Page 519 of 667 FirstFirst ... 19419469509515516517518519520521522523529569619 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 10004
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Republican Party aren't even championing democracy for their own voters in primaries, and are rigging elections for... Trump.

I mean, wouldn't it be smarter to rig the f***ing thing so someone sane won, instead? They're riding this elevator all the way to the bottom.
    The thing is, do Republican voters even care? I suspect they don’t. I mean, they like Trump, they like the racism and xenophobia and general ugliness he spews because it makes them feel good about themselves, so why change things now? The GOP wouldn’t do this if they weren’t afraid of rocking the boat with the base by having nonsense like primaries.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Trump Says He’s Called Off Negotiations With Taliban After Afghanistan Bombing

WASHINGTON — President Trump said on Saturday that he had canceled a secret meeting at Camp David with Taliban leaders and the president of Afghanistan and has called off negotiations with the Afghan insurgent group that were close to a peace agreement months in the making.
    “Unbeknownst to almost everyone,” Mr. Trump wrote in a series of tweets, Taliban leaders and the Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani, were headed to the United States tonight for what would have been a historic Sunday meeting at Camp David.

But Mr. Trump angrily said that “in order to build false leverage,” the Taliban had admitted to a suicide car bomb attack on Thursday that had killed an American soldier in the capital of Kabul.
    I knew it, I knew he would blow it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

The Republican Party aren't even championing democracy for their own voters in primaries, and are rigging elections for... Trump.

I mean, wouldn't it be smarter to rig the f***ing thing so someone sane won, instead? They're riding this elevator all the way to the bottom.
    Man...

On the one hand, it is less democratic.

On the other hand, it's not like this will be the very first time that one of the big two has decided not to hold a state primary during a cycle where it's President was running for reelection.

NOAA staff warned in Sept. 1 directive against contradicting Trump

Nearly a week before the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration publicly backed President Trump over its own scientists, a top NOAA official warned its staff against contradicting the president.

In an agencywide directive sent Sept. 1 to National Weather Service personnel, hours after Trump asserted, with no evidence, that Alabama “would most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated,” staff was told to “only stick with official National Hurricane Center forecasts if questions arise from some national level social media posts which hit the news this afternoon.”

They were also told not to “provide any opinion,” according to a copy of the email obtained by The Washington Post.

A NOAA meteorologist who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution said the note, understood internally to be referring to Trump, came after the National Weather Service office in Birmingham contradicted Trump by tweeting Alabama would “NOT see any impacts from the hurricane.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In other words, fuck science! Gotta placate the man-baby by any means necessary.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    In other words, fuck science! Gotta placate the man-baby by any means necessary.
    I'll never understand what they are all afraid of. He's an idiot and unstable. Even the DOD is afraid of him. Cut off his twitter account and kick out his so called advisords and he's harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Man...

On the one hand, it is less democratic.

On the other hand, it's not like this will be the very first time that one of the big two has decided not to hold a state primary during a cycle where it's President was running for reelection.
    Serious question, as I cannot find the answer with a quick google search: Were there already declared primary opponents to those sitting presidents in those previous cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Russia's state media has more on that:
    Draft peace agreement between the Taliban and the Trump admin said that U.S. forces will leave five bases in Afghanistan within 135 days of signing the document, the U.S. & the Taliban insist that Russia be present at the possible signing of the agreements.
    If Obama had done that, he would have been impeached.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Serious question, as I cannot find the answer with a quick google search: Were there already declared primary opponents to those sitting presidents in those previous cases?
    Going from memory, John Wolfe Jr. declared in 2011.

In the other times that South Carolina has previously done this(George HW Bush/Bill Clinton/Maybe Reagan) I couldn't say for sure.

Seems like the reasoning that former President Obama was the only person who had actually made the SC ballot was why they cancelled it that year.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-08-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

How are you all feeling about this?

Bernie Sanders Campaign Defends Use of Uncensored N-Word in 1997 Book: ‘Critiquing Racism is Not Racism’

In the portion that the site quoted, Sanders wrote “For a hundred years, the white workers of the South were the most exploited white workers in America. They were paid the lowest wages, they endured the worst working conditions, their housing was abysmal, their kids went to the most backward schools, and very few could send their children to college. But what did they have? They were given ‘niggers’ to hate and look down on, ‘niggers’ who couldn’t vote, drink at their water fountains, use the same bathrooms, or sit up front in the buses or movie theaters.”
    OK, so the point is not exactly new. It kind of takes away the agency of those white workers to make excuse for their racism though. As Toni Morrison said, if the only way you can feel tall is for someone else to be on their knees, you have a problem. Isn't it much more the case that part of the white working class consciously kept voting for racists because they WANT people of color on their knees?

