled with the language about the definition of rape in the bill and angered the anti-abortion movement, Ellmers fell from grace with the anti-choice movement so fast, they were demanding she be left off the GOP's special committee to investigate Planned Parenthood. Between that, and rumors of an affair began to swirl involving Ellmers, and California Congressman Kevin McCarthy, she was damaged enough to finish third in the GOP Primary in 2016. She is now mercifully out of office, and has yet to mount any kind of a comeback.

It was on this date in 2017, as well as 2018, that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Mark Holbrook, who ran for Congress in 2016, attempting to win office in Maine's 1st Congressional District and pulling an upset in the GOP Primary by all of 58 votes. He thus advanced to attempt to unseat Democratic Congresswoman Chellie Pingree, but lost in that effort with only 42% of the vote. That is ironically an improvement upon his performance in the 2014 elections, when he only got 28% of the vote in an attempt to get into the Maine state legislature, and we're not sure how his bizarre football-themed ad could have helped elevate his profile. Especially when you consider Maine's 1st District is pretty far away from Foxboro, Massachusetts, where the nearest NFL team plays. Well, Holbrook's TV ads were also centered around portraying himself as an "anti-establishment" candidate, which got him as far as it did, adding in a little irrational criticism of Barack Obama, and winning over GOP voters by supporting Donald Trump's insane idea for a border wall. Which, if there's a state that shouldn't be worried about folks coming across the U.S./Mexico border on foot, you'd think it would be Maine, right? Well, Holbrook was actually claiming he was harder to the right on immigration than even Donald Trump, if you can believe that.

Looking at Holbrook's issue stances, it's noteworthy that under his stance on abortion, he gripes about "selling baby parts" which tells you he still believes in the hoax perpetrated by the Center for Medical Progress. But on the majority of issues, Holbrook's stances are vague, or unspecified. He was contemplating running for U.S. Senate, but announced he was mounting a challenge to Rep. Pingree again in 2018, this time not even having an opponent to face off against in the GOP Primary for the seat.

In July of 2017, Holbrook decided he would write an op-ed in the Portland Press Herald where he gave his humble thoughts that "fear-mongering by liberals on ACA repeal incites hostility and violence". How dare you tell people that the Republican plan to repeal the ACA would leave 23 million people without insurance and tens of thousands more people would die ANNUALLY as a result! Those facts provided by the Congressional Budget Office and medical organizations nationwide are just "fear-mongering"...

This was only a slightly less inflammatory quote than seeing Mark Holbrook actually echo the disgusting comments by Donald Trump after white supremacists and Neo-Nazis carried out a terror attack and blamed "both sides" for the violence, saying they were "both sides of the same hate-filled coin". Y'know, the same way the people who stormed the beaches of Normandy to fight the Nazis were equally to blame, right?

As a result, this time Mark Holbrook’s efforts in getting elected were far more pathetic, and he only got 32% of the vote in his rematch against Congresswoman Pingree. We are guessing he stays at home in 2020, but then again, some people are just a special combination of dumb and obsessive to keep trying and failing.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Democrats do still want a mandate so it's relevant to a policy question.

If you're unsure of my views on anything, ask me a non-loaded question and I'll do my best to answer. The way you phrased it assumed clear consequences that I'm not sure would happen
    When you ask that people provide better explanation of how Democrats in general want something other than Open Borders despite being shown detailed analyses involving the legislation and actual actions that have been taken which prove that is not the case, you don't have much credibility when you complain about loaded questions. BTW more Dems of influence are on record wanting Medicare for All (No Mandate Necessary) than for going back to repair the sabotaged ACA, so it's still irrelevant. Anyone who was keeping their Ins for that reason have dropped it by now, unless they are too uninformed/ignorant/stupid to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I doubt that Democrats would stick with elements of the proposed bill if there was no Republican President. It paid for funding the wall.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...migration-bill

