Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
I think it is fair and realistic to criticize people for paying too much attention to polls this far out, and you obviously disagree. That's how discourse works and I'm fine with that. I feel that the polls are being pushed to somehow create a self-fulfilling prophesy of Biden and/or control the narrative to support him as the nominee, and I don't think anyone should be fine with that.

I did notice you declined to respond to all the ways polls can be made to have misleading results, the ones used regularly to manipulate what they can then call 'public opinion' in a audio blurb or campaign mailer. I'd encourage you and 'many people' to look into such information to see how valid it is and verify your sources and the stories you find. Nobody is perfect in this, but if the past few years has taught the public anything it should be to give everything you are exposed to a rigorous smell test.
I didn't respond because skepticism about polling is earned and necessary. You're right about all the ways it can be in error or misleading. However, merely having the media discuss polls is not an endorsement. The initial article took that stance and had flimsy backing for doing so.

We will discuss polls for the next year and change. We should always view them skeptically. We should also avoid making the media the scapegoat if the person we want isn't getting the most discussion. Biden right now has the most steam by the best measure we have, but there's a lot of time and the race hasn't really started. So if you're anti-Biden, there's no need to go down the route of that article yet. Or really at all. "Blame the media" is a dumbass right-wing thing. Let's let them have that and be the adults.