Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Comic/Comic Strip characters who DISAPPEARED (Pigpen from Peanuts etc.)

Pepper (y'know short dark hair, horned glasses) from 1960's Josie and the Pussycats - replaced by Valerie

Guy with mustache from Garfield - showed up in a 10th anniversary strip

Pigpen and a couple of Charlie Brown's friends from the 50's

Gwen Stacy's twin children with Norman Osborn - written out due to the negative reaction to this story. They didn't show during Dark Reign, Goblin nation or the Osborn series and are unlikely to ever show up again.

Young Justice supporting characters : Arrowette and her mum , Empress, Traya (correct me if I'm wrong)

Others?

Calvin's Uncle in Calvin and Hobbes, only appeared for a short two week storyline and then never used again.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The Legend of Lyman in the Garfield strip... there's the urban legend that he was murdered by Jon Arbuckle.

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post

Young Justice supporting characters : Arrowette and her mum , Empress, Traya (correct me if I'm wrong)

Others?
    Pigpen kept popping up in the cartoons, did he disappear from the comics near the end of Schulz's run? The most recent stuff would be the Boom comics issues, but I didn't pick those up. Maybe he appeared there?

I think the YJ ones are due to Didio for whatever reason disliking Peter David and trying to retcon most anything he did or at least ignore it. I want to say Empress popped up briefly in something, but I don't recall where. I'm just glad to have Impulse back...

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Calvin's Uncle in Calvin and Hobbes, only appeared for a short two week storyline and then never used again.
    Watterson regretted expanding Calvin's family, so he never did so again. The focus was on Calvin and Hobbes, not the adults, so he felt that the uncle distracted from that, IIRC.

Peter Fox's girlfriend Denise also went missing from the strip Foxtrot around the year 2000, after appearing for 13-14 years without any explanation of a breakup or anything.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

There was a black girl named Blondie I think who showed up for a couple weeks in the Bloom County strip. It was implied that Binkley might have a crush on her, but it seems like she was dropped almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Peter Fox's girlfriend Denise also went missing from the strip Foxtrot around the year 2000, after appearing for 13-14 years without any explanation of a breakup or anything.
    That's a shame. I liked her.

Pepper (y'know short dark hair, horned glasses) from 1960's Josie and the Pussycats - replaced by Valerie

Guy with mustache from Garfield - showed up in a 10th anniversary strip

Gwen Stacy's twin children with Norman Osborn - written out due to the negative reaction to this story. They didn't show during Dark Reign, Goblin nation or the Osborn series and are unlikely to ever show up again.

Others?
    I believe Gabriel Stacy showed up after Dark Reign wearing the American Son armor.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Pigpen was quite popular with the readers, but Schulz didn't use him much because he didn't like the one-joke nature of him. He's all over in the cartoons.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

In the Zits comic strip, Jeremy Duncan's older brother Chad (who used to appear from time to time, via phone calls from college) has been Chuck Cunningham'ed.

I doubt that very many (if any at all) folks herein read the strip Gil Thorp (about a high school coach), but the title character and his wife had two kids who no longer appear, even in the family photos they run every Christmas. Sad.

While it's true Pepper (as well as Albert) main characters disappeared from the "Josie" book. The way you word it is a bit misleading.
    Pepper (y'know short dark hair, horned glasses) from 1960's Josie and the Pussycats
    Pepper was never part of "Josie and The Pussycats" book as you say.

Since the original "1960's was just called "Josie" not the "Josie and Pussycats" as you suggest. Pepper (and Albert who yes disappeared too) just not from Josie and the Pussycats, they were never part of it.
    There was no "Pussycats" book (or band) until Valerie, Josie and the Pussycats only ever existed with Valarie.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    (and Albert who yes diapered too)
    Freudian slip there, Guicho.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Legend of Lyman in the Garfield strip... there's the urban legend that he was murdered by Jon Arbuckle.

The Garfield Show (the French animated program that was written by one of the lead writers of Garfield & Friends) did a whole story arc about Lyman, but we don't talk about that.

In terms of regular comic books, Wonder Woman had this problem quite a bit, IIRC, as often a new writer would come in and move her to a new locale with new supporting cast, often dropping the previous one. Some returned here and there, but a lot of them were forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    Freudian slip there, Guicho.