Also, would it have killed him to use asterisks? Can I even quote that without getting banned from this board?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Going from memory, John Wolfe Jr. declared in 2011.

In the other times that South Carolina has previously done this(George HW Bush/Bill Clinton/Maybe Reagan) I couldn't say for sure.

Seems like the reasoning that former President Obama was the only person who had actually made the SC ballot was why they cancelled it that year.
    Thanks.

If any of the candidates want to challenge that, they have a good shot though:

The rule that governs South Carolina's presidential preference primary allows the state party to cancel the primary only by a vote at the state party convention, within two years of the subsequent primary.

South Carolina Republicans did not vote to cancel the primary at either of its last two conventions.

The rule gives the state Republican executive committee power to reverse a convention's decision to cancel the primary if "circumstances surrounding the presidential election shall have substantially changed such that a primary would be deemed advisable."

But it does not give the executive committee the opposite power -- the power to unilaterally cancel the primary.
    South Carolina GOP violates own rules in canceling primary for Trump

The part that leaves me shaking my head the most is how the GOP are responding to every further incident of Trump corruption, Trump instability, Trump insanity, or Trump ignoring the Constitution by digging in and cementing him as their nominee HARDER.

Like, I get that it's operating like a cult these days... but must you really gulp down the Kool-Aid like someone's going to take it from you? Spies popping cyanide pills in movies don't seem this eager to ingest poison.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    How are you all feeling about this?

Bernie Sanders Campaign Defends Use of Uncensored N-Word in 1997 Book: ‘Critiquing Racism is Not Racism’

OK, so the point is not exactly new. It kind of takes away the agency of those white workers to make excuse for their racism though. As Toni Morrison said, if the only way you can feel tall is for someone else to be on their knees, you have a problem. Isn't it much more the case that part of the white working class consciously kept voting for racists because they WANT people of color on their knees?
    I'll say this... it's not the most egregious use of the n-word I've ever seen, by any stretch. He's quoting the ethos of racists, and it's pointing out how racism was used to divide people who should have been united in their financial hardship against the wealthy.

That being said, it's still unnecessary to use it there to drive that point home. I've argued the same point about how rich white dudes convince poor white people to hate poor black people to distract them from who their real threat to their way of life is. I just did, and look, I didn't need to throw a slur or epithet in that statement.

So, is it acceptable? No. Is Bernie racist? No. Guy did go south for Civil Rights, even if there's little to note about his time doing so.

What he is doing, is letting his privilege show, though, by thinking that using the word in any context would acceptable.

I'm smart enough to realize that the white nationalists at the Daily Caller are predominantly the ones throwing this out there not to end his campaign for president, but to see if they maybe can try to embarrass him enough to maybe swing his Senate seat red. Meanwhile, that same site will endorse Roy Moore in Alabama.

On this date in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of former Arizona Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the man who has embodied a bigoted, corrupt, and aberrant image of "justice" for Maricopa County for decades. During his lengthy tenure, Arpaio oversaw a prolific amount of inmate deaths in Arizona’s prisons, looked the other way and not investigated hundreds of rapes and child molestations in the town of El Mirage, buddied up to xenophobic militia groups and illegal immigrant patrols (travelling down to the border and far outside his jurisdiction to do so) and has been investigated by the Department of Justice and been discovered to have pervasive racism throughout his department. The self-proclaimed “America’s Toughest Sheriff” prides himself on cruelty, bigotry, and ignorance, trying to overcome the $140 million in lawsuits (you read that right, $140 MILLION) that have been filed against him, including for letting actor Steven Seagal drive a SWAT tank into a residence on a reality TV show and killing the homeowners’ puppy, through publicity stunts to appease his more racist constituents, like an “investigation” into President Barack Obama’s birth certificate. His persona of being "tough on crime" is more important to him than actually serving and protecting the populace he is elected to, and he has vindictively battled against any political figure who has even dared to suggest that more oversight or transparency into his department is needed (he won't disclose what taxpayer dollars are actually spent on in the MCSO). Arpaio was found guilty of racial profiling after the Department of Justice investigation into his department, had deputies testify that he ordered them to defy the orders of federal judges and continue racist policies, and after being found guilty, was caught during the appeal process hiring private investigators to shadow the judge’s wife and try to find something he might be able to blackmail him with. He admitted doing this under oath, but Sheriff Joe had the audacity to try and declare that now the judge was “biased” and should be taken off the case a month later. Shortly after Donald Trump made his announcement for president and said that Mexicans coming across the U.S. border were “criminals and rapists”, Joe Arpaio came to his defense, and said that criticism of Trump amounted to “violating his First Amendment rights”… which isn't how freedom of speech works, Sheriff, but hey, what can you expect from a man who once arrested the publishers of the Phoenix New Times for writing stories about corruption in his department that he didn’t like?

