Page 551 of 667 FirstFirst ... 51451501541547548549550551552553554555561601651 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'm impressed that the President finally did a crime that we're still talking about 4 days later.
    In our defence he does pull some new **** daily so.....

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Whilst I get what the articles saying, I disagree that the movies got a MAGA intent. At least intentionally. Its just Stallone doing a mediocre action movie and theres no real acceptable 'villains' left. So generic cartel members (who irl are pretty horrible) are seen as an acceptable target. If EVERY mexican in the movie is evil sure, but its no different then him murdering any ethnic gangsters
    With Nazis taking over the US government and Russia trying to toss the western world into chaos, I find it a bit of stretch to say that there are no real acceptable villains left.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    With Nazis taking over the US government and Russia trying to toss the western world into chaos, I find it a bit of stretch to say that there are no real acceptable villains left.
    Ok let me rephrase that "Media acceptable villains" because as clear as it is, still a chunk of the consumer will disagree that the Whitehouse and Russians are villains wheras Cartels are obviously bad guys

BANNED

Yup. We cant have better things.

Astonishing Member

It's just a Rambo movie. That article is way too sensationalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's more about why you should stop dumping litter into a river when your neighbor won't.
    Because someone has to be the grown-up.

That's a new topic to the chain of posts, but my views on borders are more about how Democrats don't seem to be addressing the most important question; what should our policy of legal immigration be? The main arguments are about how to control the border and how we should treat those who have come into the country illegally, but the central question is being sidestepped. As far as I can tell, there aren't prominent Democrats saying that they're happy with the status quo, so they're not expressing a preference for any policy when it comes to limits on legal immigration.

The way I've asked it multiple times is have Democrats expressed any opinion on a limiting principle on legal immigration (an upper limit on the number of immigrants who should be allowed in)? If so, what is it? If not, what should we infer from the silence, and why should we infer that? The question can be answered without anyone having to challenge the premise.
    There is no silence. A policy has been presented with the criteria you are fixated on but you refuse to acknowledge that because then you couldn't assign any blame to the Democrats and would be forced to face the fact that you support a Republican party that no longer exists. Face it. The GOP now supports mass child abuse and it's electorate must approve otherwise they'd be protesting right? Their deafening silence speaks to their true feelings.

I do currently support the Democratic frontrunner for President.
    At least until a palatable Republican candidate presents himself. You'll drop Biden in a heartbeat should that occur. If you supported the GOP through the Bush and Obama administrations you've already shown yourself to be of dubious character.

I'd be willing to support the party if they offer a superior clearly articulated alternative. Unless you think that a policy President Warren would propose with a Democratic House and Senate would certainly include funding for the wall, the bipartisan legislation isn't exactly an articulation of what the party would do in power.
    You say that but frankly, I doubt your integrity. If you can't support a policy co-written by the party you support, why would support a purely Democrat policy?
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-21-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It's just a Rambo movie. That article is way too sensationalist.
    I mean, Rambo movies can be over the top, but you can't claim that they never had anything to say. First Blood, and the novel it was based on, in particular definitely has a point that it wanted to make. Some of the reviews I've seen of the new movie seemed hung up on it NOT really having a coherent message, and just trucking in stereotypes. I haven't seen it myself yet, though.

Trump’s Ukraine Extortion Scheme Could Bring Down Mike Pence

Donald Trump is in more hot water over his blatantly criminal discussion with the president of Ukraine in which he essentially extorted the country into investigating Joe Biden’s family.

As MSNBC’s Joy Reid noted on Saturday, what could make this scandal different from the one involving Russia is that Mike Pence may be directly implicated as well.

“If Pence … went in knowing why the aid was being held up, went in and spoke to the leader of Ukraine knowing what stick the administration had over them … does he then face the jeopardy of perhaps also being drawn into the questions of impeachment?” Reid asked.

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance responded, “If the answer is yes, that Pence was explicitly part of some sort of a scheme to either bribe or extort the Ukrainians then the American people need to know that and Congress needs to take appropriate action.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I have a theory, a somewhat crazy (or not) and unsubstantiated theory.

What if the Whistleblower complaint wasn't about one phone call but two, one (or more) to the Ukraine President, the other to Putin? What if the 'Promise' was made, not to Zelensky, but to Putin? What if the promise made to Putin was that Trump would not give Ukraine the aid package that Congress voted for it to have?

Trump’s Ukraine call reveals a president convinced of his own invincibility

When the July 24 congressional testimony of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III deflated the impeachment hopes of Democrats, President Trump crowed “no collusion” and claimed vindication from accusations that he had conspired with Russia in the 2016 election.

Then, the very next day, Trump allegedly sought to collude with another foreign country in the coming election — pressing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to dig up what he believed would be damaging information about one of his leading Democratic challengers, former vice president Joe Biden, according to people familiar with the conversation.

The push by Trump and his personal attorney, Rudolph W. Giuliani, to influence the newly elected Ukrainian leader reveals a president convinced of his own invincibility — apparently willing and even eager to wield the vast powers of the United States to taint a political foe and confident that no one could hold him back.

Rudy Giuliani accused me of exposing Paul Manafort’s Ukraine deals to help U.S. Democrats. That’s a lie.

Serhiy Leshchenko is a Ukrainian journalist and political activist.

On Aug. 19, 2016, I convened a news conference in Kiev at which I revealed previously secret records of payments made by the former pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych to Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort. (Yanukovych fled the country in February 2014 after he was toppled by our Revolution of Dignity, a popular uprising on the streets of Kiev.) The information came from the “black ledger of the Party of Regions,” which was obtained by an anonymous source in the burned-out ruins of the headquarters of Yanukoych’s party. Yanukovych had used the ledger to keep records of his illegal transactions. At that time, although I was a member of parliament, I continued to combine that position with my journalistic work, which is allowed by the laws of Ukraine.

I will always be angry at Manafort. His work contributed greatly to Yanukovych’s election victory in 2010; Yanukovych then used his position as president to enrich himself and his inner circle. I have no doubt that Yanukovych paid Manafort for his services out of the funds he robbed from Ukrainian taxpayers.
    Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the Manafort revelations would become fodder for the U.S. elections in 2020. President Trump’s lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, the mouthpiece of this campaign, is not only attempting to rehabilitate Manafort but is also working to undermine U.S. relations with Ukraine, which has been confronting Russian aggression on its own for more than five years. Giuliani and his associates are trying to drag our newly elected president, Volodymyr Zelensky, into a conflict between two foreign political parties, drastically limiting Ukraine’s room for maneuver in respect to the United States, perhaps its most important international partner.

While it is still likely within the margin of error, Elizabeth Warren is actually in first place in the most recent Iowa Register poll, by about 2% over Biden.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I read this a couple times but I cant figure out what you meant to communicate. Clarify please?
    Put simply...

There's a case for folks being able to admit they have screwed up, and are trying to get it right now.

That said, these situations where there's more than one instance coming out are "Worst Case Scenario..." for folks who want to make a space for folks to be able to change. One? You can say "I'm buying into that one mistake can be made, and that person is still redeemable."

Multiple instances? Whole other can of worms.

If you are saying "I'm buying into that this person who has apparently done this sort of things a few times is also redeemable.", it's not unreasonable for folks to look at that and feel like you are covering for someone based on who they are/how they fit.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trump has now started calling the whistleblower an "American spy in one of our intelligence agencies" so the new framing is "deep state" all the way.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

HEy, WBE. Amanda Chase is at it again:

https://twitter.com/JessDLT/status/1175109915100270593