Page 121 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 3252

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But those people already hate Trump and have from the start. What's Biden going to say to the people who are looking at the employment numbers and how Trump is "getting tough" with China and support the trade wars? How's he going to beat Trump if won't offer those people some sort of alternative that's going to improve their lives?
    We have politicians who have concrete plans to do all of that and remind me again what they're polling at both in general and in the primary? Policy matters to a lot of us, definitely, but it's rarely what matters en masse unfortuantely.

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Today in terrible leader news , Trump pardoned Conrad Black not for any real legal reasons. But because he supported him back in 2015 on National Review. They basically can't even cite why he legally should get the pardon beyond he was a great business man. Yet this guy was convicted back in 2007 as you can read.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/186276...2cddSQU1P4M3nA
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That is my viewpoint as well. To me, what makes a human being a human being begins with awareness of self, NOT the heartbeat.
    To be fair, that seems to be backed up by our analogous situations in our own lives. I mean, we even see it in medical television shows. When Laverne died on Scrubs, it was because her brain stopped working--but her body didn't give out until well after they turned off life support. At the point of being "brain dead", you cease to have an actual life--your body is just following behind your brain.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Well I feel like a dork, I got Kennedy mixed up with Roberts. Oops.
    It is worth noting that Roberts is probably going to be playing it a bit safer with his vote now that it actually can swing the court to overriding precedent. I think that he is going to be pretty cautious about it. Still, I'd brace for a Supreme Court that is willing to allow states to pair back abortion laws. For example, while I don't think they'll ultimately condone the ability of states to punish women who get abortions out of state (the full faith and credit clause seems to be the main driver against such a policy) or even the punishments for getting an abortion that early, I think the Supreme Court will ultimately say that states have the ability to limit abortions to the level that they deem appropriate so long as it is still technically available. So, heart beat bills will probably be what we will get and they'll allow for that. I expect that we'll have a shattered national system of abortion rights for the next couple years until we can get a Congress that is willing to make it a federal legislative issue themselves. Similar to how the outlook is for marijuana legalization.

EDIT: In other Supreme Court news, they have ruled in favor of an Oklahoma tribe in favor of their hunting rights. It was a 5-4 decision--with Gorsuch providing the tie-breaking vote with the liberal wing of the court.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 05-20-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But those people already hate Trump and have from the start. What's Biden going to say to the people who are looking at the employment numbers and how Trump is "getting tough" with China and support the trade wars? How's he going to beat Trump if won't offer those people some sort of alternative that's going to improve their lives?
    I am not supporting Biden. I am trying to explain why he is ahead with the Dem rank and file. It's all about beating Trump. "Those people" you talk about, whho voted for Trump in 2016 over those issues, obviously don't have the mental capacity to understand real solutions to those problems. So a they might think a Centrist like Biden, who does talk to blue collar voters, might be what is needed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think it is a lot more simple than the way we are framing this debate. The truth is that both Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have brands in the political process. They have become household names and people like the both of them. We'll see if there are any break outs in the latter months following some debates and the like to differentiate the candidates. I think we can probably see Harris and Warren break away from the pack to be more competitive with Sanders and Biden. That's probably the four-way race that I see happening in the next few months.

Biden and Sanders have name recognition. More so than any other Dem candidate.

It's also May of 2019. Still lots of time before the first vote in the primary is cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Biden and Sanders have name recognition. More so than any other Dem candidate.

It's also May of 2019. Still lots of time before the first vote in the primary is cast.
    I agree with this, anyone focusing on the polls overmuch at this stage is doing themselves a disservice.

Nobody really knew who Obama was in May.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    He was down nearly 15 points underneath Clinton in that same period. And she was the only big name candidate at the time. We have two big name candidates in the race right now. Harris, for her part, is down by around the same margin underneath Sanders. There is still plenty of time left for both her and another candidate to break out big. Plus, Biden has largely been able to trend on his friendship with Obama. It'll be more difficult for him, I figure, when he keeps talking about how he has no sympathy for the younger generation and the like. Candidates like Harris and Warren have the charisma and the policies to back up their positions. Both Sanders and Biden have been continuously vague about their positions. And Sanders had, at one point, even said that there were too many people getting "hung up" on social issues like abortion when we should've focused on things that unite us (like economic issues). This is shaping up to be a primary cycle more consumed with social policy issues than economic ones--not when unemployment is so low and the only real damage being done to the economy is stuff that the president is actively in charge of, like trade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    And most of the voters have never heard of Bill Clinton before the elections. Clinton ran against a sitting president and won.

Everyone has heard of Hillary Clinton, the former First Lady of the U.S., a senator and secretary of state. And yet they voted for trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    And most of the voters have never heard of Bill Clinton before the elections. Clinton ran against a sitting president and won.

Everyone has heard of Hillary Clinton, the former First Lady of the U.S., a senator and secretary of state. And yet they voted for trump.
    More people voted for Clinton. And you cannot say Trump was an unknown name. He had as much name recognition and as studies have shown, got much more News coverage than Clinton.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'd say it's a liability only to Sanders if he continues supporting the NRA which is a serious nonstarter to Democrat voters.

I'm surprised Trump is being quiet about his wanting to veer SCOTUS hard right since being subtle isn't his strong suit.

====================

Trump Threatens ‘Official End Of Iran’ If It Wants To Fight

The president’s warning comes amid escalating tensions between the two nations. The Leader of the Free World openly threatened another nation, and cowardly Republicans in Congress looked the other way. Fucking shameful!

Trump Says Fox News Is Moving To ‘Losing’ Side By Covering Democrats

The president claimed the outlet was making the wrong move by giving airtime to his opponents. To be honest, I wonder why Faux News did that too. I mean, it's not like they're "fair and balanced', that much is common knowledge.

Chick-fil-A Executive Calls Supporting Anti-LGBTQ Organizations A ‘Higher Calling’

The fast-food company has continued to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-LGBTQ groups despite backlash. I used to enjoy dining at Chick-fil-a, but not anymore. Their homophobic policies are nothing short of repugnant.

Wave Of Protests Planned For Tuesday Over State Abortion Bans

The Women’s March, Planned Parenthood and other groups are staging nationwide actions against the new “heartbeat” laws and Alabama’s abortion ban.

Navy Submarine Sailors Kept ‘Rape’ Lists Of Female Colleagues, Military Probe Finds

One woman told investigators the lists made “her question all males on the boat.” As a Navy veteran (1976-1996), this disgusts me no end.
    Here's why FOX News has Democratic candidates on. They have them on a live show like FOX News Sunday and let them have their say with Chris Wallace to make themselves look "fair and balanced." Then on Monday night or Tuesday night, they'll show an edited version of the Democrat's remarks on Hannity's show or Ingraham's show, in order to make the Democrat look foolish and/or evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    In a three-way race during a recession.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    In a three-way race during a recession.
    After quitting only to rejoin the race there was no reasonable way for Perot to win. That shook many people's confidence in his ability to stand up to the pressures of the presidency.