Now, some people might have wondered why CSGOPOTD has focused on a county sheriff on a yearly basis. Well, let's put it this way... not only has Arpaio been a bane on civil rights, and embraced racial profiling as standard policy during his tenure... he's been hailed a conservative hero for it, primarily because his target is often non-whites. Is he influential in Arizona politics? Absolutely, every GOP candidate in the state seeks his endorsement to claim they're "Tough on immigration". And it's not just Arizona. This dithering xenophobic methuselah endorsed Donald Trump for president, and was granted a speaking slot at the 2016 Republican National Convention while it was still being considered whether or not Sheriff Arpaio would face criminal charges for contempt of court. His remarks were delivered only a day after a federal judge stripped Arpaio of having oversight over his own Internal Affairs Department.

Somehow, nobody ever batted an eye about the fact that he's a county sheriff with an election war chest of $11.3 MILLION dollars. Stop and think about that... being an octogenarian, openly racist, criminal, overtly fascist, taxpayer-paying lawsuit-magnet was not enough to have stopped Republicans from donating $11.3 million in money to his re-election in 2016. There was at least, good news that Democrats managed to have retired Phoenix police officer Paul Penzone elected as County Sheriff, ending a quarter-century of racial bigotry from law enforcement in Arizona’s most populous county. The news would get even better… On July 31st, 2017, Joe Arpaio was found guilty upon appeal. He was scheduled to be sentenced on October 5th, 2017, and while his sentence could have carried up to a six-month jail sentence, the most common belief was that he would get house arrest for his crimes, because… well, cops don’t do well in prison if they’re sent there. There’s no way an 85 year old man who spent decades tormenting his own constituents would manage to avoid harassment from fellow inmates, right?

Well, long story short, Donald Trump is an ***hole. After a poorly-attended rally in Phoenix, Arizona, where roughly 4,000 people came to see him speak, and 10,000 protesters showed up… Donald Trump followed up his heinous response to Charlottesville that White Nationalists interpreted as his blessing by talking about a pardon for a man who ignored the Constitutional rights of minorities for 24 years. His rabid supporters applauded, and that was enough for Trump to give a pardon to Arpaio as Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas, because you have to prioritize helping out fellow racist fascists over saving people from flooding the likes of which the nation has never seen. And he did it before Arpaio was EVER SENTENCED. Now, Donald Trump hates… HATES Arizona’s U.S. Senators. Not just John McCain, but in particular, Jeff Flake, who he promised in 2016 he would sponsor a primary challenger against. Most thought Trump was going to back former Arizona State Senator Kelli Ward, a former CSGOPOTD who once hosted a town hall on Chemtrails and pals around with people who talk about black helicopters doing all sorts of government conspiracies to the good people… but in January of 2018, Joe Arpaio announced he was running for U.S. Senate at the age of 86. The “specter of racism” will never leave Arizona as long as Joe Arpaio can soil its politics, as he seems insistent upon. Arpaio mercifully finished third in the GOP Primary for his seat in that race, getting just shy of 19% of the vote.

And… we were hoping that this would be the first year on this date that we wouldn’t have to talk about Joe Arpaio, and Arizona might have removed a bigoted stain upon the tapestry of its long, sordid, state history for the last time… BUT NO, NOT YET. Joe Arpaio just announced a few weeks ago that at the age of 88… yes EIGHTY-EIGHT, he’s going to make a run for Maricopa Country Sheriff again in 2020, and attempt to avenge his 2016 loss to Paul Penzone. He is still as racist as ever, because when he was asked what he might do court Hispanic voters back to his side, he responded that he would “go where the good Mexican restaurants are.”

We keep waiting, desperately, for a year where Joe Arpaio becomes politically irrelevant.

The part that leaves me shaking my head the most is how the GOP are responding to every further incident of Trump corruption, Trump instability, Trump insanity, or Trump ignoring the Constitution by digging in and cementing him as their nominee HARDER.

Like, I get that it's operating like a cult these days... but must you really gulp down the Kool-Aid like someone's going to take it from you? Spies popping cyanide pills in movies don't seem this eager to ingest poison.
    I'm just worried that this is a rehearsal to cancelling the general election.