There doesn't seem to be any indication that the bill was supposed to be the permanent status quo when it comes to determining our standards for who is allowed to immigrate legally.
    You claim there was no policy brought forward and when presented with one (a bipartisan policy no less) you claim doubt that the Democrats would adhere to it. All this despite it being a bipartisan bill and despite the fact you have no supporting evidence to back your opinion.
    You're arguing in bad faith here. It seems clear that you don't actually want the Democrats to give any sort of policy because that would mean you could no longer assign them partial blame for the current miserable clusterfuck being pepetrated at the border.
    It's mass child abuse initiated by a Republican President, sanctioned by the Republican leadership and approved by the Republican electorate who stand by and say nothing. Your people can either do nothing and admit your approval of this abuse or you can stand up to your party leadership and tell them you don't support it and threaten to withdraw your support if they don't do something to stop it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-20-2019 at 10:52 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh WBE! Here's a something unsurprising

NEW : GOP Senate candidate Jason Lewis has made acting Ilhan Omar a centerpiece of his campaign, labeling her anti-Semitic.

But in audio from his radio show in 2013 he said the "Jewish lobby" controlled the GOP and Republicans had "dual loyalties."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe not, but I'm still curious. I can better understand someone from the Southern U.S. States doing it than I can someone from Canada.
    I get the sense from this story that if Trudeau wasn't a beloved figure on the left this would be going very differently for him. If we're going to try and cancel people and tear them down, ideology shouldn't protect them.

So far I don't like the way this is being met socially. It feels inconsistent and hypocritical. Personally, I think his apology is fine and we can move on. Few have enjoyed such leeway with their apologies of late though...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Absolutely, but that point is frequently raised as /an excuse for us to do nothing/. All the time. I don't much like parroting their reasoning in the context it was brought up in.
    I'll start by saying: I always conclude that addressing climate change is a necessity. But damned if the China/India problem doesn't make me wonder: are all the costs (and there will be costs) to implementing a greener society worth it in the end? Will we suffer economically and socially chasing a goal that was out of control to reach?

The optimist in me pushes it down, but if we're being honest with ourselves the pollution from China and India really is a problem without a good solution. Which sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh WBE! Here's a something unsurprising
    Go figure, the party embracing white nationalism is anti-Semitic.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that it wasn't a single phone call from Trump to the president of Ukraine...

HE CALLED EIGHT TIMES. Each demanding they assist Rudy Giuliani to help link Biden's son to some sort of scandal.

Currently, AG Barr is trying to find a way to ignore whistleblower laws to make the whole thing go away... but this one seems like it's going to be hard to get the toothpaste back into the tube.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that it wasn't a single phone call from Trump to the president of Ukraine...

HE CALLED EIGHT TIMES. Each demanding they assist Rudy Giuliani to help link Biden's son to some sort of scandal.

Currently, AG Barr is trying to find a way to ignore whistleblower laws to make the whole thing go away... but this one seems like it's going to be hard to get the toothpaste back into the tube.
    I think he called once, but pressured Zelezny eight times in that one call.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I think he called once, but pressured Zelezny eight times in that one call.
    Either way, it sounds like Trump being unable to take no for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I get the sense from this story that if Trudeau wasn't a beloved figure on the left this would be going very differently for him. If we're going to try and cancel people and tear them down, ideology shouldn't protect them.

So far I don't like the way this is being met socially. It feels inconsistent and hypocritical. Personally, I think his apology is fine and we can move on. Few have enjoyed such leeway with their apologies of late though...
    I mean if your a party of shitheels and your actions are consistently shitty then yeah people are going to call you put harder.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean if your a party of shitheels and your actions are consistently shitty then yeah people are going to call you put harder.
    I think that's pretty close to the definition of hypocrisy. Plenty of non-political people have done less offensive things than repeated use of blackface and been attacked much harder than this.

It shouldn't be about the politics. It should be about the racism and that invalidate the political affiliations.